Off-season 2019-2020

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Jon Martin, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    agreed, essentially. I'd spend like 3-500k on a cb, and 5 or 6 on a striker, and let caicedo earn the dm role. I think he has it in him.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention another ex-Rev, Christian Nemeth. I always thought he could have been a good player for us, but it just wasn't meant to be...

4. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to admit, reading that article, I was thinking it might be worth seeing if he'd be interested in coming back.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article was only up for a few seconds before a pop-up blocked it, saying I had reached my article limit, but I did catch the sub-headline that the new facility was "better than some in Europe."

Not to nitpick, but I would venture a guess that even the Revs' old facility, and even the lesser training facilities around MLS are better than a lot of European clubs. Sure, the top teams (Champions League and top-half Europa League) have top-rate facilities, but MLS on average has much better infrastructure and facilities than most of the teams around the world.

MLS has ambitions of being one of the top leagues in the world, and aside from the top 5, I can easily see this happening over the next several years. Facilities like this, combined with a good lifestyle (and actually getting paid on time for the amount your contract says) will continue to be a factor that will attract good players and play will steadily improve.

7. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    After unveiling their $35-million state of the art practice facility on Monday, the Revs are hoping to prove they’re worthy of attracting high-end talent, which could in turn lead to eyeballs and dollars from a region that’s spoiled for choice when it comes to sporting entertainment.

Bilello, speaking to the Herald by phone after Monday’s event, further added to the growing expectations: the Revs plan to increase their payroll again in 2020 and have been assured that money will be available to do so.

“Yes, it’s something we’re actively working on right now,” Bilello said.
    ------------------------
    There’s no scout based in Europe yet, but they do have one focused on South and Central America.

It all adds up to a soccer team that’s growing, not subtracting, and finally investing in a way that should have fans excited, whether or not that new stadium in Boston ever gets here.

“It’s still the No. 1 priority off the field,” Bilello said. “We don’t have anything to report on it now but it’s a priority for the club and something we continue to work on.”

If i take a card on that for the tactical foul my bad but i got u ;)

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The article mentioned that attendance dropped %9 last season from the previous season. I think that's mostly because of the schedule - with too many early season, poor weather-likely games and very few fall home games, which has always been the Revs biggest time.

And, the 'tale of two coaches' really accentuated that, with too many early Friedel home games (with low enthusiasm, energy) and too few fall Arena home games (with high expectations, excitement).

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Revs come storming out of the gate i'd suspect we see an increase in attendance this year. I am actually planing to make a few games this year for the first time in 3 years.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For less than $6.5 million, I presume....

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else starting to worry just a tiny bit at the lack of moves by the Revs?

Cannons, rkane1226 and A Casual Fan repped this.
  13. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everybody's expectations are a little too high. In the last year, the Revs have signed Gil, Bou, and Buttner. I'm hoping for 1 more, a DM, but that is probably pushing it at this stage. I mean what do you want, we have 21 players on the roster at the present time. The Revs with 21 players during the off-season, what is the world coming to!! :)

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still need help at CB, and the biggest need is actually a true #9.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowe and Buttner is a good start to the off-season. More than anything Burns had ever accomplished by Dec 12th. More to be done, for sure.

firstshirt repped this.
  16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. But everyone is so happy... afraid to point it out for fear of being negative.

20. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. In Bruce I trust.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not so worried about high-level moves, but I'd have thought we'd have lined up a couple of mid-level additions (I guess Rowe counts there). But, maybe it will hinge on what we get out of the draft.

I know people poo-poo the draft, but we can get some good players where we're picking in the 1st round (and fill out Revs II with 2nd round picks).

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for once i'd have to say no. I am going to throw on my rose color glasses and channel my inner SoccerDoc and say they will announce two more signings in the next 45 days (not including draft picks) that will be starting caliber players

ToMhIlL repped this.
  23. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe a tiny bit. But that article in The Athletic made it sound like they've got a target they're negotiating with DP-wise, which helps. ("They’ve already identified another potential DP and hope to sign the target to a multi-million dollar deal this winter, per sources.") Bruce gets a lot more rope in his first offseason with us than pretty much any other head coach in any other situation.

A Casual Fan and rkupp repped this.
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Not a subscriber there, so hadn't heard that.

25. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a thin reed, and I'd feel better with a name or two in the rumor mill. But again, I'll give Bruce the benefit of the doubt right now.