The "Let's All Laugh at aust!n" Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jack sticker, Jan 14, 2019.

1. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018

If it came to the point where a major portion of our fans would root against the US and for Germany I think it would be a problem.

TyphonInc repped this.
  2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends. Are we loaded up with first and second generation German-Americans like parts of the US are loaded with first and second generation Mexican-Americans? Do we have GA’s that still have close ties and immediate family in Germany, like many MA’s? Doubt it.

Is there some rule that only white American fans can be Austin fans? Did I miss some memo where Precourt told the USSF and MLS to fvck off and that he wanted to join the FMF and Liga MX? Is there some sort of official partnership?

Or is it just a witty nickname that people are overreacting to? Because, you know what, all people do these days is overreact to fvcking everything. Everything is the worst thing ever. It’s ridiculous.

We’ve become a nation of goddamn babies.

Alneri, TheesUhlmann and KCbus repped this.
  3. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    I think they have explicitly tried to tie themselves to the Mexican National team. The USMNT bitter rival. It is another reason other MLS fans will hate them. As for me I will never be as big of a USMNT fan as I was before. International soccer is stupid.

4. DOGSO

DOGSO Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 24, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Ah, "too soon" indeed. Perhaps you understood my analogy as intended. Much as I don't actually hate the receptionist, neither do Crew fans hate Austinites. We even understand why you would be happy to have a MLS team to support. We don't begrudge you that ... until it comes to HOW it happened ... largely at our expense. Our animosity toward our former owner and DG will likely never wane, but maybe in time, our view of you as supporters will.

And while you seemed to have mishandled the phrase "sun in your eyes" (which I believe should be "sun warm upon your face"), I'll try and offer one that I hope has a positive connotation for you: Stay Weird!

TyphonInc repped this.
  5. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018

From all of this I believe that Austin is a city filled with dorks. People you would beat up and put in their locker if you went to high school with them.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    With you to here.

Maybe you would. It's textbook trying-too-hard punnery. Whoever came up with it should be flayed daily for a fortnight.

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's not witty. It's dumb as ********.

odave, Bill Archer and jack sticker repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Jack, Kyle is also right. It's almost as dumb to be "offended" because it sounds like El Tri. Just mock the shit out of them.

9. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    They have pretty overtly tried to link themselves to the FMF in other ways. I think it is more just stupid pandering. I said it in the original mega thread but they remind me of those 90s satire movies like "Not Another Scary Movie" "Not another Teen Movie." It is like a joke making fun of American soccer. They latch on to every cliche to the point that they have turned themselves into a caricature.

If you look at the photos of the events their is maybe 10-15 percent Hispanics at their events. I believe Austin is ball park 30 percent Hispanic. No one respects pandering and people trying to be something they are not.

10. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    #310 jack sticker, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  11. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    The one asterisk I will tag to this is that the ballpark 30 percent is self-reported on a census form. It does not mean people are Mexican, or of Mexican decent.

While the whole El Tree thing may be an attempt to be cute, it's probably not moving any needles in the community. It will probably be more along the lines of how people are Irish on St. Patrick's Day. You'll get a handful of people in the stands wearing sombreroes and a bunch of people behind them asking them to take them off so they can see the field.

MLSinCleveland, Kyle Crew and Timon19 repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you guys worried about? That there are going to be United States Men’s National Team fans in Austin who are going to change allegiances because of a ********ing nickname?

Besides: I thought one of the big bitches everyone had regarding US soccer was that the Federation and MLS were too closely intertwined. Why should anyone give two genuine shits what national team a bunch of guys in Texas cheer for, or what another MLS team associates themselves with to draw interest?

jairadballerina, Kyle Crew and Timon19 repped this.
  13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Holy shit. Did you hire a proofreader? Only missed an is/are. Well done!

14. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    blind squirrel acorn

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But again... why the hell do you care?

If he-who-shall-not-be-named (BTW, congrats to Greg Andrulis for getting out of the cellar) turns his new team into a grease fire because he misreads the demographics or just plain sucks at marketing, fine. Let him. Eff that guy. And if chasing Hispanic business works down there, well... he who laughs last, I guess.

But it has nothing to do with national teams or patriotism. It’s not like the next US/Mexico game is going to be held there, so I don’t see why anyone gives a rip.

