Official “Is Brad Friedel bad at his job?” Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Feldspar, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Maybe the 2018 roster was overrated?

I know I was optimistic going into the season (I just about always am, creditability be damned), but not enough of the new signings were good enough be much better than they were. Looking at it now (after the fact), I'd say that roster finished about where it should have (although maybe not the 'way' it should have).

Dielna, Somi and Zahibo were just not good enough - and that's enough key defensive players to sink a team's hopes.

If this year's additions (along with last season's mid-season additions) don't include enough 'difference makers', we're not liable to be much better, whether Friedel is a good coach or not.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't overrated by many....

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks for sharing that

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    That is good news!!

I know I have said enough of my observations how Friedel handled his first year.

This year will tell us a lot how he has changed and what it means to how the team plays and gets results.

And I don't think they are flying today with the storm, right?

6. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you’ve said Friedel is responsable for bringing in players, not Mike Burns... The only name above that wasn’t brought in after his hire is Dielna. But in general, your « If this year’s additions... » comment comes right back to Brad.

pwykes repped this.
  7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Transfer window only matters for the acquiring team, players can be sold at any time.

As to where else windows are open right now, everywhere on a calendar year season schedule, so Sweden, Norway, Ireland, China, Japan, Korea, all of SE Asia, Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Colombia (until the end of this week), and a decent number of Eastern European leagues

Here is the full list of transfer windows

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. ftruscott

ftruscott New Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 6, 2018
    In the US. According to a FIFA site, the window for the USA is from Feb 13 until May 7 this year. So we can bring in anyone from anywhere in the world until May 7. It is the signing team's federation window that matters.

The only way the selling team's window comes into play is that a team in country with a closed window may be more hesitant to sell a player they can't replace immediately.

https://www.fifatms.com/itms/worldwide-transfer-windows-calendar/

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Jinx

A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the answer, for >20 years when this comes up is consistent. Our window is open. Of course the other thing that is consistent for >20 years is that the REVs have a hard time following up on these announcements once the UEFA window is closed. Who knows why.

12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess UEFA window is wrong given some of the teams listed. Big league Western Europe windows?

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Players welcome weekly battle for starting spots: "We want the competition"
    https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/po...kly-battle-starting-spots-we-want-competition

Putting this here as this will be just another component of Friedel's ability as a manager.

Everyone sounds upbeat now - but how will some of these players feel mid-season not playing?

Or will Freidel rotate too much?

Or with players "close" in ability - will Friedel pick the right or wrong combinations of players/tactics?

TOAzer repped this.
  14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Friedel say at halftime and in post-game: This is not what we worked on all week.

Either Friedel is coaching the wrong things, he has the wrong players, or the players are not listening to him. Or all 3.

Friedel spent the whole game pointing and gesticulating and yelling at the 4th official.

He had his first season that trended the wrong way, He had the off-season to make it his own. Friedel says he kept the right guys.

4 games in with no clear improvement.

Friedel is in over his head. Not him and his coaching staff. Just Friedel.

MM66, RevsLiverpool, a517dogg and 3 others repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be a painfully long season...

CynicRev repped this.
  16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To answer the question, "yes."

pwykes repped this.
  17. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brad had better figure this out soon or he'll be fired in three years instead of 5. :whistling:

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    To that point, they played better (and differently) in the 2nd half.

I think, in the first half particularly, their lack of precision in handling and distributing the ball probably pretty much sabotaged any attempt to do what they worked on in practice.

It did seem from behind the Revs bench, that Friedel was pretty unhappy almost all of the first half with the way the team was playing on the field. For sure, it's his job to make sure they get it, but it also seems clear that in many instances they aren't understanding/willing/able to do what he wants at this point.

19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he started, he got cut some slack because he "inherited the team" and they weren't his guys. So Nemeth leaves, Lee leaves, Rowe leaves. How are those guys doing now? Nemeth is starting as is Lee. Rowe started last week and is moving up for his team. So BF gets "his" guys and we're now worse. I turned the game off on Sunday, something I never do. We were that bad to watch. Friedel's system doesnt work. We have no system that I can see other than run around for 90 minutes and pray. I honestly dont see us beating anybody. In watching them, and Brad... and listening to him blame everybody but himself, I think he's lost the team already. If Im a player I would not bust my ass for a coach that calls out "6 players not trying" Maybe he thinks Im one of the 6? No, the fact is that they dont believe what he believes and it shows. Its a terminal situation Im afraid. Brad cant change what hes doing and they arent drinking Brad's Kool-Aid.

It feels like the end of the Heaps days to me. Brad was a mistake. Were in last place and the gate shows it. Instead of finding out what the Hell is going.... the Krafts could care less. They could have a top venue here if they would just spend the money to get quality players and a coach that knows how to win

pwykes, a517dogg and TOAzer repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is HIS team. These are the players HE wanted.

1 point in 4 games.

The responsibility lies on two people ... the roommates. Apparently that's all it takes to get hired into the Revs.

MM66, RevsLiverpool, Feldspar and 3 others repped this.
  21. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

...and is Bilello somehow not seeing what is happening?

And is JK not seeing, either?

They both/all see it all. What's the word these days - oh, yeah, "complicit". At a minimum.

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [1] So bloody true.
    [2] We were that bad to watch, and you were not the only one to turn off the game. This I know! :)
    [3] We are relying on the kindness of strangers. As the sage commentator put it: "that's rad, Cotton".
    [4] Here I'll disagree with you. We'll win some games. Occasionally, strangers can be kind. After all, even Huddersfield can say this.
    [5] Brad could have the fastest run from "His Team" to "Diss Team" in history.
    [6] I wish. Unfortunately the Revs like their teams Zombie.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MM66 repped this.
  24. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel claims half the team is dogging it? Well you can't replace half the team at this stage of the season. Guess you gotta go Brad.

MM66, a517dogg and pwykes repped this.
  25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I think this is papering over the cracks - once a team is up a goal or two and sit back a little, the other team always "looks" better.

My bold. That is the problem.

If you have not watched this video of his press conference - everyone absolutely must:
    https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/po...ork-hard-enough-loss-cincinnati?autoplay=true