Official 2006 DM Menace Thread (R)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by menacemaniac, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official 2006 DM Menace Thread

KC Wizards pick up a couple of Menace stars: WIZARDS Press Release

With the 28th overall pick, the Wizards selected Overland Park native Corey Farabi. Farabi was Drake's second leading scorer with 12 points in 2005, leading the Bulldogs with eight assists while being named to the first-team All-Missouri Valley Conference. In high school, Farabi was named Kansas Class 6A All-State in 2001 while at Blue Valley Northwest.

Farabi played club soccer for the Kansas City Legends under Head Coach Andy Barney. While with the Legends, Farabi was a part of three Kansas State Cup Championships as well as four indoor National titles. He was also a member of the Des Moines Menace (PDL) that fell to the Wizards in the fourth round of the 2005 U.S. Open Cup.

The Wizards selected a second Drake Bulldog in the 4th round with the 40th overall pick, taking midfielder Chris Hamburger. Hamburger, 21, hails from Lincoln, Nebraska and finished third on the Bulldogs in scoring in 2005 and joined teammate Corey Farabi as first team All-Midwest Region selections. He was also a member of the Des Moines Menace that fell to the Wizards in the 2005 U.S. Open Cup last summer

2. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All I can say is that it looks like I'll be ditching Chicago threads for KC blue. Too bad Andy didn't get to go back home, but Columbus isn't a bad spot - especially for a talented GK since Walker is getting up there. Wieland may have hit the most talented team in the east - tough spot. I'm hopeful that some of our boys get to make the full squad this season.

If Farabi and Hamburger are relegated to the reserve squad immediately, then perhaps it would be cool if one of the early exhibition games for the Menace was against that squad...

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

My loyalties don't shift based on the roster. I am Fire till I die. But good luck to them in KC.

4. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I tend to follow that philosphy, but in this case, I'd make an exception. Chris is a cool stand-up guy. The only reason I really started cheering on the Fire was based on the roster. I figure since I haven't been that into MLS until Beasley started playing, I don't have the deep-rooted loyalty that I have in other sports.

5. montabon

montabon Member

Sep 1, 2000
    Ames, Iowa

I am assuming the kick-off times listed are Eastern time zone?

6. Calcio Supporter

Aug 7, 2001

Yes, typical, PDL format

7. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Where is the maniac? He would be very qualified to answer this question. He knows soccer, Drake, and the players very well. I think he attended every Menace game and every Drake game. Sort of the ultimate in season tickets holders. I hear you haven't renewed your season tickets for the 2006 Menace season? :eek: Hopefully I'll get to talk to you at atleast one game this year and share a diet Coke?

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thomas Boltner and Edwin Disang returning for the Menace. With Boltner always doing very well at this level, I wonder why he hasn't tried to move up. This year he will be a player / assistant coach. I always chuckle (insert sarcasim) when I rember that he was produced by the Division 2 power house California University of Pennsylvania. Maybe that's because I went to fellow power house Indiana University of Pennslyvania. :D

http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/122981.html

9. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Boltnar has had opportunities to "move up", specifically with two MLS sides. One wearing yellow uniforms with rap artists in the badge and the other with a rather nice crest with an eagle incorporated. But, let's think in practical terms. Developmental contract (or league minimum) vs. a full time job + coaching youth for cash + being the big fish in the pond (complete with your face and number being on every promotional item for your team)? I would say that the job alone is worth more to a player like Boltnar than league minimum. I can't blame the guy, and am personally glad that he has stayed with us. He is a class guy and we are a better team/community because of him.

I found some funny pics of him from his CU days.....let's see if I can post one of them.

10. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Guys.....we are slipping. If we don't pick it up a little, we will fall off the first page. :eek:

HEEELLLLOOOOOOOOOO{echos heard over the chirping of crickets}...............

11. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa

Crickets this time of year??? Wow, it must be a lot warmer in Des Moines than it is here by Waterloo;)

Yeah, it is somewhat quiet. Though I have been getting some Menace emails re: the upcoming season. So that is good I guess.

Maybe we could start a rumor re: Krause bringing in Peter Wilt to head the team and then Wilt stating he wants a stadium build in Altoona. That could bring in a rash of postings on here. Especially from Snakeyes...how would he deal with his excitement over Peter Wilt coming here vs. his disgust over an Altoona stadium?!?!

12. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England

How has Des Moines built such a great club, while others have failed?

13. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa

For all the crap Menace fans have given the owner re: failing to get a stadium built and moving the team up to USL-1. The Menace owner has been willing to promote the team...plus Des Moines might be a great market size. Not big enough to be put off by a minor league club, but big enough to support the team in decent enough numbers.

14. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DM is also a soccer city. They have some good high school progams and soccer is growing within Iowa so that helps as well. I almost played for the Menace in my college days, they are a great orgazination. Glad I found this thread.

15. Daryl

Daryl New Member

Jun 22, 2005

Any word on how some of the past Menace players are getting along with the MLS or USL 1 teams? Hamburger and Farabi with Wizards?? Wieland with Revolution? Andy?? Jesse Baker?? Did anyone pick up Danilo?? I'm surprised no one has given Edwin a look? Has he finished school - if not maybe that's why we get him back this year vs. him moving up? Any chance we'll get some of the veterans from last year's team back if they don't stick with upper level teams??

16. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Wilt is god, his decisions are perfect. ;)

17. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

I have spoken to one of the drafted players recently. Not much news. Things appear to be very quiet. Not sure the players are being told much news about how they are performing.

Danilo did not get picked up by anyone, and is currently in a deciding mode as to what his next step is. He has been on this site before, you can find him on the old thread from last season. If you are motivated enough, find his username and send him PMs to try and convince him that we appreciate what he did for the Menace and we WANT HIM TO COME BACK FOR ATLEAST ONE MORE SEASON!! I still beleive that he was the heart of the team last season and kept us out of alot of trouble. Andy is very, very good-- but I think his stats would have been considerably different without Danilo protecting (except for the time when he turned and scored on Andy).

Edwin is finished with school, I am extremely happy to have him back and think that his injury last year hurt him in his quest to move to the next level. Give him one more season without the label of NAIA player and maybe he will get noticed?

My personal feeling about getting anyone back who doesn't stick is this-- these guys aren't college kids anymore. They can't sit around and play PDL with no job. They need to earn money. My true feeling is that if they don't stick, they will hang up thier boots. There comes a time when each needs to decide whether it is worth $150/game in 2nd Div to try to make it to the grand total of $50k/year with the MLS.They aren't getting any younger. I think this is the reason I like the PDL so much. These guys are, in a way, at the pinnacle of thier games and trying to PROVE something to someone. Just like NCAA (American) football vs. the NFL. I like the FIRE and DRIVE that these guys have EVERY NIGHT. But, at some point they decide that it is time to move on with thier new degrees and start a life for themselves. But, let me be clear about this-- DANILO COME BACK HERE THIS SUMMER. YOU CAN MAKE IT IN THIS SPORT, DON'T GIVE UP ON THE SYSTEM.

18. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I've been mulling over this idea for a while now, but would any Menace/Fire fans be up for a Hawkeye State invasion of Bridgeview? The timing really couldn't be more perfect for this.

If there is enough interest, we'll start talking details. It would be a nice sort of pilgrimmage, though.

19. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

If I am back in town from Germany I plan to make the opening of Bridgeview. I am scheduled to be back on Sat June 24th. I'm up for any other road trips to Bridgeview as well.

20. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't want to throw too many secrets here but many of our guys have gotten BS from the MLS clubs. This has resulted in being kicked out of classes and putting graduation times in jeopardy. The way that our players have been handled for the most part is a joke. Commutes between DM and KC for a chance to earn what would be considered impoverished wages….

One source informed me that Wieland didn’t even bother reporting to the Revs for this reason. That same source told me that Andy hurt himself early on in camp, but he’s not out. Farabi and Hamburger are in limbo while KC tries to figure out their roster of has beens and hot shots. I’m not positive but I’m thinking Danilo has another year of NCAA eligibility left.

And yes, Danilo should come back to the Menace. His creativity on defense was exciting to watch.

Unfortunately my schedule will be severely limiting the # of games I hit this year. Hopefully Mediacom (or maybe someone else based on the poll)will be showing several so I can record them. Even if I'm not there in person, I'll be there in spirit.

21. Danilo

Danilo New Member

Aug 14, 2005

Thanks for your nice words Fanatic. You know how much I appreciate all the passion you have for the Menace and trust me, I love this city more than you guys can image. I am done for soccer, for good, but I want to play one more season for the Menace. This is out of question for me and for Casey, so we are set up about it. The only thing still up in the air is my future outside soccer. I have been in many interviews, both in NYC and Miami, a place I would love to live by. I havent signed anything yet. If I can get a job somewhere else in the US and the company let me start working only in August, I will be back as soon as I am done with school, what means I would maybe miss the may 6th, something I dont like, because I just love playing home games. There is still some chance I can end working in DM, but so far I havent had anything concrete. That would be great, because I would be able to play for the Menace and I already know the city and even have a family in the area, the Pattersons. I have many reasons to be back to Des Moines, but one more time I need to think in the long run. I hope I get a job around DM or we find a way I can play and start working later on. Cant wait to dress the #8 again, run with my friends Tomas, Edwin and Armin, and especially, have you guys after each home game.

22. Daryl

Daryl New Member

Jun 22, 2005

Thanks for the feedback on how our players are progressing or not progressing with other options. Hopefully some will catch a break. Good to hear from Danilo and hopefully he'll be back and find the right opportunity to mix a career start and Menace soccer.

23. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area

Fanatic- My apologies for being absent for so long. I've been extremely busy but will try to make it a priority to let everybody know what's going on as the questions come in.

Since I haven't been asked anything in about a month, what do you people want to know?

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like one of your youth players will be moving up to the big team this season. It's nice to see players that you have developed moving up through the different levels.

http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/126031.html

25. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

nice to see the academy is producing players that can play on the full squad. we took a lot of criticism from places like El Paso that utilize more high school players.