Official 2017 Samurai Blue thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by HomokHarcos, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    But as far as performances go, and I was already watching back then, it was nothing special. He was physically good but he was casually making mistakes. At the top of my head, I remember the Nabisco final in 2009 where his blunder costed Frontale the victory.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  2. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    My main point is JNT cannot just rely on him, there need to be altervatives for him in case he gets injured or not in form next year. Ideguchi, Yamaguchi and Oshima are of a different type of MF imo.

3. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But who is that up too? Yamaguchi being on the bench is what they can do right?

4. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Up to Halilhodzic of course. He should be more willing to try more alternatives to Hasebe like Kobayashi, Misao and Taniguchi, etc. And what you mean by Yamaguchi on the bench? I don't think lowly of Yamaguchi at all, I feel that he has been performing pretty decently with his interceptions and pressing. He is a pretty decent B2B MF imo with his workrate and physicality.

5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ultimately there isn't anyone who duplicates Hasebe's passing, work rate, defensive savvy, and leadership qualities. I don't get the sense that Vahid would play a CB-type (Wataru Endo, Taniguchi) or bring in an inferior player for the sake of having a "real" #6 in the position, so I think it would be up to Yamaguchi or Ideguchi to slide over if the skipper is rendered unavailable at any point.

As for left back, I guess it's Gotoku backing up both fullback positions by default for now. I think Kurumaya is a terrific footballer and would love to see him called in...nope, not biased at all..

takeuchi repped this.
  6. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes, in fact:
    a) Italy was lucky enough to find Donnarumma, otherwise they would have been screwed after Buffon in a key-position. And still, Donnarumma not playing doesn't make any sense, since GD can't gain any int'l experience if he doesn't play with Italy (Milan is just returning UEL, but it's a little different).
    b) oh, I remember how Nakamura played against Syria. Or not? 4 friendlies in 18 months against Syria, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Oman.
    SYR - Shoji, Ideguchi, Kurata
    BUL - Asano (I wouldn't call Yu Kobayashi and Kashiwagi "experiment", but someone could explain me why the MVP of this season is ignored...)
    BIH - Wataru Endo isn't exactly an experiment, since he already played 2015 EAFF
    OMA - Yuki Kobayashi (Saito wasn't an experiment, just like Nagaki - who indeed debuted, but he wasn't called back: more a role-filler -, while for Maruyama... I just wanna laugh).

Three of these 6 experiments are now regular calls. So experimenting is useful, whatever your thought on these games may be.

Gordon1995 repped this.
  7. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Where did I say that experimenting in friendlies is not useful? I'm not following.
    I even acknowledged it would be fine to let Nakamura play against Haiti or NZ. But yelling because he hasn't played in the world cup qualifiers makes no sense.
    And by the way, Nishikawa played against Oman so the coach did experiment, even if I think he's crap

Donnarumma plays with the club all the time anyway and his time for Italy will come, just like Nakamura if he keeps up.

8. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    #283 Gordon1995, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    You are right on the point that there are no players which play the same position as Hasebe that are as good as him but Yamaguchi and Ideguchi are totally different to the type of MF that Hasebe is, they can't just slide over to replace him especially with regards to defending aerial threats, thats why I still think Halilhodzic should still try someone with a similar build and playing style e.g Misao, Tanguchi and Kobayashi, etc. . Like that, if Hasebe cannot play the full 90 minutes of a match in the WC or e.g when Japan secured the lead, they can come on and at least play the last 10-20 mins to help at least retain possession and close out the match. This can help reduce at least a little fatigue and unnecessary risks of injuries for the next match if possible. It applies to all positions as well. Having sufficient depth in as much positions as possible is necessary.

naopon repped this.
  9. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If it is about retaining possession, Yamaguchi is perfectly capable & good enough as Hasebe deputy. Makes more sense to drop Yamaguchi deeper w/ Shibasaki on to retain possession.

As for defending aerial threats, I can't think of anyone who will be effective just for that one role in world stage nor is Hasebe a truly good in that aspect as well.

