Pre-match: October 2018 Friendlies (USA - FL & Costa Rica - NJ)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by pepinointer, Sep 27, 2018.

1. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol @crzdcolombian saying our offense sucks. We scored 7 goals in 2 matches. This isn't FIFA bro, we are not gonna score 6 a game

Doogs, jay luis and pepinointer repped this.
  2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yea but he was clinical before. Now his speed kills counters and takes him too many shots to score.

We would have lost without Ospina. Again Falcao is just too ineffective up top. We waste too many chances or doesn’t get to it because of his speed. For all the hate Bacca is gettfing( I gave a lot of it) he has been the better striker and done more for the team. As for maybe those were half chances what about Baccas goal.... he pulled that out of his ass.

So he can’t score or play in a 1 striker formation and he can’t play in a 2 striker formation. Maybe the formation isn’t the Problem.

Take aways
    - I agree Cuadrado as a super sub is the way to go. He doesn’t dive. Falcao should be one too maybe in the final 20 minutes of the game with a tired defense he can be lethal again
    - Reyes isn’t the right guy. We won because he didn’t make a sub for 70 minutes as he wanted to win. He only won because he put Cucho in (a new player) who changed the game completely
    - Reyes is bad at scouting/call ups. Borja was trash yet he didn’t sub him because Machado is just that awful!!!
    - Reyes will not have a hit out on him because he didn’t play Aguilar :)

So for those who like Reyes you probably also liked Pekerman. This team plays on autopilot. It wins because James does shit him self or individual talent.

We need a coach that will make this team more confident against “stronger teams”, not laugh off smaller teams and almost tie or lose to US/Costa Rica while dominating.

While I like we won. It was like watching Bolillos colombia yesterday but now he has James/Quintero to bail him out.

3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #403 pepinointer, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    "Many shots to score".....you talked like he had receive a good service yesterday ....he receive unconfortablr headers....for examole he didnt have an optoon like in what he assist bacca.

Agaisnt usa he had two....and in the definition of the volley that didnt got in was real good.

You only based tge performabce of a forward if scored or not...that is so close ....as they recalled up....is so doubtful that you reslly watch matches....you only select scapgoats...

Where was wilmar "bad tempered" barrios red card that you have predicted? .....

But i imagine in the next 8 months you will only bitch falcao ....as your agenda, based on your bias comprehension....

Doogs and J-Mezzy repped this.
  4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Highly doubt that a lot of teams scored more than us in this week

J-Mezzy repped this.
  5. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Seriously? Bolillo's tactics with this players would have probably shot 10 times in this 4 games.

You can criticize Reyes for not trying new shit, there's nothing in the world I would have liked more, but saying that he sucks at scouting from two call ups that he probably didn't arrange is absurd.

Do you know any of the players he's called for the U-20? I do, and he has an eye for talent, that team will probably have a high number of senior internationals in the Next 5 years.

J-Mezzy and pepinointer repped this.
  6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Are you asking crzd to know something from the u-20???

Doogs and jay luis repped this.
  7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wont close the door to anyone....but the spots have to be earned.. case of duvan and muriel.

If they have a good club performance then they can be called up......and that isnt to wait a month for a good game

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Good Club Performance can be judged in different ways though. Not only scoring abilities.
    Whoever the manager will be should take into consideration the skill set of players like Muriel and Duvan and if they can provide something in his system the other players can't.

villus and crzdcolombian repped this.
  9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #409 pepinointer, Oct 17, 2018
    I dont refer just to score habilities....the guys cant be regulars from match to match.......is the main problem. For a reason muriel havent been used too much this season and duvan was forced to beugn loan depsite he wanted to stay in samp ( according to his words)...i think that if his performance was so good he would be in better clubs in his 27....isnt like inter milan juve roma lazio are looking for them

Muriel shiuld go to spoting this season

Yeah i agree they have different characteristic....but i dont see how that "difference" they provide make a continous impact

IN THE MOMENT neither duvan or muriel have good form to be called up....maybe in some months.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The way I see it, assuming a new manager comes in, he does not have time to wait and see if players are in good form or not. A new manager usually wants to see as many players as possible, call a large pool of talent and see how they fit into his system.

With limited friendlies left before the Copa America I am not sure a coach can just wait to see if last cycle's regulars will perform great at club level when there are sometimes different little issues and politics those players have no control over.

