The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, he is that lazy/disorganized!

Draghignazzo repped this.
  2. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precourt is keeping the name because he's planning on relocating Austin to Columbus in a couple years. Dongarber likes multiple teams in Massive cities -- Chicago is out because of an overly restrictive lease. That leaves the only other Massive City in the Midwest to field two teams.

Simply put, Precourt wants to be loved by the great unwashed masses. Like Lebron, he left Ohio on piss poor terms and will return with much fanfare and jubilation. He will call the team Real Columbus City SC and will spearhead the new development at Buckeye Lake; including a 30,000 seat multipurpose stadium and apartment complex with light rail provisions connecting the old downtown area to the new and vibrant center of population.

3. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I thought Team Columbus LLC was created Inc. 1994 before The Crew ever existed. Isn’t Team Columbus what PSV bought from the Hunts? I would have thought Edwards/Haslams would now own Team Columbus.
    Maybe that’s how they get around the expansion issue. PSV owns Team Columbus in Austin and Haslam owns whatever is playing in Columbus.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would not surprise me. There were hints dropped to that effect--that while we will have and do have continuity with the Crew, they technically would be an expansion team, from a financial point of view.

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Beacom follows Big Soccer because it's freaking clockwork that he posts a tweet about jobs in Austin... Screenshot_20190319-132307_Twitter.jpeg

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed, my post yesterday was made around 3.30pm... Wtf

Bill Archer repped this.
  7. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't recall which rabid Austin FC supporter brought this up, and look as I might I can't find the post, but I distinctly recall some Hipster 6-er suggesting that we might be forced to consider their effort to get an MLS team to be more "legitimate" once the number of Austin FC subreddit subscribers blew by us sometime mid-season.

So let's see how they're doing. Rather than just compare them to the Crew's subreddit, I decided to compare them to all MLS clubs as well as other expansion (and near expansion) teams.

I'm sorry to report that I don't see much evidence of a surge in Austin FC interest : - (

ATL 18,100
    MIN 11,900
    SEA 9,800
    POR 7,700
    FCC 6,000
    Crew 5,500
    NYCFC 5,300
    TOR 5,300
    SKC 5,100
    ORL 4,900
    LAFC 4,200
    LAG 4,200
    PHI 4,100
    DCU 4,000
    CHI 3,300
    NYRB 3,200
    SJE 3,100
    HOU 2,800
    NER 2,700
    VAN 2,600
    DAL 2,400
    RSL 2,100
    COL 1,700
    Austin 1,400
    MON 1,300
    SAC 1,100
    NASH 1,000
    MIA 912

For comparison's sake, the MLS league-wide subreddit has 108,000 subscribers.

Austin's subscriber numbers are lower than every MLS club other than Montreal (is Reddit much of a thing in French speaking Canada?). They're a few hundred lower than marketing powerhouse Colorado. But they'd need to leapfrog 17 MLS clubs to get where we are (we have the 6th highest number of followers in the league).

Rest assured I'll continue to track these numbers and will report back as soon as I see evidence of the inevitable surge in interest in Austin FC on Reddit.

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why is reddit the measure of team interest as opposed to, say, BigSoccer? Because an Austin hipster decreed it -- on BigSoccer?

TyphonInc and jack sticker repped this.
  9. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's not. I just more than willing to research their pathetic level of support across any potential platform.

11. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    [​IMG]

Sorry could not help myself you stepped right into that one.

MLSinCleveland and RafaLarios repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was Austin not Reddit....

13. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    We are talking digital places now. Pay attention.

14. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go.... it was @TheesUhlmann here:
    and here:

Still not sure why ATXSockerBois think Subreddit is a means to on field success but hey..... Grackles gonna grackle I guess.....

15. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Kneepads with another historical thriller.
    My key takeaway was Greeley was scouting the Austin Aztec USL partnership in 2013, just a few months after PSV bought the Crew. This tells me they had an eye on Austin since day 1. Never tried in Columbus. The tanking was on purpose. ******** Don and ******** little Anthony.

Bill Archer repped this.
  16. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t believe they tanked the team on purpose. Yeah, they wanted to move and yes, they didn’t want to spend any money but them tanking the team and destroying their business relationships were because they were inept.

17. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with this assessment in most cases. At least in the first couple years. It’s the private equity model really.

“We bought this with the general perception that it’s currently being mismanaged and has inherent value. We will invest a minimal amount of operational expense and as little capital expense as possible all the while having a completely viable exit plan. This is an asset to us on our balance sheet, nothing more.”

I still have seen nothing from Tony Trustfund that indicates he has a strong and purposeful desire to own a soccer team. Other than a strong desire to be universally liked and part of the old boys club.

18. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in the last year, when their intentions were clear, sure, they were actively torpedoing the franchise. That seems undeniable. But before that? I tend to agree that it was more incompetence than strategy. And you see some of the same traits reported out of Austin in that previous Statesman article from a few weeks ago that chronicled what was going on behind the scenes back in 2016-17. Precourt isn't good at this. He doesn't know how to hire good people. Doesn't know how to build an organization. Doesn't know how to seek out and nurture relationships. We are so effing fortunate to be rid of him. It's like your doctor giving you the miraculous news that, after a years' long battle, you're cancer free.

jack sticker repped this.
  19. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were going to be rid of him one way or another. No Crew or Crew with new ownership were both better options than Crew with Tony.

I think after 2015, it was their desired intent to get out. They gave it 2.5 years, but everything after that was aimed at getting out. Otherwise, you don’t hire the exact same staff for your new franchise that was in place at your old, failing franchise.

And there are some on this board who might give it all up if they could guarantee that message from their doctor.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A hive of scum and villainy.

RafaLarios and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  21. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They were never “all in on Columbus”. I think they had an eye on Austin from the initial purchase. They just couldn’t move forward without a stadium down there. In the mean while they were status quo in Columbus. So maybe they didn’t “tank” but they definitely didn’t invest for the future either. This league is growing fast and not investing is a killer for growth.
    Either way, I’m glad to be rid of him. So much happier now, just leary of those ********s at the league office.

CybrSlydr, foozer, Tobias C and 4 others repped this.
  22. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While drinking and watching multiple television screens full of March Madness in our own house, I went on a rant about the perils of downvoting.

My husband wisely listened, disagreed politely, and we went back to explaining basketball plays and fouls to Markus (who stayed up late to watch).

LaMacchia repped this.
  23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. this is why the BS system of having rep but no neg rep is a good one.

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer the pre-rep days of BS.

25. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hear ye, hear ye. I proclaim that this thread was started with the pure hated of heart that those whom have born direct witness-- before Sirs @Kyle Crew and @hardhead (hi, @Mrs Kyle Crew) can pour the Brain Bleach (tm) all over everything --can attest on these very hallowed boards. And in this malevolent spirit, young(ish) @jack sticker did not thread title with the words, 'hated' and 'official' lightly. Nay! Therefore, I proclaim that namby-pamby shit like above be mocked and ridiculed and driven from this thread starting the day that Broccoli FC kick a ball in their toxic swamp for the first time.*

But you know, right now? Who cares, go nuts. I even agree, it's a great town, but visit in the winter! It's hot af.

*:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sick::sick::sick::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sick::sick::sick:

jack sticker repped this.