Offering to take a State Cup assignment in lieu of league game?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Flyer Fan, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I am currently scheduled for a local league game tonight, relatively higher level. In my e-mail inbox this morning I - along with others - received an e-mail message identifying an "urgent need" for a number of State Cup district games tonight. I think I understand the hierarchy of game assignments, but I'm wondering if offering to take one of the State Cup assignments, at the expense of an already-assigned league game, is acceptable or if it's poor form. I don't want to go back on a league assignment, but I wasn't sure if I should look at a different "protocol" since it's a State Cup game; I wouldn't even consider it if it were for another league.

Does anyone have any insight or recommendations? Thanks.

2. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look in your administrative handbook - you MUST accept the state cup games over the league games. They are #14 in priority - league competitions are not listed, and thus have no priority over them. Page 41. There is a "72 hour corollary," but that comes with an "emergency situation" caveat, and an urgent need would seem to qualify

3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I wasn't sure if that applied if I hadn't been assigned the game, though; it's just been offered.

4. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Offered is the same as being asked to take a game, IMO.

5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I went over this with our SRA a week ago, the admin handbook lays it out. the "youth" games that most of us will see are mentioned in this order:

Academy Games
    State Cup Games

After that they are all considered the same, though I don't know where pre-Academy sits.

As for offered/assigned, what did the email say, was it a blast to a bunch of refs asking if anyone can cover the game, or targetted at you?

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I seemed like more of a blast-type. I sent a message to the State Cup assignor explaining my situation, saying I'd take the game if offered, so we'll see what he says. I would prefer to take the State Cup game anyway.

I really appreciate the responses in this thread. Thanks so much.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not "offered=assigned," the handbook also says:

You could be offered an MLS match tonight and, technically, the handbook says you keep the league game. That being said, when amazing opportunities present themselves, most assignors are going to be understanding and you can get yourself released from the game.

And as for the original offered v. assigned debate, I don't think they are the same at all if it's a general call for a referee. If it's targeted directly to you, I think you reply with the circumstances: "I'm assigned X match, how badly do you need me?"

EDIT: I realize your original post says "urgent need"... I'll say now that if the email went to a large group of referees, I don't think that rises to the level of "emergency situation." Now, if the assignor comes back specifically to you and says he needs YOU... well, that changes things (and puts you in a bit of a bind for tonight!).

8. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Other than the administrative hierarchy correctly listed above, this has happened to me as well re:State Cup. Here is how I successfully handled it with everyone happy (or at least not mad at me) in the end:

Request from State Cup assignor to small set of referees to cover. I'm currently assigned to a lower level league that day/time. My response:

"Hey, XXX: I'm currently assigned for a YYY league game, assignor for YYY is ZZZ, if you really need me and can haggle with ZZZ to get coverage for me, I'm available."

XXX called ZZZ, they haggled and got coverage for me, did the State Cup game.

Your mileage might vary...

9. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    This is as far as I would go. Funny, I've never heard of the hierarchy of games before (probably because I've never read the administrative handbook). I don't feel any obligation to take games that have been blasted out, especially if I am busy already. However, if either (A) you are trying to break your way into State Cup matches or (B) the request is limited to a select few, I would send campbed's email out and let the assignors figure out coverage.

10. jkc313

jkc313 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Without reading any other comments I have to say that would be extremely poor form on your part. You have already accepted an assignment. You are honor bound to work that game unless for some reason you can't. Note I said can't not won't. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your regular league assignor but were I your assignor and you backed out of a game you accepted to work a higher level game and did so with less than 24 hour notice, you might be getting assigned U10 rec ARs for awhile. Also, the handbook has the 72 hour notification. I find it hard to believe any of you fellow referees think it's ok to drop an assignment the day of the game to take another, better game. The only way I'd find this acceptable is if you contacted your assignor, told him/her the dilemma and ask if he/she had a backup and if it was all right for you to take the State Cup game.

11. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a referee, if this sort of thing happens, and I'm approached directly, not via a blast-o-gram, I look for a replacement, THEN contact the league assignor with the proposed solution. I don't give the game to the other guy. I let the assignor make the call as to whether the other referee is acceptable, but I've done the legwork in finding a replacement.

Call the assignor. Give him the scoop. That Billy-Bob needs a body for this State Cup game and you know you've got a league match that conflicts, but if you can be released that'd be very cool, that you'd owe him your first-born and that you have found Cletus to cover if this is acceptable.

As an assignor, I'm happy to help the game as a whole. As long as my games are covered appropriately I could care less.

And by appropriately, I mean assignments are done based on grade, availability, aptitude and in the best interests of the game.

I wouldn't accept a grade 8 to do a D1 amateur middle, nor would I accept a grade 5 who just came off a hellacious game with multiple issues involving one of those teams, nor would I accept a referee who will see either of the two teams more than three times in a 12 game season.

Best advice I can give is, know thy assignor.

12. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    It's all moot now, but this is more-or-less the approach I took. I explained the assignment I had and said I'd like to help if the State Cup assignor would help me work it out with the league assignor. I just wanted to do what's best for everyone while not shooting myself in the foot for the future.

Again, thanks to all for your replies. I figured I'd get some good feedback in here.

13. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    I think that was a reasonable approach.