But in general I agree that players who are getting good playing time at clubs and are in good form are the ones who should be prioritized.

pepinointer repped this.
  11. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't mind Muriel because we don't have many options at that LW spot to come off the bench and offer desborde. He has had some important matches for us even while in poor club form.

I really don't see Duvan getting an opportunity with the younger guys outperforming him.

pepinointer repped this.
  12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah but maybe he have a good rest of the season and then he cam be called up.....but im not convinced about his potential now with 27 years

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fixed for truth

jay luis repped this.
  14. CalamityX18

CalamityX18 Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Jun 19, 2018
    Didn't see the game but saw the goal highlights... whooohooo! (was at USA v Peru).

Yes, Bacca scored, good for him.

Happy to see this Cucho that I heard so much about, very nice... too bad at a small sample size....

damn, and thats it. no more friendlies lol.

15. jquintero10

jquintero10 Member

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Colombia did great in my opinion. Offense looks amazing the reincarnation of Bacca is ridiculous where was this in the World Cup lol. My take on the 2 games USA that’s their squad not U20 that’s most likely their qualifying squad with the excerpt Pulisic and Mckennie. They tied France weeks before the World Cup so they’re not horrible. Costa Rica I feel like just went there to do what they could do Colombia completely outclassed them. Overall Colombia did a good job I give our offense an 8/10 we just need to work on finishing because both games we should of scored more but I’m satisfied. Stop giving Falcao shit yes he’s old we get it but the guy still works his ass off every game. Defense SOS Yerry Mina. Davinson needs that guy he looks extremely lost without him Borja did better than Machado though. Arias was our savior in defense and offense he was a beast. We have lots of youth in our team be happy and enjoy the ride it’s been awhile since we’ve seen Colombia have fun on the field. I would like to see Arturo Reyes in Copa America to give him a big test.

J-Mezzy, Doogs, Baal88 and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [QUOTE=". I would like to see Arturo Reyes in Copa America to give him a big test.[/QUOTE]

No way.. How can you give someone who has never won anything that responsibility. We played 4 friendlies with 0 pressure. If this would have been a real tournament after Costa Rica tied the game, they all would have parked the bus on defense and it would have been a different outcome. I think it would be a terrible mistake to hire Reyes.

krass repped this.
  17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fun times last night at the game. despite the cold temperatures, the atmosphere was fun and it was good seeing the fans behind the team. extremely blessed to have been able to take the wife with me and have such amazing seats.

overall we had the game under control and Costa Rica never really put us in harms way.

Ospina: did a good job. punched the ball when he had too and caught the ball when he probably would have punched it out a year or two ago.

Arias: solid game and it was interesting seeing how far up the field he played. during the first half, he was on my side of the field and i was close enough to have a convo with him. he was essentially a RM last night. It would be nice if someone else can eventually emerge to provide cover from time to time.

C. Borja: played a safe/conservative game. despite being able to push up the field from time to time, he didn't offer much. Are him and Machado really the best we have to offer in LB at this time?

Oscar: played a safe game. Did nothing wrong, did nothing great. this is pretty much the expectation we should have for someone like Oscar. I don't see anyone else in that 3rd CB spot. would be nice to also test out a guy like Bernardo eventually.

Davinson: you can sense/feel the electricity when he's near the ball and his pace and strength is even more evident in person. he likes to play on the edge of a razor - i don't know if he is purposefully trying to get opposing players to commit to him before he clears the ball, but from my vantage view, it seems like he cuts it very close. his marking ability needs to improve though. he got his pants pulled down on the Costa Rica goal and again during the 2nd half on another instance where he was beat on another ball in the air that was headed to Ospina.

Barrios: he has done a great job in making the deep midfield his home. liked what i saw from him yesterday and he kept his cool at all times. Hope he can maintain this rhythm, but on the flipside would be nice to see Lerma get thrown into the mix in future call-ups.

Uribe: played a clean game. he's a fighter and works hard to cover a lot of ground and provide link up play.

James: had a couple of great chances to score and was electric on the pitch. keep taking those shots - sometimes they fall in, other times it won't.

Quintero: another player who sparks the field with electricity when he touches the ball. always looking to pass the ball into space and create opportunities for others. would like to see him on the field with different players for extended amount of minutes in future friendlies.

