Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his first signing is Ciani - - ?? Anyway Sigi and Dom are our only hope right now. Let's hope they can construct a team (again) from almost nothing. Kind of fun for them, really.

Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think the Ciani acquisition was in motion before Sigi came here. LAG approved JVD leaving and Ciani was said to be his replacement a while ago.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I saw Phil Anschutz at the game last night, so he had a first-person view of what the team has become under current management....

Berks, ProudNatRN, shelbo and 7 others repped this.
  4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ciani is nothing more than a stopgap to provide temporary cover for past mistakes and unfortunate injuries. Let's see how he works out after a few games before we condemn the move as a failure. He wouldn't be the first foreign player to find it takes some time to learn the quirks of the league.

Or it could be another screw up.

Berks, ProudNatRN, JPAR and 1 other person repped this.
  5. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Empty seats should speak loudly to him.

6. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Empty seats should speak loudly to him.

TrickHog and rokstedy repped this.
  7. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I wonder how they deal with the idea Gio was brought in to increase attendance in one demographic against an 11% overall drop?

Also I wonder if the marketing department are feeling quite so self-satisfied with then results of their work these days. They took a whole lot of credit for attendance when things were going well.

8. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I expect that Lieweke had a large amount of input on the DP or "glitzy" purchases when he was at AEG, in part because of marketing stipulations with the TV contract and other sponsorship deals. It may be that Dan Beckerman has assumed that role now. It doesn't account for all sorts of other roster decisions, though, which fall below that level, including TAM purchases with league money. It's just that DPs require going all the way to the top to get approval to spend the extra money from Anschutz's own pocket while everything else is spending MLS bucks. So, my guess is that the AEG guys sometimes originate the DP ideas, in part because agents have connections with them from other dealings, and then AEG falls in love with them from a marketing perspective and demands they do something.

9. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG does own other soccer clubs. I would like to think SOMEBODY in that empire has a handle on player quality and not just following some agent's hype.

10. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    Opening up my fortune cookie the other day it read something like "thoughts lead to actions and about wishes come true" Well my Thoughts are to trade the Dos Bros to the LAFC, Get Rid of Pedro, Ciani, Jones.. etc and if my wish were to come true keep Ali and Boa and Lleget the rest are fair game for draft....

kaburu and shelbo repped this.
  11. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the 30 minutes (the last 30) against TFC, I'd say it's THIS!

12. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about justification, but it's easily explainable. The vast majority of Latino immigrants are very hard working people... Something that Gio is pretty obviously NOT!

13. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    With regard to that extended, closed-door, "playing for their jobs" meeting he had postgame with the players, it had to happen. I think one aspect specifically, is for justification to cut/sell/trade Gyasi. The decision to get rid of a hometown favorite isn't easy and some fans, especially the young ones will be very disappointed. The team is putting it on Gyasi. If the meeting/message came from higher up than Sigi, which it probably did considering the authority needed for those decisions, it's a nice move so that when/if it happens, the media can focus on results on the field instead of blaming the FO for getting rid of a fan favorite. Every players' performance in these last 6 games will serve as reason to cut or keep them.

14. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Mexican-American acquaintance who supports both USA and El Tri (sacrilege, I know, right?) and I asked his opinion about both Dos Santos joining the Galaxy. He pretty much said similarly to what you posted: Lazy, no work ethic, no hustle

kaburu repped this.
  15. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If Gio were a wide player then his poor play would be costly -- but at least we could try to work around him. But to have our central attacking midfielder gumming up and/or killing our attacks is a problem that is almost impossible to work around. Add in the fact that he plays no defense and we are doubly screwed. Really wish we could get someone to take him off our hands. Is it possible to send him on loan and get him off the books?

The Cadaver and kaburu repped this.
  16. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klein spoke a bit at a season ticket member mixer thing before the TFC game. a few takeaways i had:
    - they thought (or wanted to give him the shot, which i can live with) Gyasi would be the striker.
    - a lot of roster flexibility - only something like 7 players guaranteed next year. except at the most important spot (DP) where we have no flexibility.
    - if Zlatan came to MLS, it was us
    - robbie rogers injury during surgery a fluke
    - someone asked about gio and he said he needed to produce - pointed to his double digit goals/assists last year. apparently only the 4th LAG player to double up i both

The Cadaver and hav77 repped this.
  17. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    perhaps we can sub in "Cosmo" for Gio...?

MPNumber9 and kaburu repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Weak sauce. Gyasi was always a complementary striker not a primary one and had only produced more than 4 goals once. (Compare that to other strikers in the league!) Robbie Rogers injury was known before we released AJ. As far as Gio - I warned everyone that last season was a one off. He had a long history of not producing. You don't just ignore history and pick a players peak as their expected production for the following year. Plus he no longer had Keane around, a player who increased both the assist and goal numbers of players who played around him.

19. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hypothetically speaking, can we just cut Gio at the end of the year? I know he has a guaranteed contract, but could we then use the DP slot?

I would think we could trade both Gio and Jonathon to a Mexican team and make most of our money back. Can they refuse a trade?

kaburu and hav77 repped this.
  20. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol :laugh::ROFLMAO:.

21. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean there still season ticket holders left? How can Klein have the gall to open his pie hole?

22. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, we can hypothetically cut Gio in the off-season with the "buyout one guaranteed contract" mechanism. It would cost us quite a bit of money but we could.

You can't trade a player to a non-MLS team. Both clubs have to agree to the transfer fee (or a free transfer if applicable) and the player moving between clubs has to sign a new contract with the new club. If the player doesn't want to sign with the club interested, he doesn't have to. Think Freddy Adu when he just waited out his contract with Benfica because he knew he wouldn't get nearly as much if he moved to another club.

23. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I’m going to call bullshit on this. Yeah, the nerve damage may very well have been a fluke, but nerve damage recovery is almost always a huge unknown. I’m not a doctor, but a couple of people who have had nerve damage have told me their prognosis after surgery was the nerves either repair themselves or they don’t. Doctors can do everything right and it still might not heal.

Rogers’s surgery was in December; AJ was traded in January. If the front office knew Rogers had nerve damage their decision to trade AJ was negligent.

JPAR, barroldinho, hav77 and 4 others repped this.
  24. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

hav77 repped this.
  25. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Steres is one of those guys who was likely playing for his job. He won't have any more chances this season with that kind of injury. He still seems like cheap depth at this point, but some of the guys who brought him from the G2s and through to the senior squad have either already left or won't be around too much longer. So, he has to be worried how the decisionmakers for 2018 think about him.

Berks, L.A. Native, hav77 and 2 others repped this.