ODP.....Yes !!

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by jeremys_dad, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Our son thoroughly enjoyed trials and callback at ODP. He remarked how getting to play with others who were so talented and fast was fun and vastly helped his game. As far as how he did..... Were still waiting to hear and there is another trial for callbacks in the near future, where six were swapped out last year. He was as fast as anyone for ten paces but then got smoked. He got moved to L back and did good. Got forward for a few goals and five assist. One night he said "I had a good game. "Just to hear those words uttered is a big deal for us. He's his own harshest critic and this has been a long time coming. All because of such great kids and coaches in our regional ODP program. Those coaches and administrators have provided an invaluable service for these players.

His excited animated descriptions of some of these uberplayers patented moves were fun to listen about and which left him astounded. Many were returning National team players. Everyone had a great attitude.

If you live in the wrong place, there's compelling evidence in my eyes that it's worth relocating or becoming an exchange student to get your player to play with other amazing talent. J said he was certain he would be better if he got to work with that ODP crew. Making runs and actually getting the 1-2's was huge

ODP's lasting impression on our son and his making new friends makes me a supporter. Even if he doesn't go on, this is a win/win situation

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Glad he had a good experience.

3. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am glad that ODP was fun for your son. My son had a great experience at the Region IV camp this summer. He traveled with two other soccer friends and loved playing with boys he never would have if not for the camp. As expected, the SoCal boys were the best players, however he more than held his own. He got a great evaluation from the coaches and was selected as a starter on their "All Stars". As he is now in the DA, that is as far as he is allowed to go with ODP. But well worth it, even for this one time.

4. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Can't afford to move, can't afford academy or any top club teams, trying ODP again. In our state, they don't care who does well, they ignore previous ODP performance and coach recommendations.

Wish him luck getting back on ODP, after being cut the year after he was the leading goalscorer, took all the free kicks, and was the only one to compete with powerhouse state players with well-developed ODP programs.

Our state has tryouts this week, but the players picked don't even see each other until February. After that, they only see each other in April for final pool tryouts. The next state had tryouts during the regional camp (because those players will be automatically invited back) and then have final tryouts then start practicing weekly in October. By February, when our state sees them in the Virginia friendlies, their teams have practiced together more than ten times, and our teams meet each other at the Virginia friendlies, AND know that half the team will be gone by final pool selection.

Talk about YMMV - state ODP programs range from wonderful to ridiculous. All the state ODP programs look the same on the resume though.

5. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This was at Region One

...He also said no one was fouling!