Official 2006 DM Menace Thread (R)

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by menacemaniac, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area
    Any players announcements yet? Also, who should we be expecting to return to defend our crown? It's not too early to start talking about this...hopefully we can pull Snakeeyes out from the depths to participate in this one...

2. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Re: Official 2006 DM Menace Thread

I personally want to know about the Drake and Creighton seniors......like Hamburger, Frieberg, Siberz, and the crew? They would be the first I would expect to return? Thoughts Maniac? BTW, good to be back and good to hear from you.

3. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area

From what I've been told Siberz and Frieberg will most likely be back. Munns is coming back and the rest of the crew is up in the air. Word has it Edwin and Armin will come back and still no word if Tomas is going to lace up the boots again. Hamburger has a few tryouts coming up with other clubs (not in the PDL) and won't be coming back. I would assume Weiland, Farabi and Baker won't be back either (by assume, I mean they won't be). As for Kraus and Odorisio, I've heard college coaches are worried about their players health (both of those guys missed quite a bit of time with Tony redshirting last year) so they might not allow them to play again. It's really up in the air at this point.

4. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

I have been asked to put out word that the 2005 PDL Champion Des Moines Menace will be holding two day tryouts beginning on 3-18. If you think you have the game and are interested in trying out, please contact me via PM and I will get you all the pertinent info.

Last year was a GREAT season with some GREAT players. Many of which were seniors and are moving on to the next level. If you are a college player with a strong work ethic, championship level skills, and a desire to play at the next level-- THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY.

THE FINE PRINT-- I am NOT a scout, I am NOT a paid agent, contacting me will in no way affect your eligibility or your shot for making the team. I don't have that kind of "juice".

5. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon

Hey Menace Fans,
    I don't want to make a big impact on this thread by mentioning this, but how is the stadium going?

Any News?

Gosh I wish that darn thing would just get built, you have an incredible fan base, not to mention attendence numbers for the 2005 season, averaging around 4,000 a game, a great team, all you need is Liberty Bank Park to be built. I think you know where this is going...You guys would be a FANTASTIC fit in the USL-1, FANTASTIC for many reasons, but I won't go into those. I really hope it gets built this year, so maybe in 07' we'll see you.

Anyways, have a great season Menace fans!

6. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

There is no official word out of the front office, but I do suspect that they have changed thier approach somewhat. It appears, from the outside atleast, that they have stepped up efforts to better EVERYTHING that they do. This is primarily seen in the Menace Youth Academy, but it does seem to spill out onto other parts of the organization as well.

The real challenge, IMHO is to get the owner focused in a direction and keep his attention on that area. And, for everyone's sake I would hope that it would focus less on turning a HUGE profit and more on turning as much profit as is honestly possible (there is a difference in my opinion). The management really does mean well and really tries hard, but it seems as though thier hands are somewhat tied at every turn.

Bottom line, indecision and greed are killing this project-- plain and simple.

7. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Anybody here remember how Calen Carr performed/behaved in the PDL Semis last year? Was he one of the thugs? The reason I ask is that Chicago made him their first pick in the draft.

Can't wait to see where Andy and Wheels end up...

8. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area

There were six OC guys who ended up getting drafted, five of which were picked in the top ten. Here's the names. Correct me if I'm wrong with any of these.

Pick Name
    #1 Marvell Wynne
    #5 Sasha Klejstan
    #8 Patrick Ianni
    #9 Kei Kamara
    #10 Calen Karr
    #19 Tyson Wahl

Those are the ones I'm fairly certain of. I wonder if we sent a video tape to the MLS what they'd think of these guys after their antics at the conclusion of their exit from the PDL playoffs in Des Moines.

Question: How the hell didn't Andy get picked up? I'm shocked...

9. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Wow. That is incredible and very disappointing at the same time. I agree with you maniac.....how in the name of all that is Holy does Andy not have a home in the MLS right now? And how do our players not warrant more attention than the OC thugs? Maybe scouts should have attended the Menace-OC game. They could have gotten a very valuable glimpse into:

1) the real talent level of the OC players vs. a quality side (ineffective)
    2) the class level of the players-- I will say it again. I really did like the OC GK, he was a quality player with great skills and stayed completely away from the "after game brawl".

All of this aside, I still cannot believe that the USL gave lip service about an investigation and punishment and DID NOTHING. The USL should be ASHAMED OF ITSELF. This was not a common pickup game....this was the semi-final of the league. These players (including the OC Coach) did not represent the league in a positive way. Try and blame the Menace staff for not having enough security or whatever......that is crap. Extra security has never been needed before, and probably will never be needed again. It was poor sportsmanship on behalf of the players/coaching staff that led to an altercation on thier part with a handicapped fan. REAL CLASS PLAYERS the MLS has decided to take a chance on here.

What a joke.:mad:

10. menacemaniac

menacemaniac New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Des Moines Area

Sometimes the lesser class gets the benefit of the doubt in a short period, but the upper class takes the cake. I've heard this saying more than once, and although OC got more draft picks, I'm pretty sure we have some hardware they want sitting in our home office. Go ahead, let them get picked higher than the Menace guys, but there's nothing to worry about. Good people get good things, so once again the Menace-alumni will prevail. It won't show in the next year or two, but we'll get the last laugh.

11. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Stephen Shirley was drafted by the Wizards.

And BTW, I haven't talked to anyone lately regarding players. Right now your guess is as good as mine.

What's going to be interesting to me is who joins the team from other clubs. Last year there was more than a few rumors of good players from other clubs wanting to come play for us this year. Having established ourselves as consistent in the PDL, last years Open Cup run, and picking up the league title I wouldn't be surprised at anything when it comes to the roster.

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Saturday May 13
    Des Moines Menace @ St. Louis Lions 6:00 PM Tony Glavin Complex

Sunday May 14
    Des Moines Menace @ Kansas City Brass 3:00 PM William Jewell College

Friday May 19
    Colorado Springs Blizzard @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

Saturday May 20
    Boulder Rapids Reserve @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

Saturday May 27
    Sioux Falls SpitFire @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

Friday June 2
    Thunder Bay Chill @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

Saturday June 3
    Thunder Bay Chill @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

Saturday June 10
    Des Moines Menace @ Sioux Falls SpitFire 8:30 PM O'Gorman HS - McEneaney Field

Saturday June 17
    Des Moines Menace @ Boulder Rapids Reserve 8:00 PM Pleasant View Field

Sunday June 18
    Des Moines Menace @ Colorado Springs Blizzard 9:00 PM Colorado College - Washburn Field

Saturday July 1
    Boulder Rapids Reserve @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

Sunday July 2
    Kansas City Brass @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

Friday July 7
    Des Moines Menace @ Thunder Bay Chill 7:30 PM Chapples Par

Saturday July 8
    Des Moines Menace @ Thunder Bay Chill 7:30 PM Chapples Park

Saturday July 15
    Des Moines Menace @ St. Louis Lions 6:00 PM Tony Glavin Complex

Saturday July 22
    St. Louis Lions @ Des Moines Menace 8:30 PM Waukee High School Stadium

13. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Couple quick notes,

1) We start of the year against a new team again
    2) We play KC in the second match thought this year we are on the road
    3) They've given us Colorado and Boulder as Open Cup qualifiers #3 and #4 again except this year we are at home.
    4) Weekend of June 23rd is an off week.
    5) 5 matches in a row at home and 2 groups of 3 on the road. Both being a game attached to the Thunder Bay and CO road trips. First is Sioux Falls, second is St Louis.
    6) No more matches outside the division! About time we didn't have a mismatched schedule, having to play teams like the Fire in season.

I really, really like this schedule. Much better looking than we have had in the past. Most importantly it looks like I won't miss but two matches this year, July 1st and 2nd. (Of course that might change depending on when Bridgeview opens)

14. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Looking through the schedule:

Thunder Bay has two against Chicago and Indiana
    St Louis has West Michigan twice, Kalamazoo once, and Cleveland once.
    Kansas City has the Fire, Indiana, Westl Michigan, and Cleveland once
    Colorado Springs and Boulder have Ogden and BYU twice.

Sioux Falls (as if anyone cares) is the only other side with a non-division side in regular season play.

15. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Ummmm........

Snake-- were we supposed to post the schedule yet? :eek: I was warned to not let the info into the public yet as to get people into trouble? Did you see it out in the "open" somewhere?

16. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The schedule is in the "open." It's on the USL page. Top headline...

17. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Whew!! Thank goodness!

traxx-- welcome back. Good to start to see people "trickling" back.

18. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

Ummmmm, You keeping secrets now, or are you just that important??

19. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

The front office knows who many of us are and reads these threads. ;)

20. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

Mr Snake, Menace and I know each other very well, I meant that as a joke, haha. I also work at the KG building/Front office. Hello Alan!!

21. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

Haha, fantastic. :)

22. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004

Yes, I am keeping secrets now. And, yes, I am just that important. :cool:

Actually, I had been given some of the dates ahead of time to work on getting something special planned out for my company at a home game. I was asked to not give out the preliminary dates as this may be frowned upon by the USL. I didn't know that they had released them when Snake posted.

For the benefit of those who don't personally know some of us.....there are a few of us who know each other quite well. Funny thing is..... I know Snake and I know RegII-- but they don't necessarily know each other. Well, I think that RegII knows Snake but not vice versa?

To anyone else who may have seriously interpreted my comment to Snake as a "know-it-all" snobbish post, I apologize. It wasn't meant to be that way. In hindsight, I probably should have just sent him a PM. Enough controversy on this Board-- and on with our repeat Championship.

23. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Supplemental Draft (pardon the mispellings):

Andy Gruenebaum - Columbus Crew
    Corey Farabi - Kansas City Wizards
    Chris Hamburger - Kansas City Wizards
    Matt Wieland - New England Revolution

Discuss...

24. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some of the people on the Wizards board would probably appreciate a synopsis of the skills Farabi and Hamburger bring to the table.

25. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001

ISO: Sandon Mibut.