Gordon1995 repped this.
  10. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    #285 Gordon1995, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    It seems that this might be the best option due to lack of choices available but I still think JNT should find a secondary DM similar in build and style to Hasebe. Yamaguchi, in essence is still a B2B MF. We need a taller and bigger player for the holding midfielder role.
    The midfield might get overrun if all the players are of the same build as Yamaguchi. Kante can do his thing because of a Matic or Bakayoko holding the fort.

11. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Problem with Yamaguchi is that he kicks the ball out whenever he's under pressure. He had a good start after the Iraq performance but he slowly faded away. Konno looked much better when he played but was mysteriously omitted the next time around, proving that Vahid can be a bit of a savage (Kiyotake is another exemple).

And I think we all agree that Hasebe is a great player but the Australia game showed that he slowed down quite a bit. But at this point, there's no other player whom we can safely say that he can come into the team and perform as the defensive Anchor.

12. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Hence,alternatives should be tried. Hasebe will be even further from his prime 9 months later from now, he might not be able to continue 90 minutes consecutively at the WC given how much he has slowed down. We don't want 2014 to repeat itself next year.

13. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You keep mentioning "alternatives" but even the ones you named, some aren't defensive anchors in the mold of Hasebe. Some are imo..... even more a box 2 box compared to Yamaguchi.

If you are so worried about aerial threats in final minutes... there are other options. Such as playing 3 CBs (could either push Shoji a bit forward or just play 3/5 in the back) to close the game.

14. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    9 months isn't gonna make much of a difference. And I don't know what you're referring to when you mention 2014. (almost) Everyone was confident going into it, the performances were decent.

15. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    I name them for their build other than their style. They might be more of a B2B too but they can be played as a holding midfielder, smaller MFs like Yamaguchi and others, especially Oshima cannot play that role that well imo. They mighy tend to give away the ball more easier and not withstand pressing that well.
    E.g, Taniguchi, from what I have seen is pretty defensive-minded, he has played as a CB numerous times this season and does not go the opposing teams' box. Misao and Kobayashi, etc. may be slightly more offensive-minded but I think they still can work the role well as I felt they are quite pressing-resistant and at least decent in the air.

Zacceroni did not really bother to find alternatives for some positions imo. Especially the CM/DM role, he persisted with Endo or did not at least change the tactics to be able to exclude him.
    IIRC, Japan started losing control of the midfield and got overrun when Endo replaced Hasebe.

16. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Taniguchi is too slow to play where Hasebe is.

naopon repped this.
  17. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Won't disagree with you on that but Hasebe as you can see in past few matches isn't really that quick too anymore. Taniguchi as a late subsitute to prevent over-tiring Hasebe would be a good option.

18. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just to note: no one is yelling, just arguing some of your considerations.

I don't think you can call "experiment" someone with 20+ caps in JNT. WCQ has sense when you're already qualified.

Gordon1995 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Asano, Muto, Kubo, Osako, Okazaki, Haraguchi, Minamino, Kagawa, Inui, Morioka, Sugimoto, Usami, Kiyotake, maybe Kakitani if he ever becomes good again, Doan, Nakajima, Saito, Honda ...
    There's so much depth at the attacking positions now and yet no one can string two very good performances in a row or stand out with their club. It's gonna be an intense year of reflection for Vahid, hopefully he turns it up a notch in terms of valuing talent over hustle ...

20. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really love the variety of attacking players in the pool. All of them bring something unique to the table. Hopefully the defenders will stay healthy, and the midfielders will take a big step forward in the next year.

21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GunnerTNB and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  22. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I have already seen "that movie"
    (but that was a good display)

23. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    The EAFF is coming. May Vahid be merciful and spare us from Takahagis and other Toyodas.

24. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    #299 Gordon1995, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Oshima might be too lightweight imo, don't think he is physically strong on the ball enough. His passing range and reading of the game is good though.
    Hope to see Nara, Nakatani, Ueda, Nakamura and maybe even Nakayama, Itakura, etc. playing there. Interested in seeing who Vahid will pick since it will be J league players only if I am not wrong.

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not news to anyone that Oshima has great qualities on the ball. But recently he's shown substantial talent for pressing, intercepting and dispossessing opponents - we should see if he can do the same against international opposition, rather than get hung up on his height and weight.