Falcao: he's a warrior and you can tell he is always leaving it all out there on the pitch. he plays each game like its his last game and is wearing the captain's armband the right way like Pibe and Yepes before him. with that said, i would like to see more minutes go to some of the younger guys in the upcoming friendlies prior to CA19. Let someone like Miguel Borja put in 60-70 minutes and then sub in Falcao

Bacca: great goal and i have no problems/shame in saying that I am glad he was able to prove me wrong these past two games. he provided some good link up play and scored in both games. the goal last night was an excellent goal - the way he fought through the defenders before slotting the ball past Navas. That kind of play is what we typically see from Bacca at Villareal and when he was at Sevilla.

i still have my doubts and concerns about him when it comes time to face stiffer competition, but these two games were a great foundation for him to build from. he took the game into his own hands and drove in a goal. this is what we need to see more often going forward. us folks here who are anti-Bacca (myself included) gain nothing by being right about him, so i want him to continue to prove me wrong. i'm sure the others feel the same as well.

Subs:
    Cucho: wow, welcome to the party pal! a debut does not get any better. can't let it get to his head. both his goals showed great awareness and presence inside the 18 and he handled it as cool as a polar bear's toe nails. also saw him do some magical touches near the side of the pitch as well, but it was hard to see from my seat. look forward to seeing more of him in the future

Cuadrado: interesting to see him play primarily in a central role and loved how he created the space and set up that goal for cucho. i liked him in the super sub role today. this added dimension of play is what others here have been hoping to see from Cuadrado rather than the guy who runs down the wing trying to draw fouls.

Cardona: had some nice passes. looks like he is going to have to work his way up back up the ladder to be a key player once again. the yellow card was a bit bogus if you ask me, if that had happened early in the game, it wouldn't have been a yellow, but i think it was not too long after the Arias scuffle, so i get it.

M. Borja: 82nd minute sub. didn't do much today. would like to see him get a 70 minute game in future appearances.

Roa: i think he was the one who pushed the ball up field into space for cuadrado in setting up that final goal.

Reyes: would have liked to seen the subs come in earlier and some more experimentation with players like Villa, M. Borja. and Cucho as time goes on.

Blessed to have watched 2 Colombia games in person this year. hope you all liked the some of the pics i posted

sidspaceman, HomietheClown and Baal88 repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Machado and C. Borja are the best options we have at LB right now unfortunately.

Maybe the only other guy I would consider is Brayan Angulo from Puebla in Mexico but it would not be much of an upgrade. Pretty much the same level and older.

Furnaccio repped this.
  20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    time to leave the office and go to church for a quick prayer for Fabra to return to full health ASAP....

sidspaceman repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also pray for some younger LB kid to emerge somewhere either in the sub 20 in January or in the Colombian League.

Furnaccio repped this.
  22. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    @Baal88 what do you think of the 2 full backs at Envigado, Santiago Jimenez and Cristian Arrieta. I've seen some people tell me they are the best full backs with potential in the country. Apparently Jimenez had a lot of interest from europe before severly injuring himself, he has just come back.

23. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Santiago Jiménez I like a lot but he is injury prone, technically wonderful, he can Cross and dribble very well. Arrieta is a swiss army knife, fast, strong, decent ball control and has the best throw ins in the first division. They are lacking a bit defensively but that isn't a surprise.

To me our best young right backs are Daniel Muñoz from Rionegro and Andrés Román from Millos, they are at least on the same level as Arrieta and are physically superior.

jay luis, Doogs and Furnaccio repped this.
  24. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well whoever takes over the NT should try to find a solution for a full back problem.

25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    #425 villus, Oct 17, 2018
    We need to figure out options for LB quickly, that could really hurt us. Really wish Anderson Arroyo was playing and developing, really liked him a lot but don't think he's played since he was loaned to Gent about a month ago.

These friendlies we really didn't learn a lot other then Cucho probably should have been given a look leading up to the World Cup. He's the type of player that grows with challenges, he completely took his opportunity yesterday and I only wish we would have seen him from the start to see how he did. We played some good soccer and I'd like to see us remain attacking but I just don't see Falcao and Bacca and James + JFQ being viable against anyone other then the worst teams around, just too much risk of giving up goals. Would really like to see Borja or Cucho or both with James and JFQ, these are gonna be the attacking core going forward so even though we will still use Falcao and Bacca no doubt lets start seeing and building with the younger guys.