Official: 2017 Rumor and Roster Moves Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Nov 6, 2016.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, made it a round farther than last season. Let's get ready for 2017.

2. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #2 L.A. Native, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    I always had that feeling this year that we were never really in a form good enough to win the cup so moving on is easier now. Just pissed on wasting the talent we had.

First pieces of business have to be bidding farewell to Gerrard and probably Keano too, unfortunately.

Actually, first piece of business for me is to shave this itchy-as-hell playoff beard.

TrickHog, Beakmon FC and MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team is going to have figure out which eleven are going to be protected for the expansion draft.

Which means the team (and us fans) will probably have an idea of the future of Keane, Donovan, Cole and Gerrard. I can't imagine we'll protect any player that we know is either going to retire or move on.

hav77 repped this.
  4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane, Donovan and Gerrard are all out of contract at the end of the year. If we could expose them in the draft, I would, but I thought that there was a proviso that you must protect DP's. Does that apply where the contract expires in a month? (And I know LD is not a DP, but I am sure he could be exposed because everybody else knows he's not about to agree to play for them).

5. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine if you combine the salaries of [Keane+Donovan+Gerrard=$$$$$$ good for a Prime Young Players]
    I would like to take this opportunity and extend my thanks & appreciation for their service to:
    Keane
    Donovan
    Gerrard
    Gordon
    Kennedy
    Magee
    Romney
    Larentowics
    Baggio Husidic
    all this equals to at least 3-4 quality young players plus academy add-on great team next year!

6. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would only quibble about Romney who is young and not paid much. And all of this assumes they could actually find three or four good young players rather than blowing it all on a retread has been.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd keep Husidic and insert Garcia on that list. Same deal for Romney and Leonardo.

8. Esc-soccer

Esc-soccer Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Inland Empire, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see players like [Jelle Van Damme older] but game after game all-out, if that was his attitude great! I just don't see that, Is Van Damme style of players you need in a very even league like ours. This is what I see a bit more in Garcia them Husidic, he even looks fragile to me.

9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless that's new a rule added to the new CBA, DP's have been made available in past drafts. Claudio Bieler, Jairo Arrieta, Tim Cahill and Thierry Henry were all left unprotected in the last expansion draft.

However if a DP has a no trade clause in their contract they must be left protected.

The Cadaver repped this.
  10. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification.

11. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Just from a clarification standpoint. Does a DP with an expiring contract at the end of 2016 need to be protected if they had a no trade clause if their expiring contract? I would think that the no trade clause expires with their contract and they don't need to be protected.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  12. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have those same assumptions. I imagine Thierry Henry had a no trade clause but was out of contract after 2014.

13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I see the recurring theme “drop old players and bring in youth”. How does LA accomplish that, from a practical standpoint? The Galaxy business model is heavily reliant on the name brand DPs and has been since Landon arrived. Championships, quality of play, name-brand players that have been with the team for > 2 years don’t seem to move the needle or even maintain the status quo (see: attendance in 2012 w/Donovan, Beckham, Keane, 2 Supporters’ Shields and an MLS Cup)

Count me 100% in for LA signing Giovinco, Lodeiro and Piatti for 2017, I just don’t see how LA gets there without a fanbase that goes to games come hell or high water.

rm1r0, The Beautiful Gamer and Gacm32 repped this.
  14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how do you move to having a mature and sophisticated enough fan base to come for "just" good soccer? Are we forever destined to be captives of the casual people who follow the "flavor of last month." I am NOT saying you are wrong, but I am searching for a strategy to getting past where we are now and take the next step as a fan base.

I've said this before: Hollywood MAKES the next stars. Why can't LA's team do the same?

Of course, it would present a marketing challenge.....

Dawdler, WarGalaxy, ProudNatRN and 2 others repped this.
  15. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think we already have our "star" in Dos Santos. He brings more people to the stadium than Gerrard or Keane did from a star stand point. I'd argue Keane brought people in for the good soccer, but because he was Robbie Keane.

16. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to float an idea, here. How about bringing in a top-notch central defender and moving Jelle to left back. It's his nat5ural position and he can still defend like a maniac.

17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    It’s a very good question. Most of the original MLS teams have failed to make or even try making the transition to what Seattle and TFC have, but Sporting KC has shown it’s possible. I’d say part of the problem is the feedback loop LA has, their “big name” player strategy has largely paid off. SKC didn’t have much to lose by targeting the market they did, LA does.

My working theory is second and third generation Galaxy fans will demand it. If 1996-2016 represent first generation fans, they were a mix of soccer moms & dads taking their AYSO kids to see a game, immigrants who were desperate for anything and weirdos like you and I who liked soccer despite its pariah status in America.

Picking an arbitrary point in soccer history, let’s say soccer became “cool” when Landon scored that goal against Algeria. I think the kids who were 10-12 years old for that game who didn’t grow up with the stigma that soccer was for losers will demand it. When they have the purchasing power to replace that first generation in enough numbers. The ones who sit at centerfield with their parents buy look over at ACB and LARS and want to enjoy the game from there. That’s long term, short term …

Taking out my dead horse bat, yeah marketing. It genuinely stumps me the Galaxy were unable to parlay the 2010-2012 are in to sell outs. How do you squander a double-winning side of Landon Donovan David Beckham and Robbie Keane? Ditto Landon’s “retirement” season?

I don’t see anything about the marketing side of our organization that shows they know how to address creating a sustained and engaged fanbase outside of riding the coat-tails of Dan Bekerman’s rubber stamp.

LAFC will spur them on, like Chivas USA did for a brief period when they actually tried. For as much grief as I give them and their “fans” they are doing a remarkable job of building brand equity. Between their stadium size, branding efforts and yes, location I’m certain LAFC will sell out every game. I’ve seen commentary from Klein they’re ready for LAFC, but I don’t think they are. There’s a gap in LAG’s institutional knowledge they don’t seemingly recognize is there. I’m interested to see what happens in 2018 if and when AEG steps in with a more direct hand and who in the front office steps up and who gets dismissed.

The Cadaver and hav77 repped this.
  18. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    LA Times Kevin Baxter with News

MPNumber9, hav77 and L.A. Native repped this.
  19. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #19 L.A. Native, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...t-hell-be-mls-2017-other-galaxy-vets-stay-mum

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. – Just after losing out to the Colorado Rapids on penalty kicks, the questions started flying about the future of a veteran-heavy LA Galaxy team – and its coach.

Two of LA’s Designated PlayersRobbie Keane and Steven Gerrard – are out of contract at the end of the year, and did not start any of LA’s three playoff games. Head coach Bruce Arena is also out of contract, and has so far stayed mum on his future.

“The makeup of your team changes a fair amount year to year but never keep a team together in the long term because of our various rules and the salary cap,” said Arena when asked about not only his own status but those of some key players from recent championship runs.

Although Gerrard did not speak to media, Keane did address his future after the game, noting that he could wind up an opponent of the Galaxy in 2017. When asked by reporters post-match about his next step, Keane said confidently, “I’ll be playing next year, somewhere. Whether that’s here or somewhere else I’ll 100% be playing in the league.”

The future of Landon Donovan, Major League Soccer’s all-time goals and assists leader, is also up in the air after his surprise return to the Galaxy for the stretch run. Donovan, who originally retired at the end of the 2014 season before making his comeback, stayed mum when asked about his next move.

“It’s not the time to talk about that,” said the US International legend before trailing off, “you’ll see me – I don’t know where, but…”

Arena gave a similar reply regarding Donovan’s future, saying, “I don’t know anything about next year. We just finished playing. I haven’t got in to 2017 yet.”

As for Arena, the Galaxy head coach and GM seemed to indicate that a return is on the cards, but didn’t offer anything concrete to the assembled media one way or the other.

“I don’t talk about my contract,” the five-time MLS Cup winner said. “As of now I am [going to be back] but we’ll see.”

