Official “Is Brad Friedel bad at his job?” Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Feldspar, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything was one of the better qualities of a Heaps team it was pretty nice skill [at the MLS level] at playing possession. And players like Nguyen, Rowe, Fagundez were successful with it. That Brad's first action was to jettison that style, and move swiftly to a style that screamed of "Blackburn!", and try to keep only one of these players in his plans for the team, is telling that what he's built is the kind of structure he wants to see built.
    Now I'm sure he'd like a higher quality of player to fit what he's "building", but the plans for this sucker are all BF.

a517dogg and A Casual Fan repped this.
  2. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I _enjoyed_ watching Brad's team _less_ than last year's team... and teams of the recent past.

A small but important feeling to me. I'm just one fan and my satisfaction with the product had diminished.

But I hope I am not the litmus. I'd rather just be an older fan, crankier and harder to please, than a barometer for a trend of more widespread disinterest. If that's the case, Brad shares a good portion of the blame.

3. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it's a little premature, but I doubt the last game of the season is going to change my assessment of the thread question, "Is Friedel bad at his job?"

Based on everything I've seen this season, I'm solidly in the "yes" camp.

We already knew his experience was pretty limited: he's coached teenagers for a couple years, but never any pros. So that was a strike against. But there was still reason to expect a post-Heaps rebound. Our roster from the end of last year undeniably had talent, and a new coach should bring a clearing of the air and a new vigor to the team, along with new players to upgrade/compliment the existing talent.

That only sort of happened. We did get some new guys who seemed like steps forward: Caicedo, Penilla, Bye. But we also lost players without adequate replacement: Nguyen and Kamara spring to mind. Neither may have had a future in Brad's system, but they had talent that we didn't improve upon. That's Friedel's fault, in tandem with Burns.

And speaking of Brad's system, that left something to be desired, imo. For sure, the Heaps "possess until you get blisters or you lose the ball" approach was frustrating. But it was a system that seemed, to me anyway, like it was only a couple pieces short of being a successful one: we needed a striker and/or poacher who could put the ball in the net, and someone who could reliably connect our midfield possessors to that person. But Friedel went for the high press, fast counter approach.

Frankly, I hate it. That's obviously a matter of taste. But after about a third of the season, we seemed to lose our ability to execute it well. Maybe that's due to the rest of the league figuring it out. Maybe it's due to our players being a poor fit for such a system. Maybe it's because it's a stupid system (again, imo). But it proved to be a failure, regardless of the cause. That's Friedel's fault.

Then there's Friedel's lockerroom philosophy, in so far as he sketched out in that recent interview. Players need to fight for their spots and not be friends until they earn those spots. To somewhat oversimplify, Friedel seems to think MLS lockerrooms are too nice. Now, there is a time and a place for the hard-ass approach in sports. See Bill Belichick. But as others on this board have noted, it requires a lot of discretion in its application. You don't use that approach to publicly humiliate players. There's a reason that Belichick pressers are the least informative events in the NFL. He can be a hard ass to his guys because they know he won't shit all over them to the press. Friedel doesn't seem to have learned that. Frankly, I think Friedel is too green to be using the hard-ass approach; Belichick got to watch Bill Parcells for years. Friedel hasn't watched anyone that closely, and has sooooo much to learn about coaching still. He needs to recognize his limitations and shoulder much more of the burden of failures until he gets some experience.

(And if he thinks being nice and welcoming to teammates is a bad thing, maybe he should watch the Sox this year. They're as close as can be, have won the most games in team history, and are within two games of winning the World Series.)

And it bears mentioning that Friedel never actually pulled us out of the summer swoon. Yes, we had a win or two, here and there. But it never ended. That's something that even Heaps was able to break with a winning streak, and is part of the reason why our point tally this year is worse than last, which is just sad.

TL;DR: Friedel is currently bad at his job. If it were up to me, I'd fire him now and hire someone with experience, though I know that won't happen.

Maybe Friedel can turn it around next year. I do hope he can. But I am not optimistic, in large part because I know he'll be hampered by the limitations of a Kraft/Burns FO. Turning this year's Revs around is already tough enough for someone with Friedel's apparent shortcomings; having Burns as his boss and the Krafts holding the purse strings make it just that much harder for him.

propnut27, a517dogg, Dr. Sneezy and 11 others repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above is a great post. Just repping somehow doesn't seem sufficient.

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/10/26/armchair-analyst-whats-stake-across-league-decision-day

It also needs reiterating that, over the past two seasons, the Revs have spent more on their backline and defensive midfield than anyone outside of the Galaxy, and of the six big-budget players they've brought in, only one (Michael Mancienne) is currently a starter. And he's not 100 percent looking the part.

I have always felt the Revs have focused almost too much on re-staffing the "backline" over and over, and they were always trying to do it with a diamond n the rough (ie cheap and available). Bring in some studs - real studs at Forward and Attacking Center Mid - and that will help the overall team and alleviate pressure on the backs.

