October 2018: Friendlies Colombia & Peru

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I have one excuse.... Dave Sarachan

Sargent better get serious minutes

2. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TNT just lost to Thailand!
    We're truly NOT a top 30 team by FIFA or ELO rank.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Winoman, Eighteen Alpha and Pegasus repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Anyhoo, regardless of what happens tonight I think this year-long series of friendlies has been very fruitful in getting McK, Miazga, Adams, Steffen and Weah integrated. Any other year this would have been an incredible haul. Now it feels like we need another two to feel comfortable. That said it should be an OK Gold Cup. Qualification should be ok but I think we really need another similar haul to be feeling anywhere near happy. That's a hard ask but it's really something we need to have regularly to get to where we want to go.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Amon, Acosta and Cannon is a lot of inexperience and I don't like the idea of Weah tracking back to help Cannon at the corner flag; I want him ready to attack at every turn. Sarachan is learning the hard way that this 4141 doesn't work when chasing a top 8 team. Run, run, run - because we are so athletic? I don't think so. Naïve. Disclaimer - I've never seen a minute of Amon p.t.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon is used to the little flea - Barrios in front of him. He should be ok. Geeked to see Weah and Sargent together again. Just wish for once got see Pulisic with them. Anyway doing it up right with a toast of North Coast Brother Thelonius followed with a Whistlepig 10 year straight rye follow up.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lima should have had this call up instead of Cannon, not that I have anything against Cannon other than his inexperience. The TTS guys were talking about the call up on a show and they both said that they had second thoughts after hearing of Cannon's call up and then going back to the film room to review his play. They just saw too much in his game that needed work.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad they called up another right back with promise. Moore, Cannon, Lima - they should all get chances to push Yedlin and back him up if injured.

10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be fast up top. Wow- very fast. As for the back, ummm, can’t really think of anything good to say. We will see.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say the right call was made. Lima can't defend. People go ga-ga because Lima looks good going forward. With our team makeup, we need defenders who can defend. We already have Yedlin and Robinson who bomb forward and are suspect to poor defenders. Lima does not address that issue.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard of Cannon or Long . . . guess I don't follow things things as closely as I once did.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And Cannon does ? (would be my objection).

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Long was USL player of the year or something like that before ReBulls kicked him upstairs to first team. He is the real deal.

adi21 repped this.
  15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than Lima? Absolutely, without question, yes.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I tune in too late for the anthems, or did they not show 'em?

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were saying? Not only was Cannon amazing defensively, but Yedlin came in and was just as I said defensively too ... poor. Lima would have been a disaster today, against this Peruvian team.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Paraphrasing Orwell, if there's hope... it lies in the MLSers.

19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #1069 Excellency, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Cannon is there then he is not there. I'm a Cannon fan. I just don't think he is ready yet. He and Delgado were in sync as the game wore on. That right side just shut down in the second half. it was tougher going to start the game. The more time he gets with Delgado, the better he will become. Delgado and Auro at Toronto are automatic. I just want to see more competition and that is why I want Lima in there. Competition is a miraculous thing.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The right side was impenetrable but Marky didn't create anything in attack, he played much more defensive than Acosta, who had his forays into the rival area.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #1071 deejay, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    To sum it up the worst part of this set of friendlies was that McK,Adams and Pulisic didn't get minutes together. Those three are our backbone and, for the moment, irreplaceable.

The best part is that our unreasonably good haul of 97s, 98s and 99s seems to have legs with Robinson, Amon and Cannon showing promise. Even better it has extended to the 2000s with Sergeant and Weah being the best of the new players. If this is the new norm for the US then we are set in 2026 and should be ok in 22.

Also, after review I think Trapp will be OK. Especially if he is playing with Adams and McK. I don't see Bradley taking his spot with how his physical form has dropped.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just that we have a clear better alternative to Mike is a relief, TBH.