Official “Is Brad Friedel bad at his job?” Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Feldspar, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    April Fool's Day joke?

TOAzer repped this.
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Why? They played badly, he made a number of significant changes, they played much better. Even if there are things to criticize, why is it so hard to give credit when it's due?

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every Prophet needs a True Believer. In Kupp, Prophet Brad has found that True Believer....
    ... Hey, occasionally a True Believer gets a True Prophet.....:coffee:

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the date of your post....

As a wise man once said, if you smell like three-day-old mackerel rotting on a fish pier in the hot, humid midday sun, then you probably stink. "Playing much better" and still losing is not much of a consolation.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I was referring to the Minnesota game.

And, sure playing much better isn't much of a consolation. But, I think anyone expecting (or even hoping) for the Revs to turn a button and be seriously competitive is fooling themselves. If there's going to be improvement, it's going to build gradually (and I do see signs of it), so in that respect I am encouraged when I see them playing better - even if they don't get a result.

6. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This trolling is getting a little weird.

I have no ties to BF (or anyone else in the Revs organization - though I knew someone who once tried out for them!). I have an immense respect for what Friedel's done for US Soccer, but as a coach, I'm just hopeful that he will be successful. I see good things and some not so good things so far, but I think it's a mistake to make final judgments with a work-in-progress.

KapeGuy, BrianLBI and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is weird is that you consider "trolling" to find remarkable your perpetual apologetics for Friedel, and your being ever ready to find the "reason" why the failure of his actions are not his failure [but some player, for example]. In your posts you do not show a wise hesitation for final judgement, you show a precipitate judgement that Brad is not responsible for the state and play of his team [yes, his team. The one which he himself told us now had the players he wanted. His team, crafted by him, managed by him, the ones chosen by him to set out his vision of what should happen on the field].
    SoccerDoc was an optimist, an always "glass half full" persona. Optimism, as a perspective on how to make life bearable, I do understand. What you do is something different.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the brevity of the Minn game thread, I don't think there is anyone here expecting that.

I think what most of us are expecting is yet another season hovering just below the playoff line, as the Revs continue to use a combination of hard work and thuggery to try to make up for their lack of talent.

Carles Gil is a great addition, but this team has too many flaws for Gil to do it all on his own.

When Jalil Anibaba is your second leading goal scorer, you have serious problems.

RevsLiverpool, firstshirt and Feldspar repped this.
  9. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I am definitely at the other end of the spectrum regarding BF and the Revs in general but I always appreciate you analysis and your optimism. I always hope you are right about the Revs improving, but can't quite bring myself to share it

firstshirt and KapeGuy repped this.
  10. Higgins86

Higgins86 New Member

New England Revolution
    England
    Apr 9, 2019
    Hey guys i two tickets for Saturday in good seats right near the halfway line. Me and my son can’t make the game but i hate for seats to be empty. If anyone is interested let me know and I’ll forward you the e ticket

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If no one gets back to you, and you're willing to give them away ... the Midnight Riders do a ticket program for those interested. You'd just have to email them your tickets, and they pass them along (no money involved either way).

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't recall ever saying (or implying) anything like that.

Part of my support for Friedel is rooted in his rejection of the idea that US players need to be treated differently, more kid gloves. He's had a lot of experience with higher standards in Europe and thinks that should be true here too. I think the USMNT decline is almost completely due to MLS softening our players - in contrast to what Europe did for players like Friedel and Reyna. I'd call it the Donovanization of our players. Virtually every USNT player that has come back to MLS has declined in ability.

As much as we all loved Lee Nguyen, he spent plenty of time coasting. That would never have been tolerated in Europe. He's spent his career since he returned to the US playing in a comfortable league, rather than pushing/challenging himself. That's why he never became a fixture in the USNT that is dying for players with his type of skills.

RevsLiverpool and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    It seems so far Friedel's (and his staff - which he loves to say) vision and choices regarding tactics and player choices - both starters and subs, are not really working out.

Still unclear if this is still a steep, steep learning curve for him, or Friedel is just not cut out to coach and motivate men.

NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Its unclear. On the one hand, maybe the manager should be able to will a team to wins. On the other hand, the Revs roster is made primarily of players that would struggle in the USL. Seriously, they have 1 bona fide MLS player, 3 or 4 players who are borderline game day 18 quality, and a bunch of scrubs

15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I agree - but I just wonder about Friedel's general approach and how it is affecting the players. Friedel wants players to fight for their jobs, and there is something to be said for that - players to push players.

But better man managers can get more out of less talent.

Friedel still does not have a true leader or captain (don't even get me started on Mancienne). I wonder if this is Friedel wanting to keep the control himself or he is bad judge of what is captain material - a sign of an inexperienced coach in my opinion.