Timon19 repped this.
  16. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm feeling the same pain others have mentioned about losing a pet. Just had to have my dog put to sleep last week. My sister in law adopted her from the humane society after she was found stuck chained up somewhere, scarred and emaciated (she weighed 25 lbs when they found her, her healthy normal weight was like 50-55 lbs). My SIL had to move and couldn't take her dog with her...and we had just moved into our first house and wanted a scary sounding dog (pit) just for the protection factor. I wasnt really bonded with our dog at first...but over the past decade, weve been through so much. I feel like I just agreed to have my best friend killed. It's such a terrible f'd up feeling. Dont wish it on anyone.

And for the purposes of this thread... my dog would of sensed Anthony Precourts nervous, weird energy and hated him instantly. She was a good dog.

russ, Dr.Fever, Timon19 and 6 others repped this.
  17. TheesUhlmann

TheesUhlmann Red Card

Sep 16, 2018
    It was this dude, Sergio Tristan:

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-pancho-villas-army-mexicos-biggest-fan-group-u-s-235231292.html

The creator of the largest El Tri SG in the US, a lawyer, Iraq war veteran, and first-generation Mexican-American immigrant. To be more clear, his parents were born in Mexico but he was born in Texas.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a fine opinion to have. Is it a reason to foam at the mouth and scream about Mexico though like others have? People are acting like they have Chivas recruitment guidelines or something. They are playing to the market down there, not very subtly, and its a doomed strategy as the past has proven, but the sentiment that if you like MLS then you can only like the US is odd.

19. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I went through that a few years back and I know exactly what you're talking about. I had to make that decision and it was horrible. It was the right decision but it sucked hard. We got a new puppy a few months later because the house was just too damn empty, and I think our old dog would have wanted us to. We'll have to go through it again, but we're "dog people" and we feel the benefits far outweigh the end of life pain.

russ, Tobias C, Ch(Elsey) and 2 others repped this.
  20. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Austin FC is going to be known as El Tree, maybe FC Cincinnati can be The Gnats!

TKyle and DOGSO repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #321 Bill Archer, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    No desire here to try and get Kyle Crew to yank that big old stick out of his ass, but a) yes, it is very much an effort to try and make a point with the Mexican-aligned population, as is their almost pathetic insistence that their primary color is "verde". Unfortunately for them, their target audience is not nearly as stupid as they think, which they'd know already if they hadn't spent so much time trying to chase them off in Columbus.

And b) the so-called Pancho Villa's Army was formed not as an outpouring of love for the FFM but because that guy saw the money and perks flowing in to the American Outlaws leaders in Lincoln Nebraska and wanted to cash in for himself. In fact, the first thing he did was call up the same travel agency that AO uses and cut a similar deal for himself. Of course AO, being the charming bunch of devil may care "we're not here for the money" rascals they are, promptly sued Pancho's Army for stealing their gig.

Because they're all about the soccer.

So having established that the sole owner, proprietor and dictator of Pancho Villa's Army is in it for the money, the only question is what did he cost?

c) In passing, allow me to explain to those of you who spent your school days making Earth Day posters and learning about Kwanzaa that Pancho Villa was a thug, a thief and a loser who figured he could overthrow the Mexican government and when he got chased off he decided to invade the US.

He figured a small town in New Mexico called - get this - Columbus, would be the perfect place to start. So he and 600 lowlife criminals crossed the border and attacked what they thought was a defenseless city, only to get a total shellacking. How bad? The Americans lost fewer than 10 men, while Pancho left well over 100 dead on the field.

No word on whether Yul Brenner or Steve McQueen were there.

Running back to Mexico, pursued now by General John Black Jack Pershing with an operational commander named Col. George S Patton, they were hunted down like rabbits. At one point, Patton got into some trouble when, having attacked and wiped out an outpost while hunting down Villa himself, he strapped a dead Villaista to the hood of his car like a deer and drove back to his base.

Villa spent some months running and hiding and letting others do the fighting and dying until President Wilson decided he had better things for Pershing to do and sent him to France to fight the Kaiser.

Shows what happens when you try and wipe out Columbus.

TyphonInc, RafaLarios, russ and 10 others repped this.
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    shoplifter repped this.
  23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think you know my position there.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You mean they couldn't pick an even marginally successful anti-hero, like our local Serbs when they periodically call their O-30 teams "Gavrilo Princip"? (It's even better that almost no non-immigrants get it except for history teachers and those already in on the joke - it's actually quite an amusing troll job).

MLSinCleveland and Bill Archer repped this.
  25. mancity17

mancity17 Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Poor precourt!!!!!! “Super-bright!” What an elegant speaker....

Attached Files: