Official 2009-2010 Des Moines MENACE Post-Season Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 13, 2009.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Re: Official 2009 Des Moines MENACE Post-Season Thread

I missed it, was watching NFL and NASCAR pre-race.

2. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I caught the game at a starbucks and it took a lot not to got nuts with the goal. But I missed NASCAR prerace?! Damn!
    It was a game of momentum shifts and OSU didn't really look that great at stretches. Drake played a defensive style and it paid off this time. BC will be tough too. #24 vs #13. If they make the Final Four, anyone up for a trip to N.C.?

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

I might be in.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not in the Des Moines area, but if Drake makes the Final Four, I'll be there.

5. Menace Insider

Mar 15, 2008
    Des Moines

Just heard that there should be something coming out about where Menace play next season and it looks like Valley is probably the choice again. I know the FO knows about the beer/tailgating issue but with Valley being a public school, they can’t find a way around this at the moment despite effort. I know for sure that being a public school there are guidelines that pretty much restrict anybody from being able to tailgate there, even after the Menace fought with the rules. There are some options in the close area that would work and still keep everyone happy though. Not sure if you’ve looked at them but those areas aren’t protected by the school law. I am pretty sure the FO knows about the issues there are with Valley, but I think there’s also some “minimum requirements” that they have to follow to be in good standing with the league. Valley is the only place that can actually service all the requirements as well as provide enough parking without having to walk the streets and feel “safe” enough for everyone. (I.E. Drake.)

On another thought, I know that the FO is dedicated to growing the sport, and has been following the likes of the Sounders and Timbers, and pretty much thinks those are the best clubs to follow in the USL (or Former USL). They have a culture, but that whole culture is created by the fans themselves. They started small and the fans were always a part of the team, and tried to work with the FO instead of against. I know that the main reason the Sounders and Timbers got to where they are is because they had a huge loyal fan base and that’s how they ended up making the move up. They had to start somewhere. I’m not sure if you have ever actually worked with the FO on how to build the Menace base with dedicated fans but am pretty sure the FO wants to help out where they can.

Just some thoughts. If you’ve reached out and the FO hasn’t responded, that’s one thing, but if you haven’t even talked to them or tried to work with them, then that’s everyone’s fault.

6. Prester John

Prester John New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Captain for Life!
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are they really considering anywhere else?

7. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then it looks like I'm going to get to see a lot more of the Barnstormers this season.

http://maps.google.com/maps?num=1&t....561582,-93.761787&spn=0.003958,0.013733&z=17

As for tailgating possibilities near the stadium,
    -The lots directly north and west of the craphole are obviously the school lots for the craphole itself. We have been told that we can't tailgate there.
    -directly east is an elementary, and then Southwoods High School. Both WDM schools, so I highly doubt tailgate would be allowed there.
    -south is a church. yeah.
    -north of the craphole's lots is the city hall and library. I'm gunna just take a stab in the dark and guess that they're not going to be cool with us tailgating there, either.
    -across the street, to the west is a neighborhood. I guess we could ask them if they'd let us tailgate in their yards:rolleyes:.
    -That leaves the lot behind Legends. I don't know about everyone else, but that is not an acceptable walking situation. Crossing four lanes, having to go all the way around the stadium, and a decent sized hill involved. Yeah, I think I'll pass and go to a team that sets up a team sponsored tailgate in a lot right next to the arena.

Oh well, I'm sure our "4,000" fans are going to continue to look great in a 10,000 seat high school stadium, that has some of the worst fieldturf out there. BTW, I know this might come to a shock, but ALL high school stadiums in the area have parking that would suit at least 4,000 people - so that argument is stupid, at best. Especially since most high schools actually have a decent parking set-up, unlike Valley's - which seems to only have parking for less than 1,000 at the stadium itself.

Waukee was EASILY a better situation, but we got kicked out because they were making some renovations, or so I was told. Now, the place is much better than Valley, in every. single. way. Yet, we go crawling back to the craphole.

8. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not against the FO. In fact, as an aspiring entrepreneur, I admire KK. But like my mother used to tell me; "I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed." (which somehow always ended up feeling worse)

Like I have said, tailgating is more than just grilling my amazing burgers and drinking beer on beautiful summer evening. It's about an event. It's about being visible to other fans, and other potential supporters. Since we got kicked out of the parking lot, and had to move to a bar, our RA numbers dropped off. The games got more important and the RA got smaller. And I don't blame people.
    It's incredibly hard to recruit soccer fans and supporters to come out and join us because we are constantly trying to legitimize the supporters club/the league. Regardless how awesome Ben Taylor, Garrett Webb, and Sean Molony are, we spend our Saturday nights screaming our lungs out for an amatuer soccer team. And now that we can't even tailgate, I think our numbers have peaked.

