Official 2006 DM Menace Thread (R)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by menacemaniac, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Re: Official 2006 DM Menace Thread

So, down to business.........

How many should we expect in the tailgating area next Saturday? Does everyone understand where to go? It really is worthwhile to hang and consume some beverages before the game.

It is a great way to get to know those in the stands with you.

2. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

I won't be there - i'll be in KC

i'll hopefully be able to go on the car pool down to one game that SnakeEyes wants to carpool to (was it the Lions or Brass game?)

speaking of SnakeEyes.. i sent him a PM after the pickup party and he hasn't answered

3. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Well......he IS a bit of a shady character ;)

4. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

still no word from him...

5. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

GAME TONIGHT----- MENACE vs. DRAKE. 8pm Valley Stadium. Be there or be square...........:p

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Just got home from handing out flyers. Was about to post that. I'll be out there.

7. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

been worried about you and your disappearance off the face of the earth!

i left work right as fanatic posted about the game and didn't get on and read it until after the game had already started

couldn't come anyway, fiancee needed the car :(

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the notice. :)

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

3-1 Menace. Boltnar with two, one of them a slow roller that the rookie keeper should have gotten, the other from a free kick just outside the 18. Don't remember who had the other. Can't really tell you much more than that as I don't know the new guys. Boltnar and Disang were connecting up well and looked to be getting into form. Disang put a blast just over the crossbar in the second half. Kother looked solid as did Hamburger. Talked to him afterward and there is still a definate chance Chris is with us for the season. Blake Siberz, playing for Drake, controlled things in the back for them, stopping a few good Menace chances and winning balls in the air. Jack Belanger, the kid foregoing his senoir year at Ankeny, looked like he fit right in.

Looking forward to seeing what them again Saturday night.

Heard Danilo is supposed to get in town next week.

10. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

FYI... learned today that post-match location this year for players, fans, and FO will be at Woody's BBQ on Carefree Lane in Waukee. It's right off Hickman, across from the McDonalds, East of Warrior Lane.

11. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

For those new this season, Menace kickoff is at 7:30pm. We are able to tailgate, including adult beverages (see * below). It's not uncommon to see people bring food, grill out, and play music. BYO.

To get to the tailgating spot look at the map Here
    The stadium is inside where Ashworth/V Ave. bends South.

For those not familiar with the area, 290th is Hickman Road. Both Hickman and University have I-80/35 exits. After taking either of those exists, travel West to get to Warrior Lane. Take Warrior Lane to Park Road. You have to enter from that side because the western portion of Park Road, where we tailgate, is one way.

*Park on the south side of Park Road. That side is Centenial Park, where we are allowed adult beverages, and not school property.

12. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area

Word on the street is that Hamburger will be back this year so he can finish up college in the fall.

Take that for what you will.

13. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Dang it! I really had hoped that we had finally ridden ourselves of that hack.
    Just kidding......actually I am glad that he may be back. I want him to be drafted by a DECENT MLS team so when I get tickets and some "insider goodies" they are atleast from a team I would like to see play. Would have killed me to have to root for the 'Zards, even if someone I knew was on the team. Heard he is doing some coaching for an Academy girls' team, not sure who he made angry in the organization-- but somehow his punishment is coaching a group of U14 girls! :p

I did hear from a reliable source that he won't be playing tomorrow night, but will be on premises. Look out for his mug, and make sure you all flip him some crap. I am also not sure if Disang is 100% yet after the ankle injury, but he must be close after scoring two against Drake.

Like every season, expect big changes between the Menace you see take the field tomorrow night and the team you see in week 2 or 3 of the season. For those new to this, that would be due to Spring College season and some of the marquee players not making it until the Semester is out.

14. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Disang had two against Drake? I thought the slow roller right in front of the net was Boltnar's and I know the free kick shot was his.

15. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa

Hey SnakeEyes...if you see a short fat guy like me with a wife and 2 boys aged 12 and 9...that is my boss...they are going to their first Menace game tonight....treat them well...they will be looking for your tailgate. I will be at home tending to our garage sale that my wife will kill me if I miss.

16. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Will do, looking forward to seeing new and old faces tonight.

FYI... Menace home games will be broadcast on 98.3 FM this year, including tonight (surprised since they also have NASCAR races and there is a short track night race tonight)

I think I am going to show up to put up the banner and get the streamers into the stadium at 5:30 or so tonight, with tailgating starting shortly after that. :)

17. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, that whole having the most points in the league thing really sucks. :rolleyes:

And the whole having three World Cup roster members thing too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GREAT SHOW TONIGHT, MENACE. This thread should have an [R] in it.

What's with the obnoxious piped in music.

SnakeEyes, good job with the cheers.

19. Menace Fan

Menace Fan New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Joe Riley Park

Would like to hear a report when possible, crowd, atmosphere, play.

Also, who is broadcasting the matches on the radio? ANy chance they have a live internet feed? Would love to listen to the matches I can't attend and the away matches?

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As usual, Lisa Colonno did a good job with the writeup in the DM Register:

Menace celebrate '05, then top Sioux Falls

The atmosphere was great. The crowd went wild with all three goals and a shot that looked good but landed on the top of the net.

21. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

shame i missed the game

Was a nice atmosphere at the match in KC - a supporters section in full fire gear was in one corner - about 20 or 30 people strong - then various other fire supporters throughout the stadium - and the KC fan club in the opposite corner

the ref sucked arse though

even my fiancee [who wasn't into soccer until i got her into it this year] was heckling the ref :D

we'll probably join in that carpool down to St. Louis next sunday

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Kansas City... who else is interested in going?

btw.. busy weekend, I'll discuss last night later.

23. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Fantastic game Saturday night! Oddly enough, that was my first live home game ever (the Open Cup in KC being the only one I got out to last year). I've actually seen more of the Menace on TV than in person, but that will change this year.

Anyways, so the planets aligned and I was able to get away for the night. Best decision I've made in a long time. Unfortunately, I got there just as the anthem was beginning, so I didn't get to introduce myself. A few points...

1.The concessions were surprisingly good. Great hot dogs.

2. They announced that Red Bull is a sponsor. There was a cooler full of it at the concessions stand. Anyone know if that is just for Des Moines, or is that for the entire USL? Well, at least we aren't "Red Bull Des Moines" now.

3. The crowd was very good for as chilly as it was. The suspense was palpable as it got closer to 90 minutes. They REALLY went nuts after Boltnar buried that shot. I was afraid we'd pull a Chicago and dominate the match only to end up with a draw or a loss.

4. As far as the music goes, I don't mind a little music during stoppages, but I do mind when it is during the run of play. Hopefully that won't be such a problem. I did have to laugh when they cued the celebration music when the ball landed on the top of the net (it reminded me a bit of Nick Hornby's recollections of Cambridge City in Fever Pitch).

5) Red Bull and hickory smoked jerky gives one the endurance to make a late night drive back to Cedar Rapids.

24. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC

Get used to it. They'll usually play music over the fans singing, too. It sucks.

25. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

My only complaint, if they are going to play the music, then get some NEW music. they have been playing the same ole songs for 2 yrs now.
    How bout some ACDC Thunderstruck after each goal and during the intro's.
    And then after each win, BigBalls!! That would fit wouldnt it Menace??