Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. soft tattooed millionaire

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 11, 2017
    Seeing "Lletget" back on pitch was such a good sign.....

The Beautiful Gamer and L.A. Native repped this.
  2. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Geneva repped this.
  3. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Remember, this is only a list of the players who qualify for free agency based upon age and years of service in MLS. There are other LA players who are at their end of contract or for whom the Galaxy have team options.

4. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Per the link, this is not quite correct. The Galaxy have a team option for 1 more year of Robbie's services under his existing contract. He will only become a free agent if the Galaxy choose not to exercise that option. Furthermore while I don't recall the exact free agent process, I seem to recall that he and the Galaxy could negotiate a new contract before he enters into the free agent draft.

Geneva repped this.
  5. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geneva repped this.
  6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw that Galatasary (sp?) looking to unload Nigel De Jong. I'ld tsake him back in a heartbeat. Do we still hold his MLS rights?

7. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oh crap. I forgot about the town hall meeting last night. I planned on going but, it totally slipped my mind. Anyone go or hear anything noteworthy?

JPAR repped this.
  8. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Don't know if you guys saw this, but it turns out that I can personally guarantee that 2018 Galaxy will have an impressive season ... even if I have to play in semi-pro mode.

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  9. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw on Twitter that De Jong will be joining DC United in January. I think Kevin Baxter reported on it.

TrickHog, barroldinho and hav77 repped this.
  10. natfaninla

natfaninla Member

Jan 18, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if he'll get railroaded out of the league again

TrickHog and hav77 repped this.
  11. forie

forie Member+

Sep 14, 2007
    Costa Mesa
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised he is coming back to MLS. He must be getting a good paycheck because the league definitely threw him under the bus when he left LA.

Berks, MPNumber9, galvanator and 2 others repped this.
  12. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why?! He didn't score any goals for the Gs.

MPNumber9 and barroldinho repped this.
  13. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

His treatment after leaving was ignorant and disgusting. I was exceedingly disappointed that the league would allow something like that video clip to be released. I don't know that I'd come back after that.

14. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reliable paycheck and consistent playing time. I wonder how his game will hold up with VAR.

15. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team needs to be blown up down to the foundation. Just a bunch of mis-matching parts stuck together to form a "team." FO seems like they need an overhaul also. I think PV and JK were given too much control over building the roster. Along with CK, we effectively had less than 5 years of combined experience building a coherent roster. They all just seemed to be in over their head.

With LAFC coming in next year, this year is seriously going about as bad as we could have envisioned. No long-term plan, marketing still needs to improve, fan experience needs to improve, green front office, and players don't even play for the fans or each other. We were due for one of these years and that's fine. What I can't excuse is a bad roster with no discernible plan.

Did anyone go to the "town hall" this week?

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to experience putting a team together....
    LAFC's Thorington has zero years doing it. Let's hope he screws up as badly as our guys did.
    Sigi needs to back up the proverbial truck.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others have mentioned it, but lots of dirt on last week's COG podcast. Baxter has alluded to the fact that the previous coaching staff didn't want Gio or Gerrard, but he gets into it in detail here around minute 30. Also sheds some light on the de Jong situation (whom Bruce DID want to keep):
    http://cornerofthegalaxy.com/2017/0...ind-value-in-some-while-others-arent-winners/

The most interesting revelation here is that Arena apparently didn't have final say on roster choices and whoever does has been conspiring to make us terrible for more than this season; Arena was plugging the dam and was probably happy for the chance to get out (the last part is my speculation)

Berks, ragbone, hav77 and 6 others repped this.
  18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's insane. Arena was coach and GM and didn't have final roster say......

Sigh....

hav77 repped this.
  19. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully LAFC do but I have a feeling they will be closer to ATL than Minnesota (who are actually higher in the table then we are currently...)

I still don't understand the Ciani signing, especially since we were so far out of playoff position. Conservatively, we probably need at least 5 new starters:

1. RB
    2. LB (could be Romney)
    3. LCB
    5. ST
    6. GK
    7. Creative hub (someone similar to Vazquez on TFC)

Then we need to figure out what to do about Zardes. His salary is too high to be a bench guy. Do we spend the TAM over the next two years with the hope the cap makes a sizable jump in the new CBA (along with even more TAM) and his salary becomes far more manageble? Or do we trade him or sell him to Europe (I think he could be a great fit in Belgium)? Hopefully we don't bring back Jones. What to do with Pedro (I'm in favor of moving on now that we have Jona)? We can put Lleget and Jona in the middle, Drini on the outside, find another creative player for the other wing, Gio and new ST, plus rebuilt backline and GK. That should be a pretty strong team and hopefully we won't have as many injuries. Even though I would like to sell one of the Dos Santos', it's not going to happen. Which means we have to do a better job with our TAM next year.

ProudNatRN, hav77, The Cadaver and 3 others repped this.
  20. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Who is making these decisions, I always thought Bruce had final say.... Is it Klein or is it someone higher up?

Whoever it is, they are killing us. As others have said, this team needs a major re-build.

21. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Everyone should listen to this podcast, at least from minute 30 - 45. Talks about how "management" (implying Staples Center management) didn't want De Jong to stay, they basically screwed him. Attendance down over 11% from last year, no surprise, and how Gio was forced onto Bruce to get the Latino community interested. Also talks about Gerarrd and saying his Medical wasn't thorough enough and that his hamstrings were gone from the day he arrived.

I for one have repeatedly blamed Klein and Vagenas and think they should both be fired, but maybe it's AEG making many of these decisions - like going with GII and Onalfo. The Kings are a dumpster fire as well...it scares me for next season.

natfaninla, MPNumber9, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  22. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scares me for long term future. Honestly if LAFC works and LAG doesn't seriously improve, attendance could get so bad that the team is moved or replaced by one of the hungry expansion markets. It really seems like AEG might be content with a slow agonizing death.

23. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, that was such a depressing podcast. Apparently it's not just Klein, Vagenas and Onalfo, it's AEG too.

In some way, this reminds me when AEG put Alexi in charge to generate publicity, and Ruud as coach to generate publicity, and Beckham as the DP to generate publicity. It was a shambles until Bruce stepped in. I have a feeling we're going to have to hit bottom (and no, we haven't hit bottom yet) and then bring in someone with enough power to clean house. Bradley might have been that person, I don't know who else is.

MPNumber9, TrickHog, JPAR and 1 other person repped this.
  24. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sigh* AEG too, huh? Don't they understand the LA fans? If your product wins, fans will pay to eat it up. Winning leads to profit, profit leads to ____? for AEG.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  25. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Sigi believes he has authority re: player personnel. Let's hope he's right. We'll see.

Berks and TrickHog repped this.