Oddest USMNT career?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think he played that WC match with a badly sprained knee.To give some idea of our depth then, if you had a bad injury like Cle, they gave you an ice bag, said good luck and sent you out to play.

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000

I thought Chung supposedly retired from international play after that first game for Arena. I've seen that said in a few places. There were a few times he could have been used in the last qualifying cycle, but I think wasn't called up because he requested not to be... With some of the caps Arena has given out, I'd have a hard time believing that Bruce didn't want to play him more had he not retired...

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    agreed.Chung is a mirror to Henderson.Both quite fine players-durable too.

4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wouldn't shock me, he became a player agent at the start of MLS and was always an outspoken supporter of players rights and higher salaries, so it makes sense he was involved with the Union. And even though I was a munchkin at the time I remeber it being an odd cut, (along with Brian Quinn's).

Also didn't he play in Italia 90?

5. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all this Mike Burns talk has actually put a smile on my face (and that may be a first for MB :D). why? i realized that as bad as things may get for the US at WC 06, they won't have Mike Burns on the pitch. and you've got to appreciate that.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes, he started all three games for the US, played all 270 minutes. Only Harkes, Ramos, Vermes, Windischmann and Meola also played all 270 minutes in Italy.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    One more.

David Vanole –

Debuted for the national team in 1986, shortly after leading UCLA to its first NCAA title in 85. Starts for the US in all the qualifiers for the Seoul Olympics in 1988 and all three matches at the Olympics. (At the time, that was the full national team, but those games aren’t counted as full caps now, they’re counted as “Olympic caps” which are different even though for the 88 games it was the full national team.) He goes 5-1 in qualifiers, giving up 6 goals with two shutouts and 0-1-2 in Seoul and posts a shutout of South Korea and holds Argentina to one goal before getting shelled by the Soviets, who went on to win gold, 4-2.

Between July of 88 and June of 89, he starts five of the first six qualifiers for Italia 90 (Jeff Duback started the other, an 0-1 loss to Costa Rica), going 3-0-2 and allowing three goals with two shutouts.

But despite being UNDEFEATED in qualifying and having a 0.60 GAA, he loses his starting spot to a young kid named Tony Meola. After manning the nets for the US in a 2-1 qualifying win over Guatemala in June of 89, Vanole only got two more caps, both that summer.

He made the WC team, as Meola’s backup and, presumably, ahead of another young college kid named Kasey Keller, but didn’t play. He finished with 14 caps, not counting the Olympic qualifiers and matches.

I didn’t follow the US closely back then – it was kinda hard to do so since there wasn’t much info out there on the team – so I don’t know what he did to get benched.

While it was no secret Meola was an up-and-comer – in the fall of 89, as a redshirt sophomore, he led UVa to its first NCAA title and won the MAC and Hermann Awards – who was probably better (he went 2-0-2) with 4 shutouts in his qualifiers, how often does a GK who is undefeated in qualifying and has that low a GAA get benched.

That’s what is odd about Vanole’s national team career. It seemed to end at its apex and with him being in top form. Usually guys just peter out or get dropped for poor form. And, it wasn’t like Vanole was a chemistry problem as Gansler still kept him on the squad.

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Chung was the player that Wynalda fought with during a Bora training camp. Bora sent Wynalda home and onward to Germany where he scored liked 7 goals in 8 games.

9. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 1990 WCQing, the US, with Vanole in the nets, gave up a late goal to Hudson Charles in the first leg of the series with T&T allowing the islanders to gain a valuable point in a 1-1 draw played at Torrance, California. David only played one more WCQing game after that, a 2-1 win over Guatemala.
    Tony Meola took over after that, with four games left in the last qualifying round, and the US did not give up another goal in those four games including the famous 1-0 over T&T in the last game.
    Wasn't DV pretty involved in beach soccer, down in SoCal, after that? (Not kidding.)?

10. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The late T&T goal in Torrance was the fault of Steve Trittschuh, who didnt mark Hudson...

DV will always be a favorite for saving a penalty against Montero of Costa Rica in Fenton, Mo in '89. Tab Ramos scored the winning goal (1-0 final score)

11. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Not that it was the greatest PK in the world.... kinda makes me think of Armas at the Gold Cup...

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

He also was involved (I guess) daily at your all-you-can -eat lunch buffett

(edit - 1988 was probably when I really started following the Nats in earnest. I remember Newsday would run a full page story on the US team in Seoul. Just to show you what positive press can do)

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Given our next WCQ match, might be a good time to mention ol' Martin Vasquez...

14. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Great thread, but at risk of a hijiack I have to stand up for Mike Burns. We weren't beating Germany that day (given Sampson's roster/coaching) no matter what, and he was sturdy throughout his career. Unremarkable? Yes. Would he make today's squad? No. But he left everything he had on the field and played hurt often.

15. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, for the US, Montero shot straight at DV. :eek: But, yeah, a PK save is always a GREAT PK save!! :) And the points the US got that day helped them get to Italy '90.

16. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    What about Roy Lassiter ?

Star in college, goes to play in Costa Rica, and then appears in MLS in 1996 - leads the league in scoring. Puts in some good appearances in '98 qualifying, but he was 'limited'.

I remember there being a story where he had committed some sort of crime in college, or something, and had to face the music when he came back to the US .. anyone remember that ?

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yes, felony theft, from when he was in colllege.I think he worked out a plea so he did not do jail time.This one was not a rumor but a fact that was widely reported at the time-Bruce

18. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And led to the chant heard throughout MLS supporters section - "Where's my TV, Roy Lassiter?"

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....A bit dissapointing that I'm only officially credited with two caps as I actually played six times (missed the game in Belgium due to a turned ankle) but as the other four were against Poland u23's (in Warsaw) Germany u23's (in Duisburg) Lazio ( in Rome) and some Italian serie B team the USSFA (as it was then) didn't count them as "full" internationals.....funny as hell though that I was selected....I guess they never bothered to check if I was eligible...it was only when the paperwork caught up with FIFA that the USSFA found out....although they might have started to get a clue when, upon returning to the States, resplendent in my USSFA blazer and having represented the USA, the INS detained me for three hours.....as my visa had expired.

20. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    wow, england66 is lucky it wasn't now...

i had a friend who got a visa to go to belarus....got there, and the hotel he named as his place of residence didn't exist....

well, you can imagine the difficulty getting out of belarus, considering it's as authoritarian as soviet days...

21. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    LOL!! That's hilarious! So did you know the whole time that you were ineligible to play for the US, and just didn't bother to tell the USSF? That would be too funny! :D

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, you rank as one of the oddest! Congrats!This thread definitely needs you Mike!

23. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    What about Peter Woodring..played 3rd division for Wiesbaden, then all of a sudden he's running around for Hamburg,,then he makes an appearance or two against some team and Russia I think, and boom he disapears into soccer wasteland

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    before the modern era ( 1994) the biggest name in US Youth Nats was..... Jason Moore.Remember him? He was Freddy Adu in the early 90s.He was the big star on a good Olympic team at 16! Was injured, never developed... or both.

25. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    moore i believe completely lost his skill after his injury. one of the worst examples of that i've ever seen ... in any sport.