Official 1. FC Köln Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Germany' started by footyfan1, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man!! 1. FC Koln aren't screwing around. IMHO, Madsen and Podolski are already one of the league's top strike forces!!!

Taken from the Germany NewsBot

++++++++++++++

1. FC Koln has strengthened their striker position again. The 1. Liga promotee secured the acquisition of Danish striker Peter Madsen, who was last under contract to VfL Bochum.

++++++++++++++

Der 1. FC Köln hat sich noch mal im Sturm verstärkt. Der Erstliga-Aufsteiger sicherte sich am Mittwoch die Dienste des dänischen Angreifers Peter Madsen, der zuletzt beim VfL Bochum unter Vertrag stand.

++++++++++++++++

2. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: 1. FC Koln Acquires Bochum's Danish Striker Peter Madsen

Thats great to hear! They are going to be a force to be reckoned with....plus they also signed Matip who did great in the U-20 tournament with Germany.

Man, if they can't stay in the Bundesliga this year, then I don't know when they'll ever be able to . This is a great step in strengthening their squad for the future to be able to stay in the top flight.

I'm happy for them!

Plus, their new kits are just freaking sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Locke13

Locke13 New Member

May 14, 2004
    Centerport, LI, NY

I would have liked to see a little more red in the home kit, but they do look very sleek.

I'm a bit surprised that they went for Madsen. They already signed Imre Sabzics, who is a very good striker in his own right. That's a formidable strike force, especially for a recently promoted team.

My dad is from Koln, and I go about once a year, so hopefully I'll be able to go to at least one game this season. I went to the new stadium the last time I was in Koln (the friendly during the winter break against Bayern). The atmosphere was amazing.

4. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree. I think the away kits are slick!

I'm actually surprised Bochum let Madsen go. AFAIK, his contract was still good for the 2. Liga. Anyhow, maybe Koln is planning to go with three strikers. Didn't Rapolder play with three strikers at Bielefeld??

Great party town. I left before they finished re-building the stadium, but as far as I know, the KolnArena is still pretty unique for Germany!

5. sting-ray

sting-ray New Member

May 16, 2005
    Bad Zw'ahn
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

This makes me very happy for Köln.. Congrats @ Köln-fans

6. Kult

Kult New Member

Mar 22, 2005

[​IMG]
    (larger version: http://www.erst-klassig.de/fileadmi...Profis-folgeseiten/Mannschaftsfoto0506Gro.jpg)

At the moment, it seems, that will be the starting eleven for this season:

Wessels/Bade
    Lell Sinkiewicz Schlicke Rahn
    Grammozis Schindzielorz
    Madsen Podolski Lurling
    Szabics​

Cologne still looking for an "international class" defender and defensive midfielder !!!

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Matip should get some time, I think this guy has the potential to become a great defender.

8. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Marvin Matip is the kid they got from Bochum, isn't he? I've heard good things about him too. One of my friends was trying to talk Dortmund into signing him.

9. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin

Parden my Ignorance, but how well are Koln are expected to do next season?

10. levfanatic

levfanatic New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Cologne, Germany

Are you serious?! :confused:

Sure, Podolski is amazing and their offensive line should be strong now with Szabics and Madsen.

But apart from that? The defence? Their midfield? A "force to be reckoned with"? Give me a break.

They will have a tough time staying in the league this season.

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Hmm...see I don't think they are going to struggle to stay in. I think they'll do quite well, not a Uefa Cup spot or anything but I just don't see them fighting to stay in the top flight come next year.

Also, I saw them play last season and was extremely impressed with their team work and ability to counter attack.

Wessles ain't a bad keeper at all, plus they have very good youth talent in Matip, Lell, Feulner along with experience from Springer, Sinkala and Konstantinidis.

12. Neuwiednetronic Kev

Neuwiednetronic Kev New Member

May 4, 2005

hey cheers footyfan1, heard the news first from u

i'm a koeln fan too, guys nice to meet u all

i share the sentiment that we have too many strikers.

broeker
    lurling
    szabics
    podolski
    toekoeli
    helmes
    Scherz
    Ebbers
    madsen

The again some of those players can drop behind the frontline, right?

I think cologne will do well, perhaps mid-table? Or better I hope!

yes and I think one more better central defender is needed. perhaps even a LB to have more depth. DM is def. needed too, i think. perhaps dimitri Grammozis is the goods. I always hoped Feulner would develope into a great DM but yer...

Look for Koeln to play like the NTXI at the confed cup though, methinks.

score a crapload but concede just as many!

but good entertainment i'm sure for some people.

13. OP_M

OP_M New Member

Dec 12, 2004

nothing else but staying in has to be their goal.

they started with high ambitions 03/04 and failed badly.back then you also thought they had some good signings, but...well...you see the result.

surely they have podolski, but come on, predict now that he's gonna shoot them somewhere in higher regions?mintal also scored 24 and we finished 14th.

Seeing the offense, they look kinda spot on and able to keep the class.but the other parts of the team...i dunno.they are surely the best team of the upcoming ones, but still it will be a tough time for them surviving.

14. levfanatic

levfanatic New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Cologne, Germany

Fine, but then where are their Ballacks, Schweinsteigers, Deislers, Frings, Ernsts, Schneiders? Chances have to be created from somewhere, you also need a competitive midfield.

You cannot compare it exactly since the German NT really doesn't have the best offensive line. The only great striker they currently have is Podolski. But the difference is that the whole team plays more offensively now. However, you need players who can do that job. I don't see Köln having the midfield capable of that.

There really seems to be something about the Cologne-mentality causing this overconfidence over and over again. The same thing happened before when they promoted, the same euphoria. Completely overestimating the quality of the squad, talking about European Cup before having established themselves in the league again.

