Official 2009 Des Moines MENACE Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by IASocFan, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL.com, has announced the 2009 organization. See details at
    PDL 2009 season details announced.

Heartland Division: Des Moines Menace, Kansas City Brass, Real Colorado Foxes, Rochester Thunder, Springfield Demize, St Louis Lions, Thunder Bay Chill

The league will also play a 16-game season for the sixth straight campaign with games based primarily upon their divisional alignment. The season will open May 1 and conclude July 19.

The playoffs will begin with the return of the Divisional Championship playoffs (July 24-26) for the first time since 1998 with each division seeing three teams advance to the postseason. The second seed will face the third seed in the First Round with the winner advancing to face the top seed from the regular season in the championship

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Thunder Bay in the Heartland. Hooray ridiculous scheduling!

On the flip side, we have a new travel destination for a potential Red Army road trip. Rochester is only 3 hours away.

WAIT WAIT? No more Boulder?? [​IMG]

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Real Colorado Foxes are in Boulder! :p

I wonder if they'll meet my definition of real foxes? :D

4. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    naw, Highlands Ranch is to the south of Denver, opposite of Boulder ;)

5. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I'm going to miss Peter.

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    So with Boulder out of the league, does this mean the deal for Thunder Bay not to travel with CO is also dead too? :D

7. yessir

yessir New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Thunder Bay will be playing all divisional opponents this year.

8. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Source?

But that didn't answer my question. Thunder Bay can play Real Colorado without having to travel there.

What I really want to know is will there still be the incredibly unbalanced schedule. Playing everyone is not enough. Traveling to every team is better but still not enough. They need to get rid of any of the 2 home and home series. It sets up potential opportunities for 2 extra games against weaker teams, like happened last year with Springfield. That's spotting them 6 points.

It's completely possible for Thunder Bay to play two different teams on each road trip. Rochester and Des Moines could be one weekend, St Louis and Springfield the next, and then while a trip between KC and CO is tough, it would only have to be done once. You could have one lone weekend of Fri/Sun matches if needed. The remaining four matches (when you include those teams traveling to TB) should be two home and aways against four different teams.

9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Crap! No Crapids! Anyone know why they folded? They were always highly competitive. Sad about TB winning it all maybe?

10. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Probably $. Peter probably got tired of throwing money to his pet project. It's pretty well known that while the team was taken care of, they did operate on a shoestring budget because they didn't make money.

I remember hearing a story, I'm not sure if it is true, that Peter didn't want to make the Open Cup because of costs associated with it. Apparently before the 06 coin flip he said "Good luck", someone said "You too" and then he responded "No I mean it, good luck."

11. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats pretty rad there's 7 teams in the division. well 6 1/2, depending on how you wanna count springfield.
    how far is rochester? im thinkin we could get a couple car loads up there.

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I told you the other day it's 3 hours.

13. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 hrs and 15 mins says mapquest. not bad snakeeyes.
    you go to london yet or is that next month? i was thinking it was the 6th of dec.

14. bc chill

bc chill New Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Thunder Bay Chill
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And let the crying begin. Unfair schedule, blah blah blah. Travelling to every team is still not enough? How about Thunder Bay only gets to use 9 players, does that sound fair??? Oh wait, we usually end up with 9 anyways. Ok 7. 7 players. Plus, we'll spot every team a two goal lead, and we'll hitch hike to all the games.

15. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    post count = 1. Wonder who THIS is now. The mystery continues.

Oh and you guys already play with 9 players often.

16. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much does it suck to be the only Thugger Bay fan? Don't you have a board of your own?:cool:

I like how balanced the schedule is this year. Still wonder why they would put a Colorado team with the midwest when there are teams geographically closer to them in the mountains.:confused:

Any thoughts about other teams possibly dropping out before the season begins? I mean, the economy is in the crapper. Speaking of which K&G has managed to have higher gas prices than everyone else for the last month and a half, at least on the south side. Could that spell trouble for the Menace management?

17. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Wait, where did you see a schedule?

I dunno but I've been getting cheap K&G gas on the north side.

18. Mitch the Butcher

May 12, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of you guys planning on making the trip to Columbus in February for the Mexico match?

19. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I will.

20. Mitch the Butcher

May 12, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rock. Anyone else?

21. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad. I meant that it said that the Chill will at least play the Foxes. The schedule probably does not exist b/c the league may be waiting to see how the poor economy will affect less financially stable franchises.

I noticed that in WDM too. Must be b/c the south side stores are all retrofitted Kwik Shops which we affectionately refer to as Skum & Go...

22. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bet if I can gather the funds for it.

23. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seriously considering it! Southwest has $69 one way flights out of KC which might be the price performer.

24. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't bring any luggage. They'll stick ya w/o even buyin ya dinner first.

25. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    New Menace website. I'm one the fence if it's better or not.