ODP VS Academy

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by socafan, Jul 15, 2009.

1. so1mio

so1mio Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As I've always said DA is a f**king scam. It's all about money. Maybe they did have good intentions but at the end of the day, money was the final factor. Trust me.

2. Teletubby

Teletubby Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Not sure why its more a scam than the system before. There are a number of clubs that are free and others that are as expensive as they have been. I know it is the wish of US Soccer to make them all more affordable , if not free.
    Bottom line though is, the system is here for the foreseeable future.
    Did speak with a DOC on the West Coast of late and looks like a Fall schedule is the next step for the Academy clubs. My guess is the same will be true in Texas and the East Coast very soon.

3. Mirzam

Mirzam Member

Jan 21, 2010
    @Dick's
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The whole of the US pay to play system could be termed a scam, but its all we have to work with. Personally, I see ODP as quite a money making exercise also. My son is too young to participate, but he is in the Young Olympians program, a precursor for ODP, and it is very expensive for a 1.5 hour a week training session. Many (most) of the boys are mediocre skills wise so the training is quite basic, but at least its touches on the ball. My son gets much more out of a weekly FREE elite training from his (MLS) club which is also offered to "elite" boys at other clubs, at no cost. One of the points of the elite training is to offer a high level of technical training to potential DA players. Our DA is not free, but the club is working towards that goal.

4. soccerdad1963

soccerdad1963 New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    SE USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son (95) has had the opportunity to experience both (albeit limited on the DA side) but in my opinion the DA system wins out. we come from a small state in Region III and 2 years ago after playing in Pool games everynight he was not heldover. had a R3 coach tell me flat out that the large states get proportionate representation (i.e. the states that send multiple teams with their $$$$ are going to get the holdovers) fortunately he was was able to get some guest playing with an MLS DA and saw the light. Still played USYSA this season with an out of state team playing in a Regional League but will move halfway across the country this summer to play with a DA this fall (non MLS) no axe to grind against ODP but DA's are the future for the top players

5. midsouthsoccer

Mar 3, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer I was curious about something, and take this as a legitimate question because it is.

If your son has to move 'halfway across the country' to play on a DA doesn't that indicate something ain't right? Or as a dad that does not have a kid that age can you explain the why?

6. soccerdad1963

soccerdad1963 New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    SE USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair question..I have multiple DA's 3 hours drive time, just was fortunate to have extended family in the area he will move to that makes a move like this financially possible. For the record, after my initial enthusiam over DA's and the concept, it appears the same concerns (too much emphasis on winning over training) is starting to rear its head in the DA's as well. so bottom line not a question of "having to" I should have rephrased that more accurately. Also in the one major DA tournament I attended, I saw more college coaches at one match than I saw in two summers at Regional ODP camp..just saying. If you live in or near (1-2 hours) the "major soccer center" of your respective state I think ODP would be a good ancillary program to club so while I am not anti ODP I have to lean Pro DA..but in the end you have to swallow and accept the "pay to play" model if and until you can migrate to a sponsored program ..nature of the beast

7. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think you hit it on the head. DA programs are not as interested in "home grown players" as they are in "bringing in talent", both from underserved areas of the US and from international sources.

Looking at the local MLS team's DA, about a third are international, and only a third are within an hour of the main practice field. And we are near NYC!

My state's public schools are excellent, so we wouldn't move my son out for HS. If he does get a chance at international trials, we would let him quit HS if there seemed to be potential there (or work on getting him to complete it online in the off-season). But honestly, I can't ever imagine being recruited from 1,000 miles away just to play in the US in a newbie program of dubious quality.

Then again, I am a little confused as the DA program recruiting cannot start until after the DA season is over. The local DA programs say that they can only start recruiting in May, and then only players currently on club teams. You must have serious connections.

8. soccerdad1963

soccerdad1963 New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    SE USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not really... but you did bring up an important point, where we are from, the public schools rank at or near the bottom in almost every conceivable category so education was also a factor in the decision to transplant him. We have no illusions about DA, he understands fully well that you play "at will" for the club and you can be demoted as fast as you are promoted..the key thing that still makes me pro-DA is the training and the restriction on games, we are coming off a USYSA tourney where we played 4 games in 30 hours and he is gimpy and exhausted, how much development do you get when you show up for games barely able to run in 90 degree heat

9. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That makes me feel better :) There are a few states we would like to move to because it is too cold up here, but we have to wait until our kids are out of HS because both special education (one of my children) and gifted education is very good here.

Good luck to your son, Skype often :)

10. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
  11. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My son is attending the Region 1 ODP Tournament this weekend. I have to say the quality of the boys games (97 and 98) seems low top ten club team at best. Certainly not near the quality of a #1 or #2 in the age group.

There have been complaints about the field and ref quality, but I wonder if avoiding turf fields is realizing that most games will not be on turf fields for real competition due to cost, so they skimp from the beginning of the process.

I will see if what the Region III parent says is correct, as my son is doing well for his state team, certainly top three, and we are in a "big" soccer state that had 11 players from the state last year.

socccerdad1963, make sure to read the article series on Top Drawer about the soccer mom "doing all she can" for her son. It's rather interesting, but people are rather varied on their responses to her and the story:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club...nid-19940/American-System-Part-I-Is-it-Broken