Offical Michigan Bucks Rule The World Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Oakland Co United, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Oakland Co United

Oakland Co United New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    Yes, it's true the Bucks haven't updated their web site for 2004, but here's the home schedule.....

Tues 5/18 7:30pm vs Fort Wayne
    Sun 5/23 6:30pm vs Cleveland
    Wed 5/26 7:30pm vs Toledo
    Sat 6/5 7:30pm vs Fire Reserves
    Sat 6/12 7:30pm vs Indiana
    Sat 6/19 7:30pm vs Columbus
    Tue 6/22 7:30pm vs Fort Wayne
    Thur 6/24 7:30pm vs Kalamazoo
    Wed 7/14 7:30pm vs West Michigan

All games on the flubber @ Hurley Field.

The Bucks open the first two games on the road. These along with the 5/18 & 5/23 games serve as the US Open Cup qualifiers. And we all remember what a wild ride the boys gave us last year!

Un-offical pre-game drinking starts 2 hrs before kick off at Berkley Front. I'm the pudgy kid with the funny hat.

2. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    I'll be there. I'm the Blond-haired, Blue-eye goose stepper with "**************" written all over him.

You buyin'?

3. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    I work in Wixom and live in Redford. Only way I'm making it to the Front is if I go directly from work. 696 after 5:00pm thru the Mixing Bowl is a bitch.

I'd *really* prefer to hit Sila's and wolf down an antipasto salad.

Not knowing anything about the Bucks' roster this season I'm rather pessimistic about our Cup chances. Its going to be tough replacing Snape and KT, and I'd bet there are plenty of other big shoes to fill.

4. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    Some good news -- I have located the URL for the new Bucks website:

http://www.buckssoccer.com

It just points to the old mmbucks site for now.

5. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    No games in Canton? Bummer. I live blocks from the field.

6. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, to clarify, the June 12 game is with the Indiana Invaders. (There is also an Indiana Blast; Bucks play them on the road.)

Don't diss Hurley Field too much. It's a pretty good stadium. A lot better than that patch-of-grass-with-bad-bleachers that Plymouth-Canton is. Plus, it's right smack dab in the middle of Metro Detroit.

Bucks USL Schedule Page
    http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/teams/2004/22344.html

Did you start the "Official Detroit Jaguars Rule the W-League" thread, yet?
    http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/teams/2004/934460.html
    (Too bad I'm out of town for the Jag's home opener.)

Berkley Front is the watering hole? Last year, the Bucks did have one pub in Berkley and another in Livonia (near Plymouth) as sponsors. You would think the pre- and post-game would be there.

7. Oakland Co United

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    Sorry, won't make it out to Wixom too often this year. I'll leave that thread to someone else. Anyway, I just tried to log on to their web site and you have to send a note to the administrator to get access. Whaz up wit dat?

I say "Un-Official" as that's a good place to park, drink, walk to the game, watch game, walk back and drink some more. BF isn't the kind of place that's going to sponsor anything. I personally don't know how may pre-games I can get to with all the midweekers, may have to just chug a 4-oh in the parking lot.

And don't get me wrong, I'm pro-Hurley.

8. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    The Buck's official bar for games at Hurley last year was a place on the east side of Woodward, a little south of 9 Mile. I can't remember the name, but I know the joint. It is next door to one of my favorite bookstores, and I did manage to quaff a brew there once or twice when I lived in Ferndale.

The BF makes a lot more sense. Since I live in Redford I won't be dropping in regularly, but it would be nice to do a couple of times.

If FSW wasn't showing the USA-Mexico match on Wednesday I was going to suggest a gathering at some place that was.

9. Oakland Co United

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    The Bucks website has finally been updated. The squad looks strong.

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this team changed metropolitan areas? I thought Detroit was SE Michigan. What region were they playing before as "Mid-Michigan"?

(Sorry, my only familiariy with MI is Ludington, about 100 miles north of Holland.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Indeed, there's a lot of talent on that team. I'd expect a few MLS coaches to make their way to Bucks games this year.

Never know what happens in the playoffs but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this team in the PDL final.

12. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    I was wondering if the roster page was really finished. Could Kevin Taylor really be playing for the Bucks again? I'm thrilled if its true, but I'm not sure I get it. Shouldn't KT be playing one or two levels up? I don't think he can be classified as an amateur any longer, can he?

Alas, I have already been put on notice by my wife that I will not be able to attend the June 5 match against the Fire Reserves. I can't claim to understand her entire argument, but I did catch a few words, like "anniversary" and "castration".

13. Oakland Co United

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    The page notes that he was drafted by the Rapids, so it must be right. When they call his name in pre-game intros, I'll be the fat guy with the hot girlfriend giving him a standing O.

I hope we get another shot that the Metrostars!

14. Oakland Co United

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    The Bucks started out in Saginaw which is Mid-Michigan, quite a ways north of the D. Last season, they split games between a nice but tiny field on the west side of the metroplex and a better (but flubber surfaced) field in a more central location, Hurley Field, in Berkley. This season they play all their games @ Hurley, in rush hour the two are about a 45 - 60 minute drive.

I would have like to see them go to Berkley Bucks.

15. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    This makes me pumped for the home opener.

16. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    Sounds great, but there is still another road tilt before we can start dreaming about an Open Cup match. I'm going to be on pins and needles Saturday night. I really wish I could listen to that game somehow.

17. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Dave, I haven't counted my chickens prior to hatching ever since I dated the world's biggest dick-tease.

I'm just excited about the game on Tuesday.

18. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Well, Trevor & friends, looks as if I'll have my chance to witness the team that rules the world in July, when the Bucks visit the Cleveland area. Sounds as if they're off to an impressive start. Hope you all have the opportunity to make it down to Byers Field. Maybe by then the locals will have officially earmarked a prescribed watering hole for before and after the match. Best wishes to the Bucks for the '04 Open Cup quest.

19. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me when I tell you, I wish you could listen to that game, too. :(

20. osama

osama New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Desert, Afghanistan
    After what I saw last night at the Indiana game I think it will be a major upset if anyone beats this team in this division.

Very polished performance, Kabwe and Turpin were outstanding - Knox couldve scored 6 if he had finished all his chances

I dont envy their opposition, but look forward to seeing them on Sat

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Can someone find out what Kevin Taylor's deal is.

Clearly, this guy has the talent to play at a level higher than the PDL. Is he just playing with the Bucks while he finishes school in Ann Arbor?

Did he even go pre-season with the Rapids or did he go and get released?

Why isn't he at-least playing in the A-League? I mean, there are teams in MLS that still have Developmental Roster spots available and I would think a guy like Taylor would be worth burning one on and if not, there are A-League teams that could use a 6-5 center back with good ball skills.

Does he have no aspirations to play above the PDL level?

BTW, nice opening game for the Bucks - Cameron and Turpin sure have a nice chemistry.

22. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    KT did indeed try out with Colorado. I'm 99% sure he accompanied the Rapids on their trip to Spain. It just didn't work out. Reportedly KT's feet were good, but he had some difficulty adapting to the speed of MLS forwards. Also, the Rapids found a couple of defenders they liked, and keeping a third like KT didn't make sense.

This shouldn't be too surprising. I don't have much knowledge of how MLS drafts work, but I did see some numbers that suggest most guys drafted after the 2nd round have an uphill climb to make the club. I think KT was drafted in the 3rd round.

I would assume that being drafted by MLS and training with the Rapids means KT has no college eligibility left. If so, does that mean KT is one of the Bucks' players receiving renumeration?

I'm going to be on pins and needles tomorrow night until the score comes in.

23. EditorDave

EditorDave Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Redford, MI
    Columbus has disbanded, leaving a couple of gaps on the schedule. According to the news release, I believe this became official yesterday.

24. Oakland Co United

Jan 2, 2003
    The 248
    Looks like another good showing last night, but no mention in the News or Oakland Press this morning. How many more 5 goal victories will it take to get a little coverage from the local papers?

25. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Fellow Bucksters,

I will be attending tonights game. Calm down.

An-y-way. I will be the tool sporting the white Torino jersey with a big red SDA ad on the front. If that doesn't help, look for the blond guy being harrassed by security.

Hopefully the weather doesn't scare you pusscakes away. Let me know if some of you want to partake of the sweet nectar of life prior to game time.