Official 2016 European Cup Thread (FORZA AZZURRI)!!!

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Nov 14, 2015.

?

How far will we go in 2016 European Cup?

1. We will be celebrating in Saint Denis at the end!!!

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. We will be disappointed in Saint Denis for the second European Cup in a row.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We will get out in the Semifinals.

5 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. We will get out in the Quarterfinals.

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  5. We will get out in the Round of 16.

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  6. We will have an embarrassing Group Stage Exit.

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Marco Delvecchio

Marco Delvecchio Red Card

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    yeah two goals. I dont think they'll lose points in this group. I'd rather face the anyway so we can beat them.

2. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Albania wont win the euro's. Oh I guess that means they will now.

Grow up idiot.

Rosay repped this.
  3. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    hahahah! Italy weren't good against Belgium they said. The whole world was saying how good we were and it was the best performance out of anyone up until Spain beat Turkey. They always overrate themselves and always get a rude awakening. Losers. One goal scored in two games in the weakest group of them all says everything about Portugal.

calabrese8 and forza_azzurri repped this.
  4. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Portugal is so shit I love it

5. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can see how you got a yellow card.

Get a sense of humor.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  6. Marco Delvecchio

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    :)

Theyre so great they draw with Iceland then go goalless vs Austria. Their fans do it to themselves. All talk and no action.

7. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even our own "fans" were saying Belgium were shit against us. When actually it was just us playing really well.

Sux to be a Portugal/Sweden fan atm.

8. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is it ok if I change my vote? I have a good feeling that Italy will make it past the group stages.

calabrese8 repped this.
  9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Please go ahead, thats why I made the poll for it to be allowed.

I honestly think we might be contenders to win it. Seriously take a look:

Belgium: we beat them quite convincingly, and they will struggle against high pressing teams. They aren't that good against other big teams.

France: they will not win it. Really overrated just as I thought before the tournament started, and if Romania and Albania didn't already prove it, Switzerland did yesterday. They are a good team, but not nearly as strong as people make them sound.

Germany: Maybe they will win it, but they are not as strong as they were in 2014 world cup. Some key players left and while on paper maybe not too big of a loss, trust me they were a huge loss off the field. Remember players attitude off the field is just as important if not more.

Spain: Only other team that I see could win it. They do have extraordinary talent, and look promising in their matches. They did struggle against the Czech Republic but still managed to score one and get the win. While they battered Turkey.

Croatia: They are my dark horses. They have looked promising to me, and I think they have a slight chance.

So far this is how I would rank the teams that are in the Cup:

1. Spain
    2. Italy
    3. Germany
    4. Croatia
    5. Belgium
    6. France
    7. Portugal
    8. Czech Republic
    9. Poland
    10. England
    11. Switzerland
    12. Wales
    13. Iceland
    14. Hungary
    15. Slovakia
    16. Northern Ireland
    17. Albania
    18. Republic of Ireland
    19. Austria
    20. Russia
    21. Ukraine
    22. Romania
    23. Sweden
    14. Turkey

totti fan repped this.
  10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #560 totti fan, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Had a look at their record over the last 2 years they beat Italy, France, Russia, US. Big teams. Worst result loss to Portugal.

And disagree with your high pressing statement. Note Italy did not press them high. Spain does press high which is why Belgium would beat them.

11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We didn't press them high, but we closed the midfield. Spain presses really high with the ball though. I meant high pressing without the ball like Jurgen Klopp's style.

12. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are gung ho about having over 65% possession in the first 2 games and that eventually they will score 5 against Hungary. Don't they know that opposing teams are perfectly happy with giving them possession as long as they are kept on the outside.

13. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Seriously, France's road to the semis can be Czech and Poland. While we could conceivably get Spain and Germany, but most likely Croatia and Germany. Right on if Poland can top the group, but I can't see them overturning the goal differential vs their rivals the Ukraine.

I was wondering why the Swiss didn't push to get the winner yesterday, they seemed content with the draw. If they could have won that they'd have an excellent chance to get to the semis, now they will probably meet Spain in the quarters if they get there. Same with Albanina, I am sure they were ecstatic about the win but they probably needed to win by 2 or 3 to have a chance.

14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its all about luck. This happens in the world cup as well. All groups can affect your team. However the winner will probably win no matter what.

15. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    France's easy road to the final is by design. Host teams can do whatever they want

PhuckHead repped this.
  16. PhuckHead

PhuckHead Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Yeah and France has the advantage in the number of days between matches. We are disadvantaged in that area.:thumbsdown: And to correct Rob420 -- in the second KO game, France faces the runner-up of either Group B or F, not Poland's group. That is England's Group or Portugal's Group. Possibly a game against Wales or Hungary & then on to the Semis.:ROFLMAO: No wonder the bookies rated them so high.

17. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    True, so their draw is even easier than I originally thought.

18. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well it looks like England and France will meet in the quarterfinals. England have a great record against France, and if they beat them, we might have a good route to the final as long as we get past Germany.

19. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I will always support Italy and I obviously hope they win but I can't help but feel like I'm watching Juventus play...

The whole thing - from the way they play right down to the personnel - is all Juventus.

I know they haven't conceded a goal yet and I'm happy the defence is doing well but the team plays like shit. I mean who are we kidding here?

20. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I've been watching Gli Azzurri since 1982. I've seen way worse play than this. The team is playing well as a unit and taking their chances for the most part. Frankly, when is the last time Italy has won their group outright after 2 games? It's been a long long time. Just get on board the Azzurri wagon and see where it takes you. It might surprise.

Rosay repped this.
  21. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The gambit of teams in the tournament aren't that good and our group has been very tame (when on paper it shouldn't have been).

I feel like if Chile had the opportunity to compete they'd probably reach the final.

Hell even USA is more competitive than half these teams.

22. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2010 was a lot worse than this side and 2014 was too. 2012, despite making the finals, had us playing some ugly football for most of it.

Its only been two games but so far, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

The Azzurri has always relied on Juve. Look at 2006 - Buffon, Cannavaro, Camaronesi, Del Piero. Lippi and his guys.
    Why do you think Sturaro made the team..?

Rosay repped this.
  23. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Aside from the final we played some very nice football the whole tournament.

Rosay repped this.
  24. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wasn't impressed with how we played against Croatia and we failed to put one away against a very average English side. And of course that final..

Prandelli's calcio was boring and Spain-lite. Prandelli tried to be trendy and we lacked the toughness Conte has brought to this side.

Conte is telling stories on the pitch. Major motion pictures that even the great Marty Scorsese would marvel at. You're watching a director who is at his artistic peak and is exhibiting genius tactically. Its fascinating to watch.
    This is indeed Antonio Conte's L'Italia.

Rosay repped this.
  25. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #575 canzano55, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    For better or worse - I'd like to think for worse...

I'd be interested to see what Conte can make these guys do when they're down a goal and chasing a result. So far they haven't had to deal with that problem but law of averages dictates that they will eventually - only when adversity sets in can a team prove their worth. My bet is when Italy is down a goal they're going to struggle big time - at that point Chelsea executives are going to start questioning themselves for hiring a manager who has a big mouth but no plan.