Official “Is Brad Friedel bad at his job?” Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Feldspar, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I was hoping Garcia saw the writing on the wall and got out the first chance he had. But I also knew that probably wasn't the case.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks to be the next coach at Shalke

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But look on the bright side. If they hired Brad Feldman as the coach they wouldn't have to get another jacket with his initials on it. Cost savings right there! And that is job #1 at Revs Central!

pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is Brad surrounding himself with people who are all keyed in to "Blackburn!". The last thing Mr. Friedel wants is someone around him who might actually be capable of leading the Revs to quality.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet by MLS Rumors suggest Brad may have a few more games left to right the ship before the "consider" replacing him. My suggestion would be to scuttle the ship and build a new one

CynicRev repped this.
  6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true, this suggests to me that any complaint campaign needs to target Burns. Friedel should be replaced, but the possibility that they’re taking time to even “consider” it shows how wrongheaded management is.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they should have been making a list of potential coaches 3 weeks ago for a moment like Saturday night. 6-1 is never acceptable. He should have been fired Sunday morning

CynicRev repped this.
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? So Burns gets to make his third hire?

Burns has to go even before Friedel.

MM66, firstshirt, VTSoccerFan and 7 others repped this.
  9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't fire Friedel. Or Burns. The team needs time to "gel." And they would also have to pay out the remainder of his contract and whatever assistants they kick out as well.

And then they'd have to bring in a new coach and some new assistants. And then these guys would need the rest of the season to "evaluate" the players. And then, during the off-season, we'd get rid of Gil, Penilla, both Caicedos (because, who can even tell them apart, right?) and then bring in "his" guys.

Nah, it's a whole lot easier to just hope things get better. As the great philosopher Homer Simpson once said, "If you ignore a problem long enough, eventually it goes away."

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Friedel was hand-picked by Burns. Burns is at fault for this train wreck.

tsb11, CynicRev, RevsRule and 2 others repped this.
  11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting rid of Friedel while Burns remains is not an acceptable outcome.

Doublecard, goussoccer, MM66 and 4 others repped this.
  12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    totally agree but you and I both know he has a job until he wants to quit

13. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If true, these next few games could be epic in terms of how hard the team quits on Friedel. "Wait, all we've got to do is lose and he's gone?" I don't know exactly what's going on inside the Revs' locker room, but I'm pretty sure the players can't stand Friedel.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they are playing Chicago, but it's away, so given their recent away form, there's a good chance they'd lose anyway.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I agree with the first part, but I think the 2nd is pure speculation (even though it's been repeated frequently).

And, I think it's a mistake to think of the whole roster as a monolithic group. A coach will almost always have some of the team in his corner - especially the guys who are getting playing time.

Certainly in the first half at Philly, they didn't give the impression at all that they didn't like the coach, didn't care, weren't trying, etc. I think what we saw was that when things started going badly, they didn't respond well. That shows a lack of confidence and a lack of leadership on the field IMO.

Feldspar and a517dogg repped this.
  16. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Talent-wise, the Revs have what I would consider a better roster than San Jose.

Yet, San Jose’s players are literally running themselves into the ground for their coach and their team. When they went down a man last weekend with 40+ minutes left, they gutted it out for the win.

The Revs may begin games OK, but the second things start going wrong, they fold up like a cheap tent in an F5 tornado. If players don’t believe in a system or don’t believe they can win or can’t make in-game adjustments to deal with adversity, then that failure falls squarely on the coach and speaks to something wrong beyond just results.

a517dogg repped this.
  17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't a Friedel thing. It's been this way the past few years (see the Atlanta 7-0 game, and many others).

BrianLBI repped this.
  18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This team has been quitting on Friedel like he was cigarettes. I'm sure there's a wide variety of opinions on him in the locker room. Don't think there's close to 11 guys who buy into what he's selling. He comes across as a uniquely annoying human.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean to tell me they haven't ALREADY quit on him, and it could get worse? Friedel is awful. And his schtick of throwing the team under the bus, citing their mentality, was abysmal. Honestly, that excuse was far more of a shot than either Hudson or Koch saying that their players were not good enough players. To attack their character in the manner Friedel did ... he should have been the first coach out the door. I can't believe there is a single person left defending this clown.

MM66 and pwykes repped this.
  20. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, this.
    Not to me, he doesn't. If he affects you that way, I think you're projecting.

21. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Friedel has had mixed success with player acquisitions, but at least he has proven that he has connections like no other person in Revs' history and I have little confidence that the Revs could hire anyone else with any kind of connections. So, maybe move Friedel to GM and let someone else handle the on-field duties?

Not ideal, but perhaps realistic?

a517dogg and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People used to say Heaps would be a better GM than a coach. He hasn't been at Birmingham very long, but we'll see how that pans out.
    By contrast, anyone remember the time when the Revs were up a goal and up a man at halftime and still lost? How many times have you ever seen that happen? Yeah, talk about "mentality"
    The thing is, most of our aquisitions are good the first year and then fall off the cliff thereafter. This goes back before Friedel, but off the top of my head, we've had Goncalves, Tony Delamea was pretty good his first year, Penilla was good last year (what happened?), and I seriously wonder if Carles Gil is going to swan-dive next year.

Maybe we should sign all these guys to one-year contracts :p

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see light at the end of the tunnel. What can Friedel do now? Let Fagundez and Zahibo out of the dog house? That's going to right the ship? He should have put more pressure on Blooter to improve the roster.
    It was a real bad sign when they brought Agudelo back with a pay hike.