Official 2006 DM Menace Thread (R)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by menacemaniac, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    Re: Official 2006 DM Menace Thread

Hello everyone! "Newbie" Menace fan here - I work in downtown (live in ames) and didn't even know we had a team until I randomly stumbled across it on wikipedia - I was like "holy **** we have a soccer team! freaking awesome!"

I used to play soccer in highschool (played right midfield for Cedar Rapids Washington - on the JV team, was captain my senior year) and I was just bemoaning how much I missed soccer that morning on the way into work.

I will definantly be at every game I can be at - probably end up buying a season pass for me - and hopefully for my fiancee too.

/me prepares to be hazed

2. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

It really is great to hear from you. You may find it interesting that I am in Oklahoma with the Pattersons (well, Dave anyhow) at a tournament. Your "sister's" team is playing, and are performing respectably.

While I find it disturbing that you are finished with the "beautiful game", I do understand that there are certain priorities in life that take precedence over playing a game. However, you are a quality player and I honestly hope that we will have you protecting our keeper again this season-- maybe for the last time. I didn't completely understand your response, at first glance it looked as if you weren't going to be back-- but it sounds to me after reading it that you are coming back? Clarify please.....

3. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

just drove down and found out how long it takes me to get there (1 hour) and I think i saw some of the guys on a practice field not too far away - there was a sign "Menace Parking" or somesuch

4. Danilo

Danilo New Member

Aug 14, 2005

Nice to hear the girls are doing well. I miss watching them playing. I will be back this season unless I get a job somewhere else, like Miami or NYC, and they cant wait for me by August. Otherwise, it will be amazing to have one more season with the Menace. Just can't wait for that.

5. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa

Nice to see a newbie here Kazan. 1 hour for you isn't too bad...we have about a 2 hour drive from the Waterloo area. Of course we only make it down to 2 or 3 games per year. There is a supporters section that stands and sings the whole game...the only one in the PDL, they will certainly welcome you there. If your fiance doesn't want any part of that you will still get a good atmosphere at the game as the Menace regularly get 4,000 plus to their games.

6. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

I think i can get my fiancee more and more into the game (i hope

driving all the way from waterloo though, that's hardcore

7. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

"You are so quiet?!"

[bump - can't let this get down tword the bottom of the page]

8. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kazan if the fiance is wanting more peace, a few of us scatter around the "away" side. you can sprawl out and enjoy yourself. i will warn you that since we are so far away from the crowd, we don't hold back our shouts. the cool part is that you get more from the game by hearing Casey and the players

9. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

she just doesn't like me shouting "GOAL!!!!" in the house :D

10. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area

Don't lie...we all dread posts from Danilo...at least I do...the jerk...

11. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

lol

(bump)

12. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Maniac----
    What is this I hear about a potential budding new career? My daughter needs someone to kick her *ss. Get here quickly...................

State Cup in three weeks, we need you prowling the sidelines for it. My kid is praying every night for you to come and deliver them (and she hasn't ever prayed for anything). What do you say? If you are in town, show up at practice and get the party started....

13. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

am i reading something into this?? by the way, my fone has been non-stop the past few days. :mad: is the feeling Im getting from everyone!!

14. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

OK, busy time for me is over for now. Got more time to post :D

What is going on exactly?

Also, a reminder and a notice to new fans, there is the Red Army Supporters Club. If you want to be apart of vocally supporting the Menace and help increase the atmosphere at matches please don't be shy, join us. Throughout last season the players told us how much they appreciated the support.

There is a tailgating spot typically gets going around 6 or 6:30. To get there use this Google Maps as a reference. The stadium is on the bend of Ashworth Drive. To the west of the stadium is Warrior Lane. Go around to Warrior Lane and take that to Park Road. Park Road is one way so you have to enter from Warrior Lane. Park on the right hand side (left side is technically school property). Halftime we are allowed to exit and re-enter.

Also, if you can spare a few bills please contribute a little to help with the cost of streamers for every game. I picked up most of the tab last year. It does add up. If you have paypal you can donate to CDickey370@aol.com

I'm looking into doing t-shirts, assuming there is interest. Scarves are out due to minimum quantities and up front costs unless anyone has a suggestion to overcome these. I am however looking at bar scarves, the simple striped ones with the team's colors. Would anyone be interested in buying one? They'd be like $12.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, questions, comments post here, drop me a PM, or email MenaceRedArmy@aol.com

15. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

btw: i can provide website hosting SE

16. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC

What? Website for the Red Army? If someone hosts it, I'll design it.

Example: http://www.fifthofficial.com/

Whatever I can do to help.

And to people on the fringe of deciding whether or not to join the Red Army - DO IT. I went to my first Menace game last year and met up with Cory and started to chant along too. There were five-seven of us actually singing if I remember right. It was a pretty good time.

Cory, lookin' forward to singing some more Fire songs and dancing after goals this year. :D

17. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

i have a 1and1 cluster hosting package and am not using 99% of it's capacity

i'm actually about to drop several vhosts i'm never going to use

18. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

And while we may be small in numbers the fun is still there. It fluctuates from game to game and as the season progresses we get people that may not stand with us but realize they want/like sitting around us and join in at times. In addition since Menace crowds are not stadium huge we can get the crowd to join in some of the songs. We have had the entire home side involved at times.

The issue we have is sorta chicken and egg. I know of more people that would join if we were bigger and they didn't stand out in a crowd. If they all would join us we'd be bigger and they wouldn't stand out as much.

19. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Has anyone else heard any rumors of anyone else coming back besides the obvious of Boltnar and Disang and the guys we know: Siberz, Armin, Frieberg, Danilo, and Moffat?

20. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA

Danilo posted in this thread on the last page

21. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

I said besides him ;)

22. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Snake, roster is out and deadly accurate. I will try and find some links to some of the players.

23. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
  24. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Again, great to see an Acadamy player forgo high school to play for the Menace :)

Zeke is the brother of Chad and Tighe and played for the Bavarians. Jamie Gilbert played about a third of the Boulder minutes last season. Joe Klosterman played much of the KC Brass minutes last season as well. Good to see Alex Munns back after joining late season last year only to get injured in the semi final and miss the beginning of the Yale season, where he is a star and a multiple all Ivy team winner. Brad Whitsitt played every minute for Memphis Express, netting two goals for the season.

25. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Anyone heard news yet about a pick-up party? If I remember correctly, last year news wasn't put out until right before the thing-- and it was pretty hard to get info. Snake- the FO told me that they were trying to get ahold of you to arrange some things, have you met with them?

The pick-up party has to take place soon, as we are about 20 days out. :eek: