Official 2018 Nadeshiko Japan Thread [R] - なでしこジャパン(英語スレッド)

Discussion in 'Japan' started by blissett, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HS10Legend

HS10Legend Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Germany
    Club:
    NTV Beleza
    Spanish and Dutch teams sticking so much and tightly to 4-3-3 in so many cases and through all age levels (and in both genders) is also an insult to the players' intelligence?

Or does it make a difference, since it is a system that you prefer? or think suits them? And Nadeshiko Japan should copy that?

My thinking about that:
    Those 3 nations are doing the right thing by building on a program and using a style of play, that has led them to great success in the past.
    So why change a system, that is already working?

And if you are following, the German WNT:
    The lose of identity and not knowing which style of play suits the team the best (possession vs. direct play) is currently causing them all sorts of problems.
    So why bothering with that?

About the 4-4-2:
    Nadeshiko Japan is not playing the way, you have mentioned here.
    The classic way of using this system is, by playing with two talented strikers who are doing all the hard work and scoring all the goals by themselves,
    while everyone else is just there to defend: Some sort of kick-and-rush.

Japan (since i can remember) is playing a collective way of the 4-4-2,
    where all the players on the field are involved in attack and defense in the same way, which speaks for high cohesiveness and good team spirit,
    and could be described nowadays as a modern way of playing the game,
    regardless of where the players are standing on the field (formation).

And that's exactly the way Norio Sasaki's team has played in the past,
    and Takakura wants her team to play for the upcoming years.
    Have a strong defense first, and switch to a rehearsed attacking formation when in possession.

Football is a low scoring game, so the first aim should always be to have a strong defense that can keep you in the game, for you to have a chance to win the game.

Otherwise you will have the same fate as Argentina at the recent World Cup:
    With a shaky defense like that, even the best player won't be able to save you.

KAPIJXM, #5nadeshikofan and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure if U-17 WWC discussions not directly involving Japan should be kept here or on the dedicated thread...

Anyway, I noticed two things in the South Korea-Spain video:
    1) There were some players of Spain U-17 NT who were the same as U-20 WWC that I had seen in Brittany in August. Of course they had to be eligible, but I realize just now that Spain must have brought a very young NT at U-20 WWC this summer.
    2) If you look at the beginning of the video, there is a Korean player making the sign of the cross: I wasn't aware that there could be a significant Christian community in South Korea.

Obvious observation: Asian football didn't fare very well in this first match-day of U-17 WWC: two bad losses with 4 goals against and a 0-0 draw... :unsure:

unepommekun repped this.
  3. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    I do not mind them defending in a 4-4-2, but watching Nadeshiko against good opposition going forward has been pretty painful. You only need to look at the games against Australia in the AFC - particularly the final - to see how bad they were.

They did not play out from the back and generally lost possession under pressure or hoofed the ball up field to the opposition. At times in both matches against Australia it seemed like they were just ignoring the midfield, or more specifically the central midfielders.

I love Nadeshiko, but they were very lucky to win the final and if they had played a better team they would have been beaten soundly. What was worse is that they played the same way against South Korea.

Japan has some very good central midfielders, so why don't they utilize their strengths more? I just hate the way they give away possession. If Nadeshiko are technically superior to other teams then why can't they hold onto the ball against good opposition? Partly because they get overrun in midfield.

Takakura has played Ariyoshi in central midfield, which I think sums up how she views central midfield.

I am not completely against 4-4-2, but I would like to see a little bit more flexible tactically.

4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Sorry I posted those WWC highlights in wrong thread :oops::whistling:

blissett repped this.
  5. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    If it inhibits solutions the players would otherwise apply, yes, of course. Look, the coach's job is to combine the capabilities of the individual players and make the whole more than the individual parts, not restrict the individual players to make them fit a given system. The resulting formation may still be 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever, but the formation should never be the question but always be the answer to the best players available against the opponent they have to play.

Germany's case is exactly what I'm afraid of happening to Japan as well, for years they had a relatively decent system and strong individual players that fit together sufficiently to make an impact internationally, but they consistently failed to introduce more tactical flexibility and the individual strengths are now no longer a specialty. Decades on German women football is still surrounded by coaches incapable of basic tactical and strategical measures, and the focus in Bundesliga primarily is getting the (physically) best (often foreign) players, meanwhile the NTs of all age levels are essentially falling apart.

unepommekun, blissett and HS10Legend repped this.
  6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    1063054965181239297 is not a valid tweet id

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, two goals and she picked up the foul leading to the FK that Yokoyama converted in goal.

I cross fingers for our Manadona to stay healthy, because I guess she could really be our star at WWC; and when i say "our star" I mean possibly at Sawa-like levels. :ninja:

HS10Legend repped this.
  8. HS10Legend

HS10Legend Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Germany
    Club:
    NTV Beleza
    #4133 HS10Legend, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Her performance against Norway was impressive, and i also liked her partnership with Yokoyama. Slowly she is starting to play like the player, we were waiting for so long. The only question for me is now, can she endure the pressure of being the star and focal point of this team at the World Cup next year?

I think, no one is really happy with the way we played against Australia.
    We lost supremacy in midfield against them, and as a result, Australia dictated the game.

Norio Sasaki's midfield 2011: Miyama - Sakaguchi - Sawa - Kawasumi/Ohno

In the past Norio Sasaki had a creative winger in Miyama, and a fast-paced
    striker type of winger in Kawasumi or Ohno.
    So after defending in a 4-4-2 shape and recapturing the ball,
    we switched to a new formation, which was in harmony with the players' abilities and gave us significantly more opportunities to build well structured attacks.

Our attacking formation was very dynamic and in my opinion hard to describe in numbers: So at times fast-paced winger Kawasumi was joining Nagasato and Ando in the attack and we played some sort of 4-3-3, and sometimes we even played with a 3-back-line, when either Kinga or Sameshima were in Midfield,
    to help to create possession.

The ability to identify, which way of playing is the most efficient one for a certain situation, was one of the main reasons, why that team was so strong for a very long period of time. So the overall quality of the players and their technical and tactical abilities made the difference here, not where they were supposed to be on the pitch. This by the way, would be an outdated way of playing the game,
    not a modern one.

Our midfield against Australia: Hasegawa - Sakaguchi - Utsugi - Nakajima

This midfield is not on the same level as the one mentioned above.

(1) Nakajima for example is not a fast-paced winger like Kawasumi, so we can't
    really change to a more advanced attacking formation, as we could in the past.
    But thanks to very good youth teams we recently had, the team has now access
    to fast-paced winger like Miyazawa, Kobayashi and Endo.
    And once they are integrated into Takakura's team, we will be much more effective in the attack.

(2) Utsugi is probably the best option as a partner for Sakaguchi at the moment, but i feel we still need to improve there, if we want to be stronger than now.
    And Nagano is the player, I have in mind here.

blissett and KAPIJXM repped this.
  9. HS10Legend

HS10Legend Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Germany
    Club:
    NTV Beleza
    I agree with you. It should always be like:
    players available (leads to) > Formation, that can get the best out of the team.
    So i am not entirely against the 4-3-3.
    But the question is, do we have the right type of players to play this effectively?
    I guess we would have the midfielders, but who should play out-wide as
    forward-wingers? Yokoyama and Iwabuchi are forwards, but no winger (so they lack endurance and workrate) and Hasegawa is a winger but no forward (she lacks pace and power to beat the last defender)?

10. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    When I were to coach Nadeshiko I'd first ensure that they always outnumber the opponent in central midfield and dominate possession there. Everything else follows from there. I honestly wouldn't put much thought on wingers, Nadeshiko should never go for high crosses, so I'd use the full backs to ensure the width from the back. The nominal "forward wingers" would better position themselves in attacking midfield within the half spaces (Mana is already doing that very well on her own).

pierre bezukhov, And G and HS10Legend repped this.
  11. ManiacMunkie

ManiacMunkie Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Japan
    Nov 13, 2018
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ManiacMunkie repped this.
  13. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    5 mins to go...anybody got pics?

14. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    1-0 already, this starts well :D

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This one now working for me, although with no comment.

about 3' and 1-0, Haruka Osawa just scored, in the usual Uruguayan empty venue.

South Africa's defense looks quite ridicolous: I predict we're going to score again. :coffee:

Also: if Mexico didn't manage to score vs this team, I predict Japan and Brazil will advance, so I'd say it's time to shore up our goal difference if we want to win this group and have an easier way ahead!

HS10Legend repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  17. ManiacMunkie

ManiacMunkie Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Japan
    Nov 13, 2018
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's quite popular these days and I figured I'd ride it's wave [emoji41]

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, with no comment and the stadium so empty, you can hear everything the referee says to the players, when they're near the side-line!!! :giggle:

Lechus7 repped this.
  19. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And Osawa repeats for the 2-0, great :D

Manchester Nadeshiko and blissett repped this.
  20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I like this South Africa team, they don't panic and try to play they way out of trouble if possible. Japan's obviously level (or two) above but none the less disciplined team from Africa at this age category is something new and worth the praise.

datschge and HS10Legend repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Osawa scored again at 23'. Another horrendous display by South African defense.

We should take this one home quite comfortably: the African team tries to press and to be physical, but they're technically quite poor.

Our team have a little too many unaccurate passes for my taste, although in general their actions are good (and more than enough vs this South Africa; but vs a different team we should try being crisper).

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Almost 3-0: Osawa could have scored her personal hat-trick at 28', but her shot went just wide, grazing the far post.

23. Manchester Nadeshiko

Ehime F.C. Ladies
    Japan
    Mar 26, 2017
    U.K.
    Is it me or is this game being played at twice the pace as the last game

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, it's not you, it is. Both teams are pressing quite intensively, thus the mistakes in passing that I complained about earlier.

South Africans are trying to exploit their physical fitness, although it's not enough so far and our players control the game quite well.

And now PK for Japan.

25. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, this is going to be a big difference result I guess. :cool:

HS10Legend and blissett repped this.