Official 2009 Pre-Season Roster Thread Part 2:: Vide's Gone

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA played Roberts as a CB, but I think he is more of a DM or fullback. He just doesn't have the positioning and smarts to be a CB.

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the update on the report, DCU is not looking to sign Roberts:

[update] I spoke with DCU general manager Dave Kasper, and he said the team is not pursuing anything with Roberts, who had been in town since Wednesday. Plans for Mediate have been put off until next week.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm, then why is he here? There has to be some sort of interest or holding out hope that maybe he becomes part of the contingency plan at some later point if he comes in and is training.

4. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't the roster have to be finalized by this week tho'?

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the secret plan is to push Olsen for 90 Sunday, then put him on IR for 6 weeks to evaluate it - like a mandatory caution for tires in NASCAR :)

6. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Thanks for dredging up this thread - I was looking for it but couldn't find it. So this appears to blow up the theory we had that United was going to be clever with the new IR rule. I'm quite surprised that we wouldn't use it, given that we have Q, Fred, Janicki, and McT now all legitimately injured. The team is saying, in essence, that they'd rather have all four of those guys unavailable and taking up spots on the active roster for the next two weeks rather than declaring one out for, say, six and having Dom actually available to play in the meantime. I don't get that. One interpretation is that, kind words to the contrary, they don't actually rate Dom that highly after all...

7. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I think that's the only conclusion to be drawn. He is owed the kind words because of his attitude and service to the club, but I don't think he was going to be a major contributor to the club this year.

I wish him all the best in his search for another club. I always appreciated his effort and the class with which he conducted himself on the field.

8. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone mentioned that the new 24 man roster limit SUCKS?!?!

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It was definitely mentioned on the league teleconference yesterday.

10. cykelFlicka

cykelFlicka New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd be kinda pissed at KP... I feel like they strung him along all preseason, making it seem like they were going to figure something out and then just dropped him because they needed the space for a crappy goalkeeper.

11. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The GK space didn't really matter. If we had gotten Platter, he would have taken a senior spot as well (but hopefully we wouldn't be bitching about a crappy keeper at this point. ;))

With the new 24 man roster, there are only 4 dev spots and 20 regular spots. A full 28 man roster would have opened up a couple more senior spots and reserve spots. If you think about it, 24 spots gives us two full lineups with 2 spares. One of those spares is a 3rd keeper, which could be optional given the MLS goalie pool. The other spare is for whatever else.

Given that 5 senior guys on the team either cannot go a full 90 at this point or are prone to injury - Benny, Jaime, Gomito, Fred, and Crayton, only having a depth of 1 is very nerve-wracking and IMHO, a terrible way to construct a team. I love our new guys but it took us all of one game to have to start rookies. Thankfully, said rookie is frickin' awesome (Pontius) but I have a feeling that he'll be chewed up and spit out by Chicago's defense.

I'll stop now before I really start to depress myself.

12. cykelFlicka

cykelFlicka New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    No kidding. Of course, the logic behind constructing this team apparently is akin to quantum physics, as nothing seems to make sense. ;)

13. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting analogy - the team is both injured and uninjured at the same time. Now if we put them in a box with Schrodinger's cat, what would happen? ;)

14. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    That's easy.

The probability that the cat would be injured would approach 1.

All other possibilities would vanish.

15. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they don't rate six weeks of Dom as highly as four weeks of Fred, Q, or Janicki. Do you? I don't. I just don't see that it makes any sense to place a starter on six-week IR when he's only going to be out for two.

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as a physicist, I approve of this.

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how many hamstrings would the cat have pulled?

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

19. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Cool, an official seal of approval for my ersatz physics reference. Now, what would happen if you were to pass the cat through a slit? Would you get particles of cat or cat waves?

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm pretty sure that would bring back Freddy Adu.

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Only if the cat died in the process.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd get particles of one very pissed off cat.

Or as sitruc said, Freddy Adu.