[OFF TOPIC] Headed to Amsterdam

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Sachin, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Hello all,

It looks like I will be in Amsterdam for about two days at the beginning of December (Ajax is off those days, I've already checked :( ). I was looking for advice on cheap, yet decent hotels, things to see, places to buy Ajax and Holland soccer scarves, etc.

Any advice to a first time Amsterdam visitor would be much appreciated.

Sachin

2. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I don't have any suggestions for hotels but whatever you do, make sure you get reservations if you wanna stay in Amsterdam. There is no vacancy in the entire city on most weekends. They just run out of rooms.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i would check www.hotels.com as they get special rates on some nice places

as for AJAX, they run a stadium tour (http://english.ajax.nl/show/id=119044) and i believe a tour of de tomkoest academy

btw, they host the classic with feyenoord on november 30th if you can arrive a couple days early

4. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    Ive been to Amsterdam twice and had some *#*#*#*#ing good laughs there. Advice? Check out the Red Light district, see a couple of shows, and sit back and have a smoke. I wouldnt bother with that Anne Frank house stuff, a long line but nothing to see. Maybe im just not cultured, but it seemed to me as if they had done the whole place up, added new floor boards and fixed it up so it looks modern. And when I went, at the end of the little tour there was a big screen playing eminem of all things, in the Anne Frank House! They have shroom cafe's as well!! A good laugh. We got an apartment for a couple of days for 180 euro's and it was really nice, on a street called wachtanbachstraat, dont know if thisinfo is any use, but it was only a 30 min walk from the city centre and a really nice place to stay!!

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sach,

I think you need to see the Anne Frank house, I found it quite moving and something I'm glad I saw (2000)

Heineken museum: I missed this, but wish I had seen it.

Cafe Victoria in Woerden (40 minutes away) - my buddy Erik runs the place. Bring your Panic scarf and get a free beer. Its a chick haven, loads of babes for you.

Check out the rest of the places, I'll ask my buddies for more info for you if you like. I've got quite a few friends over there, but mostly in Utrecht or Rotterdam areas.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am pretty sure ajax have a team store in the ArenA.

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Weitenbach straat. Near Oosterpark. Oosterpark hotel?

Anyway... the best scarves unfortunately would be in italy :D But you can always try the shop at arena.

And to do... well there's plenty to do. When exactly are you in town?

8. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    Thats the one, I could only remember the way it was pronounced, the Dutch language is so strange. When I was there I was trying to ask people directions back to Wietenbach straat but no one knew where it was because I was pronouncing it completely wrong. Yeah, it was near the Oosterpark and was a really nice are of town!!

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll be in town from the morning of Dec. 3 to the morning of Dec. 5. I will certainly do the Ajax tour. Hopefully they sell John O'Brien jerseys.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find a web site for that hotel.

Sachin

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    they do and the light blue away shirts from last season are on special for 44 euro IIRC (+ a few for the name)

btw on the 3rd, nearby volendam host FC twente

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    REALLY? I would love to go see a match there. How does one get there from Amsterdam and would showing up in a DC United shirt get my ass kicked?

Sachin

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1-bus 110 from amsterdam central station

http://www.fcvolendam.nl/index.htm

click info, then click route for map and such

2-not sure they'd know who united was, but i wouldn't suggest an AJAX shirt

13. RutgerB

RutgerB New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    occupied Dietsland
    To tell the truth, I wouldnt even wanted to go to that match if I was being payed for it... and you wont get your ass kicked for showing up in a DC united jersey, in a feyenoord shirt it could be a bit different but anyhow no one would know what DC United is.

14. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sach,

For a solid Internet overview, check out roughguides.com, which has full-text versions of their guides online (including restaurant recommendations etc.). For a rockin hard-copy travel guide, try Let's Go: Amsterdam. I'm biased b/c I was one of the authors of the first edition (2001).

I'd recommend the Ajax museum (adjacent to the ArenA) even to a non-fan. The Heineken Brouwerij is cheezy (but good if you're high). Warning: they no longer give free drinks to all visitors (many people remain under this impression, though the policy changed years ago--now you only get three smallish beers and a souvenir vaasje).

For food, try Indonesian (Bojo in Leidseplein is my favorite). The falafel rocks too--there is a great place right across from the Royal Palais off Niewezijds Voorburgwal. The only native cuisine worth trying during a brief visit is pannekoeken--Pannekoekhuis Upstairs, off Rokin, is my fave in the city.

As for nightlife, it changes constantly. This site has the latest:

http://www.amsterdamhotspots.nl/agenda.html

Where you stay depends on what you're looking for. Hostels, such as the Flying Pig, are a good option if you're not too particular about privacy or cleanliness. If you want something more upscale, there are a few good midlevel hotels in the Centrum--Hotel Kap (kaphotel.nl) and HOtel Asterisk (hotelasterisk.nl) are both both near enough to the action but relatively inexpensive. Fries is right--definitely make a reservation.

Finally, if you like good weed, I recommend Dampkring, near Kalverstraat. Their signature brand, "Dutch Moonshine", is excellent though if it's been a while since you've toked I'd start at a lower level or else you could end up too baked to function.

PM me if you want more detail. I am heading to A-dam for a few days next weekend (including to see the Ajax/AZ game). If I run across anything new and cool, I'll post again.

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah.. I get your point.. but I'm not about to turn my nose up at a chance to see live soccer after the MLS season ends.

Sachin.

16. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    Dampkring: Excellent place to chill and have a beer even if you don't partake in the product:
    http://www.channels.nl/amsterdam/dampkrin.html

Heineken Brewery is not a brewery anymore. Just a museum, and rather lame at that. I suggest you skip it and instead take the tour of the 't IJ Brewery, which operates under the only functioning windmill within Amsterdam (I think):
    http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/

My favorite restaurant is Wagamama simply because it's one of the few that doesn't permit smoking, and I'm somewhat smoke intolerant:
    http://www.wagamama.com/wayto/index.php?map=amst

Here are a couple of links on my site that might be useful to you:

Rendezvous in Amsterdam (there are a couple good hotel recommendations at the bottom of the page):
    http://www.ajax-usa.com/travel/2004.html

Getting to the Arena (with fanshop, Ajax museum, arena tours and soccerworld cafe, still a great visit w/o seeing a game):
    http://www.ajax-usa.com/travel/getting_to_arena.html

You might check to see if there's a Young Ajax game at De Toekomst during your visit.

And I would definitely make the effort to see Volendam host FC Twente. These smaller games are really great, especially if you don't get to see Dutch league games too often.

17. Oranje242

Oranje242 New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Canada
    Ajax gear

If you are looking for Ajax gear I think the best place is the Ajax Official Fan store on Kalverstraat. Pretty easy to find, just go to Dam Square and take Kalverstraat south about 2? blocks. It is on the right across from the megasports store PERRY. Good stuff in there, boxers to Official kits. Some of the Ajax kits even have the Champions League logo on the arm.

18. EasyStreet

EasyStreet New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Amsterdam is very cool yet very expensive city. Things I will recomend.
    Go to:
    Anne Frank and some of the other musems but get tickets in advance.
    Go to the Henikken Brewery, I think it cost around 5 euro and you get three free drinks and coll suvenoir. Try to take a cruise. Take the Circles tram aorund the city.
    In the night time check out RLD and Joordan.
    and most importanlty just have fun.

19. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In comparison to most European capitals we're quite cheap actually.

20. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    hotels--the owl hotel and the quentin england hotels are right next to vondel park--very close the riksmusem, the stenjak and van gogh musems as well. about a 5 minute or less walk to the ledisplan. you can book online for both.

i have stayed at both and they are cheap, clean and comfortable (btw--if you have never traveled in holland expect a small room by US standards). i can give you the name of a few others as well.

coffeeshops--
    you can find reviews of most of these on the web. a few that i like:

dutch flowers on the singel, very nice location, nice shop

easy times--just off the ledisplan--reggae bar and coffeehouse, full bar, good music

internet coffeeshop--next door to easy times and a good full bar. quieter atmosphere.

grey area--just off the singel--probably the most "americanized" coffeeshop

picasso--one of my favorite coffeeshops, i forget the street, it is right at the end of the singel.

strongly recommend the trip to volendamn

as AFCA says, amsterdam is pretty cheap by big city standards. there are tons of great places to eat--try a rice-table at an indonesian spot, it is great.

you absolutely must hang out in a "brown cafe", it is great.

21. bubbaloo

bubbaloo New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    hotels

I reserved a room when I visited on a weekend in April because I afraid of not finding a room when I arrived, it turned out to be a shite hotel(Ibis), cramped and expensive.By N american standards a 1 star at 5 star prices.

I returned to Amsterdam the next weekend and just had the tourist info people at the airport phone around the mayor hotels at Schipol and got a great 5 Star hotel(I belive it was a Ramada) at the same price as the Ibis. Every day there are cancellations at all the hotels and they book cheap just to stay full, you just have to have the balls to do it(phone early in the morning). Schipol is only a short train ride from the city center and is a breeze to do.

Tickets for a match don't leave to the last moment if you can book from where you are do it. It can be difficult or impossible to buy tickets there as there is carding system in place in which preference is given to fans for ticket purchase. The bigger the match or club the more difficult to find tickets. I went to a FC Utrecht match and it wasn't easy to secure tickets.

22. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    Not looking to be contrarian, but I have to take issue with a couple of points here:
    Which Ibis? There are 3 that I know of, and the Ibis Stopera (near Waterlooplein) is one of the nicer hotels I've used in Amsterdam. Reasonably priced, small but nice rooms, excellent service. 3.5 star (upper tourist class).
    For me, there's no substitute for being able to walk from your hotel into the sights of the city. I prefer to pay more, and accept a bit less modern comfort, to be able to stay in the city center.
    I don't know about FC Utrecht, but what you say is no longer true for Ajax home games. The simple fact is, anyone can get tickets, legally, to almost any Ajax game in the ArenA.

As of the 2000-2001 season, most Ajax home games are now in the 'low risk' C category, and you do not need a Club Card to buy a ticket for those games. They're available to anyone with cash at presale locations and on match day at the stadium box office.

Full explanation of the current ticketing situation is available here: http://www.ajax-usa.com/tickets/

23. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am headed to Amsterdam the 25th of Nov to 1 Dec. I want to go to the Game with Feyenoord. Not to put too fine a point on it, but is it safe to take a woman to the game woth you at the ArenA? I have followed Ajax since they had a guy named Cruyff and I am dieing to go, but I need to know if I can take her safely too. Thanks. Please understand that all she has heard of European soccer is the bad things they show on US TV. Thanks in advance.

24. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    You are fine, so long as you don't wear a Feyenoord scarf or do any other similarly silly thing. I've been to The Classic at the Arena; it's excellent and completely safe.

However, this game sold out 30 minutes into the presale, so tickets might be tough to come by. Not impossible, but tough. I suggest you read this page carefully:

http://www.ajax-usa.com/tickets/impossible.html

25. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked at your website and I used the link to the Ajax travel folks. They are listing a package on the web site, so I have booked for 2 and I'm hoping they are still available. Your site looks great, BTW. Thanks again.