Official 2005-07 Youth (U20) Japanese NT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by rdroze, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Re: Official Youth (U20) Japanese NT Thread [R]

Yeah that was a handball very clearly even at the time. Ref seemed to be the only 1 who didn't 'see' it. Japan played better overall too. It wouldn't have been a "cheap victory" to get that freekick - it'd seem more appropriate that Japan did get the 2nd penalty to win.

But then, oh well. Luckily it's only a youth worldcup, push comes to shove. So I'm easy.

2. Fukurokuju

Fukurokuju New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Germany

Okay. I think it would be nice for this team if they came forth in the tournament. The next tournaments are coming. Maybe some boys will play the next World Cup 2010 and then they are in South Africa. :) ;)

3. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

Putting aside the defeat, this U20 side has been a truly pleasant surprise. I didn't know a relatively young bunch of footballers could develop like that this quickly. They all had the knack of shielding the ball effectively and spinning this way and that way to get out of trouble. Ball touches were soft, passing was smooth, and many could dribble in a lung-bursting run, utilizing sharp turns. And what I liked the most is the fluidity. They played an interesting version of total football with a proper plan in place (you hearing that, Zico?).

It seems JFA has been hard at work to address fundamental problems they came across over the years and to develop it. So somehow this defeat doesn't hit me hard. Sure it's upsetting to lose especially when you deserve to win, yet there were much brighter prospects that I saw within each game, that is far more profound than results themselves.

4. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007

The Dragon Ball Z celebrations were amusing.

Probably pissed the Czech Players off.

5. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD

Think you could say that for just about every celebration they did. LOL

6. Golazo!!

Golazo!! Red Card

Jul 1, 2007

Ya seriously, After the first Czech Goal some Czech player started pushing and shoving with that blond haired Japanese player.

7. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

Personally my fav is the 1st one at Czech, is that meant to be genki dama or something :)

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

What a heartbreaker...
    But then again, after all the sparks of the first three games, "Typically Japan NT". In the extra-time, the Czech never passed the midfield, we could have scored 5-6 times, but there was that feeling of non-urgency I really hate even when I play futsal with my friends here. Japan NTs MUST become more cynical. They were clearly much better than the Czech, they just neede to push it a bit more. Aw...

The celebrations and the hair-styles were cool, indeed; however, I'd love the kids on the field to have a bit less of a cult of (self) personality and to be a bit more concrete. This team definitely deserved to play at least one more game, and how cool it would have been to see them play Spain...

However, it was fun.
    Good job Japan U20.
    Looking forward to the next tournies.

9. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

OMG!!!
    i lag, but they are the most cutest japanese footballers ever, they do happen to have spunk!!!
    they did well!!!

i hope they win an award when the tournament ends...like the most entertaining team!

but it kinda reminded me of inamoto and toda of 2002! ha!! they were awesome

10. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

You know whats funny. My gf said Kashiwagi looks cute in this competition. Then on a closer inspection we agreed he wasn't as cute as he looks from afar. LOL!! Poor Kashiwagi :eek:

11. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

For some reason I seem to have skipped over your post so its a late reply now, but I think we had a rare case of group mentality that stemmed in that 'cult' of individual personality.

I agree with you though, in general terms I'd say the same as you. It's just that in case of this U20, that cult of self personality existed alongside an amazing team mentality, not at the expense of it. Based on that reason alone, I would say it worked well. There is a tendency to think that it's either individual or group, and the 2 won't mix. But what I believe we saw was a perfect cocktail of the two. The best of both worlds, if you like.

12. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD

LOL that hurts! He's pretty good looking IMO...

13. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

awww...yeah thats was me with inamoto eight years ago, but i still like him, he is was a great asian player and i am a big fan.

14. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

you mean the guy with the flat nose...seems cute but not good looking, i'd say the red head makino, looked good, he looked manly

15. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD

Not sure if you'd call that a flat nose (I've seen worse), but yeah Kashiwagi doesn't have features that stand out like Makino's do. More of a "Japanese pretty boy" kind I guess.

16. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

Hey, flat nose is good too. Then again, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and these days eurocentricism seems to be driving the agenda. BTW Makino is so distinct isn't he. Can't fail to spot him from anywhere.
    My fav celebration perf was by him

EDIT: BTW, if you haven't seen it this is a pretty comprehensive tribute to U20 performance in this competition.

17. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

yeah i've seen them LOL, fab performances...
    and i'd say makino isn't a pretty boy, his just spunky looking and kawashigi i consider as cutesy boy... Yasuda reminds me of a younger version of inamoto, its a coinsident he plays for gamba too.

18. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD

Maybe he might even switch to volante later in his career. LOL

19. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Hey, the boys were great. I really have great hopes for thr future of this team!
    It just pisses me off they couldn't score a goal in the extra time against a Czech Rep on its knees and one man down... especially now that the Czech made it too the final is even more irritating :mad:

20. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

Yeah it is annoying, but then again it is to do with mental strength. They got rattled towards the end and I think they learned a lot from this experience. In the post match interview they acknowledged this - they had what it takes to nail the game, yet they got nervy and didn't. No hardship, no progress. So it may turn out to be a great experience especially considering how young they were. They will grow both mentally and technically, I'm sure.

21. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

i guess one other factor is that they younger generations are exposed to a lot of football nowadays

22. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

If you haven't read this yet:

this article on the mindset of the U20 squad had impressed me. By trickle of information this is something I've always known so nothing new there, but summarized like that (especially in the 2nd page) I was reminded of the impressive passage of U20 development.

23. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

care to translate

24. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD

It really is just that, a summary of the U-20s team journey to the World Youth Championships. How they started from zero, slowly got to realise their playing style, growing into a tightly bonded unit, and how the tournament was an emotional ride for them.

25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

too long :p