Oddest USMNT career?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bruce S, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

The following week, Sampson actually called up Michael Mason's twin brother, Marco. Marco Mason probably never made it through training camp. I believed he was playing in the lower division in Germany.

2. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    And wasn't he MVP of MLS at like 40?!?

Meola is another one. Left the MNT for many years, acted, played for the Jets then came back and was on the 2002 WC roster.

3. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Keep in mind that we only played the 3-6-1 for 60 minutes against Germany and then scrapped it and went 3-5-2 for the rest of that game, the Iran game and the Yugo game. Sampson's most underrated and forgotten mistake was changing the entire lineup around for the Iran game in an apparent panic, even using Ramos and Joe-Max as d-mids. It was Ramos who was injured at the time who got burned on the first Iran goal.

We still would have won if we finished a few of our early chances by Wegerle. I could go on about this disaster forever.

4. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I don't disagree with your point. Wegerle should not have been on the 1998 WC team.

But to be fair, he only played in 3 qualifiers, scoring the 2 goals against Canada. I wouldn't call them meaningless. The 1st one made in 2-0 and sealed our qualification to the WC. The other games he played in were the 0-0 tie at Mexico and the 1-0 win vs. Costa Rica.

And at the risk of sounding like I'm missing the point, it was only a 7 game scoreless streak!!!

http://www.sams-army.com/index.php?Mlist=player&Pid=20

5. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Wow!!!

Wasn't Frank(?) Klopas the only person to play in both NASL and MLS?

6. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Roy Wegerle played in the NASL and MLS. He played MISL too.

7. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Meaningless is probably too strong a word, but how about "mostly meaningless?" :) They were late-game insurance goals against an opponent who had given up (and had no offense, anyway), in a game that wasn't a must-win.

My source was soccerhall.org, which lists him as having appeared in these seven games, plus the Austria friendly. (I checked another source, and Wegerle did play, but only as a late sub.)

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Hugo Sanchez

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching Snyder in the CISL. For a long time I thought he was the best defender in the league, and in 1996 he could have started at center back for most of the teams in MLS.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Klopas didn't actually play in the NASL. He was on the Sting's roster but never played for them outdoors. He played indoor, but I don't remember if that was the MISL or when the NASL played outdoors.

Wegerle and Sanchez are the only ones to actually play in both.

11. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    Even for the Tampa Bay Mutiny and the Miami Fusion?

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    After the World Cup in 94, I got MAJOR soccer withdrawl so I bought season tix to my local CISL team, the Washington Warthogs.

The team's star defender was Troy Snyder and he was a very good indoor player.

Also on that team were Dante Washington and Eric Eichmann, who was on the 90 WC team.

Speaking of the CISL and germain to this thread, the 95 CISL Rookie of the Year was Mark Chung, who definitely had an odd national team career.

The guy has 24 caps but 22 of them came before he ever played pro soccer, as he was in residency. Bora apparently was high on him, just not high enough on him to put him on the WC team.

But since he turned pro, and has been a very good one, he's gotten all of two caps, one each from Steve Sampson and one from Arena, in Bruce's first game as national team coach.

When you think of all the players to be capped more than twice under SS and Bruce, combined, it's kinda amazing a guy whose been as good at the club level as Chung isn't one of them.

13. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Nice catch. I had forgotten about the acting and placekicking--although I don't think Meola ever made it into an official game, did he?

14. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he made it to the roster out of training camp.

15. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab Ramos was drafted by the NASL, but I believe they folded before he could play.

16. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
  17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Man that guy has an interesting name. Look it up at http://dict.leo.org/ - no wonder he probably emigrated to the United States.

18. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Woah, that's why he was cut?! Dayum! And here 's me thinking he was hard done by.

19. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    I heard it was Mike Burns' wife.

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Aldo Teo "Buff" Donelli was also an interesting player. He had the most lethal strike rate in U.S. Soccer history. He played for the US twice netting 5 goals. He was the first player in US history to score 4 goals in a game. After WC 1934, he was offered a contract with Lazio, but, instead, he went to become an American football(as in gridiron)coach.

Among the records he held in American football:

-- lost only 4 games in his career while coaching 4 years at Duquesne University.

-- first coach to coach professional and NCAA football at the same time.

-- last coach to lead Columbia to an Ivy League title. When I was in college, Columbia was known as the worst football team in America.

link2

link

--

21. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Sorry, I've since read the entire thread and see that this has been covered in detail.

22. slowbutsure

slowbutsure New Member

May 1, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Rep! :D

23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably.

I'd guess he slipped it in near post.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    When I have rep to give out again, I'm giving it here.

(Walks away mumbling and shaking his head, still bitter about the Germany game... "fu(kin' Mike Burns.." )

25. Granitza78

Granitza78 Member

Aug 13, 2003
    So. Fla
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call.

Played for LA Lasers of MISL, Atlas in Mexico. Later plays for Miami Fusion.

STARTED fullback in USA WC'94 and made by my count 8 passes - 7 of which went directly to Swiss players!

Next game against Columbia - FERNANDO CLAVIJO Starts! Cle Benched by BORA FOREVER!!!

Cle never wears the USA kit again!