And Friedel's management of benching guys or banishing them - hot and cold...this doesn't seem to be motivating guys. It seems to be making them play scared, scared to make a mistake. It seems it is not a reward to players who start, but a punishment of someone else. I mean really, Knighton now banished (and I am not even a huge Knighton fan)?

And Friedel's assessment of formation and starting players feels like a pancake - always flip flopping. Again, some coaches can better assess how to utilize what they have and like you say - help will a team to results. I don't see Friedel possessing this quality - is that something that will come with time and experience? I agree - hard to tell.

I do think Friedel's job is to win games utilizing what he has, or demanding what he needs. His job is not to try and teach what they can't execute, and then assess blame on the players - another sign of inexperience in my book.

swedust repped this.
  16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, he inherited a team with more talent than this...and proceeded to tell us how much scheit they were and that he needed to blow up the year so he could bring in His Men, Real Footballers, Serious Folk..... Then he proceeded to tell us before this year unfolded that he now had His Guys, now he had that team of Real Footballers.... blah blah blah....
    So if this is what he, Brad Friedel, Genius Manager, does with His Men, with Real Footballers, I guess we can imagine how poorly those he cast off are playing elsewhere.........

dncm, A Casual Fan, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post! Your reference to "Real Men" reminded me if that series of bud lightlight commercials about "Real Men of Genius"..

Here's to you bald former goalkeeper trying to motivate your team to victory.

swedust, dncm, NFLPatriot and 1 other person repped this.
  18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question: Does Friedel have his coaching license? Not that it’s required obviously, but I’ve no idea if he went through that process.

19. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has his UEFA "pro" coaching license according to this article from mlssoccer.com announcing him as the Revs new coach back in November 2017.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can change the title of this thread to "Brad Friedel IS bad at his job, here's why" (or similar).

A few alternative title ideas -
    Friedel is just as bad at his job as how good he was for the USMNT
    Is Friedel the worst revs coach in history?

The only question now is how bad is he?

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hat tip to Revolution Recap podcast with Greg Johnstone and Sean Donahue, for pointing out some of these stats.

The Revs have 19 shots on goal in 7 games (4 of 7 at home), which is less than 3 per game. Zero shots on goal from strikers (if you concede Buchanan's lone SOG came when he was playing wing).

Here is your Revolution strike corp:
    Teal Bunbury 537 min, 11 shots, 0 SOG
    Juan Agudelo 310 minutes, 3 shots, 0 SOG
    JF Caicedo 192 min, 5 shots, 0 SOG
    Justin Rennicks 45 min, 2 shots, 0 SOG
    Tajon Buchanan 38 min, 3 shots, 1 SOG

Meanwhile, the Revs had only 3 available defenders against ATL, yet Friedel left Somi ($391K last year) out of the 18.

Empty roster slots, banished players, wasted salary, no player development. The coach who "knows goalkeeping" can't even settle on a starting keeper. The Friedel experiment is a failure.

RevsLiverpool, RevsRule, dncm and 3 others repped this.
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    No doubt, BIG problems there.

For me, though, a bit of a bright spot - I though J-Caicedo looked pretty bright and intelligent with the ball. I can see some nice skills there - I think if they keep him in the lineup he'll start to produce.

OTOH, it seems like Penilla seems to check-out when things aren't going well. :( And I think JCaicedo needs him to play off.
    Clearly there's a reason he doesn't trust Somi. I suspect that he tried to move him in the off-season but wasn't able to.
    Wasted salary, for sure. No player development - ah, I'd say not enough. Jones seems to be coming along, Bye has developed.

Banished players? I'd say mixed - Caldwell and Zahibo seem to have worked their way back in. Anibaba too.
    Many of the criticisms are valid, but I don't think this one is. His job is to evaluate who is playing best and gives them the best chance to win. I have no problem with him making changes - Cropper's clearly been better than Knighton IMO. If he's got 3 capable keepers, there's nothing wrong with using them.

23. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if there’s one position I’m not going to criticize Friedel on, it’s his keepers. I’m not worried about our troika unless one of them starts becoming cancerous in the locker room. No sign of that (or at least no keeper unhappiness above the average, anyway).

24. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Jones isnt an example of player development. He was a college draft pick 3 months ago

Bye was a draft pick 15 months ago, so some organizational improvement for him but his training came somewhere else

NFLPatriot repped this.
  25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    And Friedel is based on his decision. He said Caicedo used to play right back in Colombia - don' know what that really means in terms of how much he played there. But both goals initiated from the Rev's right side. So Friedel tried something and it did not work this time.

But the "this times" are piling up in the wrong directions.

Not saying it was you but I could have sworn there were posts like this about Hauche too last year.

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.