ODP National Championships - Mar 14-16, Plano, TX

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by SueB, Feb 25, 2003.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The championship results:

'85 Boys - Eastern Penn 2 Cal South 1
    '85 Girls - Illinois 1 New Jersey 0
    '87 Boys - Cal South 4 Florida 1
    '87 Girls - Cal South 2 Maryland 1

Cal South sweeps the U16 end of things while Eastern Penn scores in injury time to beat the Cal South U18 boys.

adidas Golden Boot and Golden Glove winners:

'85 Boys - Will Nicholas (Eastern Penn), Jason Landers (Eastern Penn)
    '85 Girls - Brittany Bock (Illinois), Julie Ryder (Illinois)
    '87 Boys - Salvatorre Izzo (Cal South), Chris Seitz (Cal South)
    '87 Girls - Amy Rodriguez (Cal South), Julie Kafka (Maryland)

Golden Glove winners:

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any word on what Landers' plans are? Is he gonna go try another European team in a country where it will be easier to get a work permit? Try MLS? College? If so, where?

He sounds like a real prospect, especially since he's supposed to be like 6-5.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I partially answered my own question. Landers is only in 11th grade so if he doesn't go pro, he's still got a year to go before picking a college.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/high_school/pennsylvania/4337860.htm

Same article says he's 6-6. Man, that's tall. It's a sign of the progress soccer is making that we aren't losing an athlete like that to hoops.

Sounds from that article like he's really set on going pro. Seems a shame he has to toil in HS for another year and change.

Seems like a perfect candidate for P40; anyone know if there has been dialogue with or interest in MLS?

4. KR

KR New Member

Jan 5, 2000
    I am happy to hear that Landers has snapped back to form. He had a poor outing at Cocoa ODP inter-regionals and was left off the 85 national pool and the Brazil trip for the 85's. I haven't heard where he plans on going to college in 2004. Too bad that the Manchester City deal fell through. He certainly would have been an asset there. The training in England would have beat anything in PA.

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    GKs don't seem to be hurt at all by staying in college. There's low demand for them in MLS, and being non-EU limits their opportunities in Europe. German teams rarely sign foreign keepers, not sure about the other leagues-----Holland may be interested, but they're really picky about what kind of footskills a GK has.

If Manchester United were interested, they could work a deal with Royal Antwerp where he could play in Belgium for 3 years before receiving his EU passport....hell, if he had some videos, he could just send tapes to the Belgium clubs themselves. There are people around these parts who know much more about the Holland/Belgium situation than I.....

However, then it comes back to college not really hurting him long term, especially when keeper keep going well into their thirties...sometimes right up 38,39 years old.