Official 2016 European Cup Thread (FORZA AZZURRI)!!!

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Nov 14, 2015.

?

How far will we go in 2016 European Cup?

1. We will be celebrating in Saint Denis at the end!!!

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. We will be disappointed in Saint Denis for the second European Cup in a row.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We will get out in the Semifinals.

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. We will get out in the Quarterfinals.

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  5. We will get out in the Round of 16.

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  6. We will have an embarrassing Group Stage Exit.

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    The Portuguese league has dropped to 7th spot. Just sayin'.

2. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya and there are a bunch of nobodies playing in the Portuguese league actually.

Deleted User x repped this.
  3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well Germany doesn't have really a world class striker either. Klose retired. Gomez is aging and still has quality but nowhere near world class, and he is a shadow of what he was 3 years ago. Gotze is lucky to make the bench for Bayern in most games. Kruse is average and plus he might be banned from the national team. So really they have no world class striker either. Muller and Reus can play there, but their best positions are wingers or attacking midfielders. So seriously we are kind of similar to Germany in that sense, but Germany are still the favorites.

4. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's not really the quality of players that separate Germany. It's their continuity of system/players/coaching over 10+ years.

Whereas we seem to have a new formation/group of players/coach almost every time the team gets together.

5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah that is another thing to look at. Germany has had Low for years, and the same system pretty much for 12 years at least. But I was trying to point out if Germany is this good without a world class striker, I don't see why we can't be.

6. DiogoPT

DiogoPT Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bunch of nobodies that made it further than the Italian teams this year

artielange84 repped this.
  7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    we really don't care about Portugal. Stay in your own forums.

forza_azzurri and Rosay repped this.
  8. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Sad but true.

9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Great job. Make it further then us in the Euros and I'll be impressed

10. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I jumped the gun.

As pathetic as Italy did by only getting 11.500 pts. Portugal did worse with 10.500 pts.

11. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Calcio Pauly repped this.
  12. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Rosay and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  13. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Anyone think Bonaventura makes the cut? I want him there but his form hasn't been that good as of late and Conte never seemed to favour him

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well the funny thing is Conte always calls Bonaventura but never actually plays him. I am not sure whether he will go or not, but anyway I am not too concerned with him. He has been out of form and we have other players, although he would be useful.

Rosay repped this.
  15. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya that's what I mean by not favouring him, Conte sometimes calls him up not always if I remember correctly. And he never plays him. Maybe in training he is a bust or can't adapt to Conte's tactics

16. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Official pre-Euro 'stage' call-ups:

Portieri: Federico Marchetti (Lazio), Antonio Mirante (Bologna), Marco Sportiello (Atalanta);

Difensori: Francesco Acerbi (Sassuolo), Davide Astori (Fiorentina), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Armando Izzo (Genoa), Angelo Obinze Ogbonna (West Ham), Lorenzo Tonelli (Empoli);

Centrocampisti: Marco Benassi (Torino), Federico Bernardeschi (Fiorentina), Antonio Candreva (Lazio), Danilo Cataldi (Lazio), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Lorenzo De Silvestri (Sampdoria), Stephan El Shaarawy (Roma), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Emanuele Giaccherini (Bologna), Jorge Luiz Jorginho (Napoli), Marco Parolo (Lazio), Roberto Soriano (Sampdoria), Davide Zappacosta (Torino);

Attaccanti: Fabio Borini (Sunderland), Citadin Martins Eder (Inter), Ciro Immobile (Torino), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Leonardo Pavoletti (Genoa), Graziano Pellè (Southampton).

Milan, Giuve, Manchester United, PSG and Anderlecht players were omitted because of Coppa Italia/FA CUP/Coupe de France/etc.

Stamos repped this.
  17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sad about no Berardi or Gabbiadini. But to be honest Berardi didn't have the best season in the world, and Gabbiadini hasn't had that much playing time. Anyway good to see Pavoletti given a chance.

Rosay repped this.
  18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think our front three must be Insigne-Pelle/Zaza/Pavoletti-Bernardeschi. Do you all agree?

Rosay repped this.
  19. Totti=GOAT

Totti=GOAT Member+

Sep 16, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Why no Belotti?

calabrese8 repped this.
  20. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also no Saponara or Vasquez or Sansone

21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah we need to start playing him. I understand Conte doesn't want to introduce too many new faces though. He is already forced to do it in midfield because of Marchisio and Verratti, so this is why no Belotti, Berardi, etc.

22. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But in Gabbiandini's case the lack of playing time could have been advantage; many times in the past players who played less during the season for whatever reason excelled in the following summer's international tournament.

Rosay repped this.
  23. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Did you watch Berardi play? Or are you just saying "didn't have the best season" by looking at his stats this year when compared to last year? Sassuolo is probably going to Europe next year...and their whole offense was built on his right side. His defense and tracking back are stellar. Everyone forgets that he's not actually a center forward and is not supposed to consistently score 15-20 goals a season. Candreva (who is 8 years older and generally considered by many as one of Italy's best players) had 10 goals and 3 assists this year. Berardi had 7 goals and 6 assists. Three less goals but three more assists if we are going to play the stat game. Did Berardi break out and become a superstar in 2016...no. But he essentially had a similar season as the last two when it comes to quality. There is no doubt that for him to take his game to the next level he needs to go to a bigger club. He should of probably made the jump after last season. But saying he had a weak year is false. It just feels disappointing in retrospect because he didn't take a huge leap forward like most of us were hoping this season.

Because Conte is a moron. Leaving Berardi, Belotti, Vasquez, and Gabbs out is comical. Especially when Eder and Borini get picked instead. I even feel bad for Rossi when substandard players like Borini are preferred to him. Other than continually ignoring Saponara, I don't mind most of his other picks, but at forward he seemingly has no clue.

Conte says only players that perform on the pitch will get selected...Eder scored 0 goals after moving to Inter, while Belotti scored something like 11 goals after the winter break.....right.

afar and Stamos repped this.
  24. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good squad. Can't complain much about it.

Darmian, the Juve 3, Gigi, Sirigu and Bonaventura will make the 30.

Rugani hopefully will make the cut but he's a long shot. Though if Conte is insistent on a 3-man backline, then Daniele should be there.

It'll be interesting to see who makes it in attack. He'll likely go 5 defenders, 10 mids (including Darmian), and 5 in attack. Zaza and Pelle are likely making it. Insigne should if there's any justice in this world.

I wonder if Giovinco and Pirlo are 100 percent out or if Conte knows enough about both to exclude them for now...

25. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Another Milan player is going besides Bonaventura, whether it be De Sciglio or Antonelli. Maybe even Montolivo. I don't think Pirlo and Giovinco are out. Conte knows what they have to offer plus they are both playing in a game this Wed. I'll be at that game in Toronto

falvo repped this.