But this goes beyond the tailgating too. The Valley atmosphere is awful. And like Maniacgooner said, we have to deal with the turf and the annoying handball lines.
    I said for me to continue to go to games next season, the Menace would have to change leagues or change stadiums. If we changed stadiums and not leagues, I think it would be easier to legitimize because of the negative way Valley stadium is viewed and we could make the club seem bigger than what it is. Having tailgates where we don't have to hide is crucial.

I would be more than happy to open dialog with the FO. Personally I have not reached out to them, but I have heard several others say they have emailed them but have received no reply. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.
    Insider, what is an email address we can use? An email that would respond with more than lip service.

I would like to close my rant with this: I would argue that we may not actually model ourselves after Seattle and Portland. Portland uses a minor league baseball stadium for their club instead of stubburnly insisting only on a SSS. Something I have been an advocate of in Des Moines. But even more importantly, in 2008, Seattle drew several hundred less than us as a USL1 team (and that was with a home opener that drew 10,000. Their next highest game was 4,000) Yet they made the leap to the MLS and now they average 30,000+ and are the poster child for the league. I'm not saying we belong in the MLS, because that would be stupid, but I think my point is made.

http://www.gregs-mom.com/USLAttendance08.htm

9. Menace Insider

Mar 15, 2008
    Des Moines

I am not sure what email address people have been sending their stuff to, but know the emails on the Menace site all go to real people. I have heard that they are all pretty approachable and would start with that. They may not give you all the answers you want but would at least listen to you and your ideas. here's a link to their contact on the Menace site. I think all their emails are under each name.

http://menacesoccer.com/team/staff/

10. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I imagine Todd to be the one to email? I'll plan on that and I guess if not, he can foward it on.

11. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

OK, so it's Valley for two more years. There is nothing we can do. If the Menace had an option they felt was viable they would have done it. They have explored options.

I think the wrong approach is to say we aren't going until they leave Valley. C'Mon some of us have been going for years. Some of you just started more recently. There is a reason why they are putting in the money to rehire Calloway. I think it's get us back to where we were a few years, when LBS was a real possibility. I think this is a stepping stone period for the Menace.

I also think it's the wrong time. Last year was really the start of the Red Army going from a few people wanting to have fun at matches to a few more people wanting to give our team a home field advantage. We added some good voices that sing every time, additional drums, and got a spot behind the net. Our work last year was a recruiting for some players, including Maloney. This past season we built upon that with even more people, more streamers, scarves, and greater recognition from the other fans.

This next season or two, with Calloway in charge, may just be the point where things grow even faster. There should be the most fun to be had yet. In his last stint, he brought an entertaining aggressive attacking style of play that we like to see. His stature at this level brought in many great players including Boltnar. I expect we will see that again.

I'd say at least give it one more year. This next season has a lot of potential. Consider these the Menace's Naperville years. :)

12. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sounds like someone is pulling rank. :p

13. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:d:d:d:d bulldogs are going to the elite 8!!! Beat boston college 6-4!!! :d:d:d

14. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Just saw that result. WOW. I can't believe it really.

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just watched the video highlights of the game. wow. The interviews afterward are worth a watch too. The response from their captain is priceless. One more win and I'm booking a flight to Cary.

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cary and Chapel Hill all use the Raleigh-Durham Airport, you should take in all three games! :D

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kansas City has a Drake Pipeline!

19. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shrout is a good buddy of mine and I played college ball with Kuhn's older brother (that'd be kuhnscoot). -Both of whom I rooted against when the Brass played the Menace this summer.- And going to Drake (and to almost every home game this season), I got a lot of skin in this game. I'm a little anxious actually.
    Anyone hear if the game with be streamed or televised or anything?
    The gamecast sucked. Long breaks between updates and when Webb tied it up in the 56th, they actually credited BC with the goal so there was a couple of minutes of pissed of confusion for me.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everything I've seen is that it'll be streamed on the NCAA's website.

21. Spaceball

Spaceball Member

Jun 15, 2004

According the UNC website, they will be streaming it live and there is a link to the feed here:

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/unc-m-soccer-body.html

Between this and the WC draw, Friday is going to be a great day for soccer!

1 person likes this.
  22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Speaking of the World Cup Draw... if anyone is in the area, and are free or can make themselves free at 11am on Friday, stop by Victor's Sports Club on 75th and Douglas to watch the live draw on ESPN2 and talk a little soccer.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Come on you bulldogs!!!!!!

25. *buz*

*buz* New Member

May 3, 2008
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well, ****. came out too defensive and the backline players ended up letting them down.
    great season for our bulldogs though.