Off-season 2019-2020

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Jon Martin, Oct 19, 2019.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that but that money was just reported with thier release a day or so ago. Buttner was first reported as being signed oct 16th.

4. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Revs II (
    Perhaps. He was a first round pick in 2018. And Cropper's gone.
    Safe to say he's Revs II likely starting keeper. I suspect the closest he'll get to first team action is sitting on the bench if Turner is hurt.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That news makes this a lot easier to swallow. Hopefully he's healthy next season and able to prove his worth.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Re: BWP - I think that's about money. Yes, he's an injury risk, so I'm guessing they weren't willing to offer the kind of money he was looking for. At the right price ...

Re: Mancienne and plantar fasciitis: I have a history with that and it is a totally preventable injury. It really shouldn't be happening to professional athletes. Maybe it happened because other injuries were preventing him from getting full conditioning, but ...

I was once plagued by that, but ever since I started doing yoga, gone (along with calf strains, hamstring pulls, etc.).

8. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and maybe Bruce sees something in him that will show once he gets all the right guys on the back line. So far, for me though, he's been a bust. But, in Bruce I trust!

9. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I thought Mancienne was much better under Arena than he was under Friedel.

10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think I agree with that

I also dont think better than he was under Freidel is a very high bar to clear

Mike Marshall, Feldspar and pwykes repped this.
  11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say that about literally every single player on the team.

I was surprised they took him back, even at a "discount," which would still make him one of the higher paid players on the team. Arena must have seen enough in him to keep him around. I was thinking that Buitner was his replacement (especially since his Twitter handle is #28, and he would take his number).

That gave me the ol "raised eyebrows," but I guess I will trust Arena on this way, way, more than I would have trusted the people who previously would have made these kinds of decisions.

TOAzer and Crooked repped this.
  12. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be a simple matter of priorities and Buttner seemed to be the highest. I think we need to shore up the defensive midfield, which might provide Mancienne/Farrell with additional support. With that said, my expectation is that a player making that much money is projected as a starter.

More defensive thoughts:

Bye is still an unfinished product, and we'll probably need an experienced reserve to push him.

We've never signed a homegrown defender.

pwykes repped this.
  13. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Still about 300K too much IMO. I have no use for him at all

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's still over $1M for 3 centerbacks (Mancienne, Delamea and Farrell). So one has to sit, unless Bruce moves Farrell back to RB.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: At the top of the shopping list for each MLS team
    November 29, 2019
    10:23AM EST
    Matthew Doyle

New England:
    Doyle's suggestion:

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    - isn't Buttner a left back, mainly? I assume he's the Castillo replacement.

- interesting to think about what Fagundez could bring in a trade. Would probably have to be someone in a similar situation - i.e., needing a change of scenery to reach their potential - or a draft pick or allocation money - the global currency of MLS.

- also curious that Doyle brings up the 'trust' issue with Caicedo - it seems like he's a lot more reliable than Zahibo (or Caldwell) have been. Yes, it's a mystery that he didn't start in the playoff game, but Arena trusted him up until then - and he hadn't made any huge blunders or been someone to worry about. If I had to guess (which I'm assuming Doyle is doing), I figure he was probably less than %100 with some knock.

- as for Mancienne, he can look very good at times and bad at others. He hasn't really put together any real solid stretch of play. I wonder if there's any possibility of him playing dmid, since he's slighter and more agile than your typical central defender.

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stage 2 tomorrow at 11am of the Re-Entry process. Historically there has been a lot more movement on this day around the league. Final list of players available will come out at 10am tomorrow. Revs pick 11th. Be interesting to see if they choose someone. Preliminary list of players have a few interesting guys listed

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #143 firstshirt, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Traditionally he has been a left back. I took that signing as Castillo's replacement, maybe to help groom Jones in the process. As for Diego I would not be surprised if he is traded for a defender, TAM or GAM. The team lacks depth in the back and he is a known producer in the league and still young.

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I've been wondering about this since Büttner surfaced - wondering if Büttner was going to play dmid with Jones at left back. I admit that Mancienne at dmid with Büttner at left back is more Arena-like though. I kind of like that idea assuming that Mancienne actually has the soccer brain that he was hired for. The thing that Mancienne may have that Caicedo has been missing is the ability to see 2-3 steps ahead.

20. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we've seen Mancienne demonstrate an ability to see 2-3 steps ahead as a defender...

firstshirt, tsb11 and Feldspar repped this.
  21. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    When I see him play I always feel like he is 1-2 steps behind...

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most of the time I thought his defending was more like
    [​IMG]

rkane1226 repped this.
  23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do the Revs go after an attacking player today? Maybe a defensive depth? or pass? Some players that I think could be good depth players or push for starting time: BWP, Plata, Ibarra,Guzman, Opare, Jakovic, Schuller, Powers, Cabezas(if healthy) .

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMFAO

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Slight correction - the list of available players is released at 11am, the draft is at 3pm.

I think we'll see Agudelo picked, if he remains on the list.
    DM is a very different mentality than CD. At DM, you're looking to prevent things from developing into dangerous situations, at CD you always have to be thinking as a last man. And, with today's emphasis on playing the offside game, leading the offside trap and managing the back line's offside line is a huge responsibility. Without that at DM, a player is a lot freer to anticipate, take chances, be more aggressive, make attacking runs, etc. I have no idea whether Mancienne's mentality is well suited to that or not, but I do think he has good size/agility/speed for the position.

Anyone know if he's ever played midfield before?