But to stay in the first division you have to leave three other teams behind you. Who, apart from the other new clubs, is that going to be?

Finish mid-table? Then please tell me which eight or nine Bundesliga-teams are weaker. I am very curious.

15. Locke13

Locke13 New Member

May 14, 2004
    Centerport, LI, NY

The have a legititmate chance of finishing higher than:

Duisburg
    Frankfurt
    Mainz
    Nurnberg
    Bielefeld
    Monchengladbach

This would leave them lower mid-table. They could surprise and beat out Kaiserslautern. That is the limit, even in my optimistic eyes.

16. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good post I agree. There maybe some surprises though if some team has a very bad year and Koln is overacheiving, but I agree with mid to lower table.

17. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

There will always be one disappointing Bundesliga club (last year, Bochum, year before, Hertha BSC)...so Koln have a legit chance of 10th, but thats really optimistic...I'm thinking 14th.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like Kaiserslautern, but I think Koln will finish ahead of them. I think Kaiserslautern will do well not to get relegated. I think Bielefeld will be relegated.

I don't think Koln has enough to pass Nuernberg and Gladbach. Both those clubs strengthened themselves very well this summer.

19. Neuwiednetronic Kev

May 4, 2005

please don't shoot me, It's just my personality, I like to be optimistic. and therefore hope for midtable i.e. 8th or 9th. (and DFB cup final losers against league champions!! okay maybe not)

Also hoping for the midfield guys to step up a level, like the NT which you pointed out! Cheers. Especially streit, feulner, rahn. They do seem promising enough wouldn't you say. Probably not.

IMO better to shoot for glory and crash and burn in flames then aim low and die "Oh well, always next season"-ish. for a lack of a better phrase!

the joys of being a fan!

kev

20. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

If the club won´t lift off after the first sucesses and can also work with setbacks (in the last years Collogne couldn´t), they have a chance to reach a rank between 6 and 10, if they won´t, they fight vs. relegation and will probably struggle.

21. Kult

Kult New Member

Mar 22, 2005

Neue News bezüglich des FC ...

Neuer Dauerkartenrekord !!!

Vier Wochen vor dem Start in die Fußball-Bundesliga
    vermeldet Aufsteiger 1. FC Köln einen Vereins-Dauerkartenrekord.
    Bereits 25.500 Saisontickets wurden von den `Geißböcken" abgesetzt.
    Die alte Bestmarke aus dem Vorjahr stand bei 23.500 Abonnements.

-----

Auswärtsdauerkarte - Ausverkauft !!!

Mittlerweile haben sich 550 FC-Fans eine Auswärtsdauerkarte für die kommende Spielzeit gesichert. Damit wurde die Zahl des Vorjahres von 480 deutlich überschritten. Nachdem wir nun bereits 50 Tickets mehr verkauft haben, als eigentlich vorgesehen, können weitere Bestellungen leider nicht mehr entgegen genommen werden.

-----

Das Tor des Monats Juni !!!

Lukas Podolski hat das Tor des Monats erzielt. Sein Treffer zum 1:0 gegen Mexiko im Spiel um den dritten Platz beim Confederations Cup fand bei den Zuschauern der Sportschau den meisten Zuspruch - damit siegte Podolski bereits zum sechsten Mal bei der Abstimmung in der ARD.

22. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The thing about Koln is that since they have been promoted they need to get off to a great start because later after winter break they will be facing clubs on the top of their game so they will probably be losing a bit more, so if they would win in the beginning it would help them in the end from being relegated, or just put in that situation :D

23. Kult

Kult New Member

Mar 22, 2005

(Quelle www.erstklassig.de)
    FC Isny – FC 1:13 (1:4)

Die FC-Profis haben den zweiten Test während des Trainingslager klar gewonnen. Das Team von Trainer Uwe Rapolder besiegte den Landesligisten FC Isny am Montagabend vor 1.350 Zuschauern mit 13:1. FC-Neuzugang Peter Madsen brachte die Geißböcke in der 16. Minute mit 1:0 in Führung. Markus Feulner erhöhte in der 22. Minute auf 2:0, ehe Bodenmüller in der 31. Minute für Isny per Foulelfmeter auf 1:2 verkürzen konnte. Markus Feulner (37.) und Anthony Lurling (42.) stellten mit ihren Treffern den Halbzeitstand her.
    Nach der Halbzeit startete zunächst FC-Neuzugang Peter Madsen durch. Der Däne erzielte einen lupenreinen Hattrick (47., 51., 60.). Bevor Madsen mit seinem fünften Treffer des Spiels in der 82. Minute den 1:13-Endstand herstellte, trafen der eingewechselte Matthias Scherz (61., 70., 76.) sowie Anthony Lurling (68.) und Patrick Helmes (77.).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Neuwiednetronic Kev

May 4, 2005
    Re: Official 2005/06 1. FC Köln thread [R]

WOAH! Woke up and there's this official Cologne thread! Cheers really appreciated!

Just in, Szabics is out with operation looming!!

Madsen is a good buy methinks then....

There are also other strikers lining up behind that are good quality. Lurling, Scherz, Helmes. etc. Pity they let Ebbers go, he was alright.

The friendly yesterday should be a good kick around...

the games against Fenebarche/Besiktas should be more testing!

Hey anyone with thoughts on formations and lineups for the coming season?

There's quite alot of attacking players!

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Official 2005/06 1. FC Köln thread [R]

I hope their defense will be able to cope with the other teams offenses. Seems like they won't have problems scoring, just stopping others from doing the same to them.