Or commit to bringing in a real stud in the back. Mancienne, as noted by many across the league, has been a big miss so far on Friedel's part.(his first panic buy) Although every report about Mancienne prior to his arrival has been pretty spot on - maybe the Revs should have read those same reports?

A Casual Fan repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I was told Friedel is much smarter than those fans who had actually seen Mancienne play...

TOAzer repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dusting off this thread mainly to compare Friedel's first season to a guy that interviewed but didn't get the job, Gio Savarese. One is in MLS Cup with Portland and the other is home watching, having never even made the playoffs.

While their tenure should be judged over time and one year doesn't confirm anything good or bad, Savarese won this round. It also shows the benefits experience, even at a lower level can have when you make the jump to coaching at the highest level.

dncm, NFLPatriot, Feldspar and 2 others repped this.
  8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Friedel had to look at evidence, with his own two eyes, before being able to assess the quality of a player, well, then, he would be just another poor shlub stumbling through life like We, The Peasants, who have to prove we know what we are talking about before we know we know it. . It takes a man of genuine smarts to grasp that the deaf hear best and the blind see best and the dumb speak best. It takes genius smarts to go further and comprehend that not to know is to know, and that he best articulates the truth who best dissembles.
    Friedel is Genius Smart.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I would have preferred Gio, he gained a much better team than did Brad. And a much better organization as well.

Revs in 2010, Mike Marshall and BrianLBI repped this.
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timbers credit Savarese for fostering "fun environment," "united group"
    December 2, 2018, 3:21PM EST
    Matt Hoffman

Somehow, I don't think "fun environment" describes Fortress Foxboro this past season...

firstshirt, RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  11. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall the articles at the time, Gio was holding out for a better team and organization. Good for him.

No offense to Brad, but the Revs went for the coach that had no competitive alternative and could be had at their price.

TOAzer repped this.
  12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one of the recent articles about Savarese, someone commented that he was really good at noticing certain subtle things going on in the course of a game, and being able to make the right tactical adjustments mid-game, whether it was with a sub, or just having the guys already on the field play a little differently.

Sigh.

pwykes, RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say he didn't. Just simply that he's been able to take a team right through the competitive west to MLS Cup. Win or lose, it's impressive for a first year MLS coach to step in and make that type of impact.

14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I so agree with all of this. The only thing is, that if it's as accurate as I think it is... we're ********ed for the foreseeable future.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I shouldn't be surprised that some people are ready to give up on a coach one year into a rebuild.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is "giving up," but he is definitely on the clock. The next few months will go a long way to determine how serious Friedel and the Powers That Be are about this "rebuilding." If we sign a couple of players who are clearly head-and-shoulders above the rest, guys who are real difference makers (Penilla level), that sends a clear message.

On the other hand, if there are no significant players signed, or if the new players are nothing more than cheap journeymen with a sketchy record (who we hope might catch lightning in a bottle, but no reason to believe he will), that will also send a crystal-clear message.

Let's wait and see where we are when camp opens.

TOAzer repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point. Why should the past be considered prologue to the present? This year, Charlie Brown, and it's a promise, that ball will be there for you to kick. No pulling away and watching you fall on your back; screaming in frustration.. Trust me, kick away, it's all good.... Promise!

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #243 patfan1, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  19. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    What am I missing? Didn’t see any ex Revs quoted on that article.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I fixed my mistake. Link updated.

pwykes repped this.
  21. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Roew gets new teammates/lockeroom, awesome stadium, practice facilities, playing for a team with a plan and ambitions, and an experienced coach. Just like Lee did.

Rowe will have to prove himself to standout in KC(like Lee did), and if he does - it will only further blacken the cloud over Revs land.

But I wonder if Rowe is "too far gone", ie wasted and corrupted for too long by Heaps and then Friedel. It will be on Rowe to prove he is not - otherwise, he will simply be another journeymen MLS player like so many.

And Friedel will have to demonstrate that even if Rowe turns it around, his decisions on other players worked out even better based on results.

pwykes repped this.
  23. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

Interesting observations and comments too. Notice that another MLS writer said Freidel said the exact same thing last year.

Mentality is a big part - but the coach "and his staff" (that Friedel loves to qualify) need to instill that as much as the player having it.

Oh, and the coach needs to coach soccer, identify talent, manage roster improvements, make tactical adjustments in games, manage substitutions, manage men, and win games.

If Friedel is always just going to turn to the mentality - then his coaching career will be pretty short.

24. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Seems like they're "taking forward" a lot (lot!) of last years players.

I am still concerned that, despite his prior comments about major changes, that Brad's now decided to "take forward with him" slightly too many players from last year's roster, if he's expecting this upcoming year's on-field outcomes to improve significantly over last season.

It is almost as if he is acquiescing to the realization that there is a poor talent-acquisition-machine in place at Revs.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He nearly got the raiders to the super bowl then won it in Tampa. There's probably some validity to that approach or management style in the NFL, but I doubt it translates to MLS.