Ok, I got it. [​IMG] Bruce is GM/Director/Czar/High Priest. Sign Keane as a Player/Coach so part of his salary won't count against the cap. He comes on as a sub if/when needed(though if he's coach, he may sub himself in at 10'). Then use a DP spot for LD and get a DP #9 (or winger and start Zardes up top).

---------------Keane---------
    ---------Gio------------------
    Ema--Lletget--LD--Zardes
    Rogers---JVD---Steres--AJ
    -------------Rowe------------

Maybe McBean or Lassiter to start up top? If Cole stays, I'd rather AJ at CB.

20. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see Donovan as a non-DP super sub/spot starter. If he's a player coach too, I'm cool with that as well.

I can almost guarantee the Keane doesn't want to come off the bench. He'll want to start and wear the armband. If Keane wants to start, score goals, and be treated like a hero he should move to Shamrock Rovers.

21. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I was hoping this too, but I have the feeling that the team still wants a "big name" and that probably means someone who plays in the EPL. But as long as we restrict the DP to one of two positions, I still think we're OK.

--------X--------------------
    --------------Gio-----------
    -X--------------------------X
    ------------Lletget-----------
    ---------------X---------------

As long as the new player doesn't play the position of Gio or Lletget, I'm fine. Either a true 9 or a true wide player with Zardes taking the opposite position.

-----DP/Zardes------------------
    ----------------Gio-----------------
    X----------------------DP/Zardes
    -------------Lletget----------------
    ---------------X---------------------

I'm not sold on Donovan returning, but if he does, he plays the other wide position.

So, at the top of my off-season to-do list:

1) Do not re-sign Keane and Gerrard
    2) In the summer, sign a DP 9 or wide player
    3) Find a high-end but not DP DM

TrickHog and WarGalaxy repped this.
  22. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Some salaries

Cole 300 - one more year maybe , but it's too much for an outside back
    Magee 250 - Too much and too old
    Kennedy 195 - Nothing to be said
    Larentowicz 175 - If he was younger, that would be fine, but he's not.
    Gordon 175 - I'd be willing to keep him. Restrict his minutes to keep him fresh
    Leonardo 165 - I'm on the borderline here. OK to cut, but he's solid depth

We have too much money in old players and we don't trust our cheap youth enough to play them. I really hope we cut some salaries and don't replace them with MLS retreads. I'd like to see us bring in at least two south americans in the 200k range each.

natfaninla and TrickHog repped this.
  23. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excerpt from above:

Arena gave a similar reply regarding Donovan’s future, saying, “I don’t know anything about next year. We just finished playing. I haven’t got in to 2017 yet.”

As for Arena, the Galaxy head coach and GM seemed to indicate that a return is on the cards, but didn’t offer anything concrete to the assembled media one way or the other.

“I don’t talk about my contract,” the five-time MLS Cup winner said. “As of now I am [going to be back] but we’ll see.”

Translation: I haven't answered any questions all year. Why the hell do you think I will start now?

Beakmon FC, GalaxyKoa, ragbone and 4 others repped this.
  24. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015

Transcription error or is Keane implying he’ll play next season in MLS, just not necessarily with the Galaxy?

Keane is up there as one of my all-time favorite players going back to his days at Tottenham, but I’m on the fence regarding him coming back as a DP, if this season was an aberration and not the first stages of inevitable decline he’s still one of the most dangerous attacking players in the league. Not sure where LA stands with TAM, but if he’d accept a DP deal that could be bought down I’m all in. Ditto Landon, there were moments when he was very good, but there were also moments when he gave the ball away really cheaply leading to chances for the opponent.

galvanator, TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  25. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing we know FOR SURE is that a Keane/Gio pairing up top does not work and never ever will. Zardes in the #9 role is necessary unless we sign someone new. That midfield--really front 6--is WAY WAY WAY too attack minded. No solid 90 min defensive help at all. We'd probably give up 3+ goals/gm.

WarGalaxy repped this.