Official 2009 Des Moines MENACE Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by IASocFan, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so why wont Benny Taylor be around for the playoffs, and please tell me he changed his mind...? When Des Moines hoists the cup this year, he should be there standing right next to Molony.

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    His college went to England for preseason.

3. Calcio Supporter

Aug 7, 2001
    Slight edit, his college, Drury, went to England for its preseason training.

4. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone going to tonights' game?

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
  6. IowaClone

IowaClone Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Kc, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please, go and boo Thugger bay for me.

7. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Oh we did. Last night was fun. It was a night of faint praise for one and despising the other. When Real Colorado scored we all cheered and chanted "Thunder Bay sucks"

8. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    i honestly expected thunder bay to win that match. so when i looked up the score i was like "OOOOOH SNAP thunder bay owned by the EXPANSION TEAM!"

9. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I am PSYCHED that I'll be finally going to a home match this year. I took on an extra gig at work for the extra money and resume padding, but between that and Fire Superliga and US WC Qual/Gold Cup matches, I've hardly had a chance to see the boys in action (Reason #1,001 why I'm glad they kicked a$$ in the regular season).

I'll be bringing a college friend who I got hooked on the Menace two years ago. We may have to sit in the section and add some voices.

10. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Sounds good.

Pre-game tonight at Legends on 50th and Mills Civic. 5:30 guys!

11. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <insert> comment about how we won't be hearing from bc chill fan for a while because his mouth is full of crow </insert>

Shall we organize a walk-in this evening? Everyone meet at the locked gates in the upper lot at 7:15. (of course however we are all meeting at Legends around 5 anyway (an important game such as this requires a little more drinking time))

looking forward to it boys!

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    YES! Meet at the upper lot locked gates. If you know people that will be at the game that will not be at legends, tell them.

13. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    And FYI... tomorrow at Limeys at 2pm for USA vs Mexico Gold Cup Final.

14. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Sit down or get out! I don't care who you are!" Big words from a little ref...

He let that game get out of control Krause was right in complaining about the player's temper tantrum in kicking the ball the tables. It was reckless, unprofessional, and unneeded. After a decent start, the Foxes qiuckly turned into dirty divers; their poor sportsmanship was a disgrace. I started to wonder if Thugger Bay beat up the Foxes after last night's game and stole their unis for tonight...

By the way, I finally made it to a a game this season!!!!!! Almost have the wife talked into Friday night as well!

15. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that center was fcuking awful and has been all season. Nepoleon complex if I've ever seen one. I'd be surprised to see him ref another PDL match. Belongs at the U-8 girls level.

It did have the intensity of a DM/TB game. Although I will say Colorado was a good team, unlike hacks of Thugger Bay. They managed to scare us a handful of times, including that offsides call. Did anybody get a good look at that? Was it a legit offsides call or did the officiating crew's incompetence play in our favor?

The march-in was fun. Wish we could organize that every game. I think some sort of tifo is in order for friday. Any ideas?

We can discuss at the US game at limey's pub tomorrow at 2...

Take em all!

16. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

some old dudes [coaches i think, one of them the drake coach] were talking to Casey after the game.. they got good eyes on it. was legit offsides.

17. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on that side of the field it was tight, but it was a legit offsides. Maybe about two or three steps. The linesman on that side was actually pretty sharp.

18. Menace Insider

Mar 15, 2008
    Des Moines
    We are considering promoting the Red Army march-in to all Menace fans this week. It was awesome on Saturday and I know the players really loved it. I would like your thoughts on this though. In my opinion, the bigger it is, the better.

I can send out a meeting place and time in our emailer for other fans who want to be a part. I'm also working on posting the video of the march-in on YouTube so fans know what I'm talking about.

RA please give me your thoughts.

19. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, that would be awesome. Seattle does something like that with all the fans involved, not just the ECS. I'm for it.

20. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJyK_pBIvyA"]YouTube - The Red Army Wants You!!![/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8gUw4Gh3as"][/ame]

21. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha at the 23 second mark, who does that ball bounce off of?!

The more I think about it the more I think a big march-in would be badass. but doesn't it run into certain logistical problems? Like, the gate. How would the whole ticket situation work out? Also, once inside the gate would those who don't sit with the RA just split and go sit in the regular bleachers or would they join us in the north end, at least until the team goes into the locker room?...

I think it could work though if its organized so someone is selling and collecting tickets of those participating at the top of the hill. However, ideally if only we could get permission to enter the top gates and we could march down the long staircase that goes down that hill inside the stadium (or even better, the metal stands cuz that'd be loud as hell). thats my two cents anyway.

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I like how we have it now, going through the crowd that is out by the stands. Regardless, the ticket issue won't be a problem. We can just collect all the tickets and hand them all at once to the table so that it doesn't slow the march down.

Hopefully the march will lead those people to stand with us for the match :) Although a march down the stands I guess wouldn't be a bad idea.

23. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've asked this before in years past trying to get the Menace to broadcast Open Cup games, but is there anyone who would be interested/able to broadcast this weekend's playoff games?

The three teams making the trip to Des Moines would really love to see it happen, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who can do play by play.

We tried to work out a deal where I travel there, but only two of the four teams were willing to chip in to cover the cost.

It costs $30/game to put a game on the air ... if anyone has any suggestions/ideas ... let me know.

24. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad the players liked it, and I agree that the bigger the march in the better (way more fun). But I wonder how many people will join us just by us advertising? It seems like all of the people who would actually be up for marching in already sit with us, while everyone else sits in the main bleachers with their thumbs inserted in their anuses until they're cued to cheer by the appearance of the t-shirt cannon.

Hmm... Hmm... Maybe we should borrow the t-shirt cannon for the walk-in! Or we could just tell them that the RA will be throwing out t-shirts at the end of the march-in. Whereupon we will throw out the ginchiest unwashed wolf-themed t-shirts the DAV has to offer.

25. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I hope that's not a backhanded compliment toward wolf t-shirts.... don't knock em!