October 2018: Friendlies Colombia & Peru

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the September friendlies are now behind us, and we’re on to the Ocotober friendlies. Hopefully, the new coach will be named by then.

The Schedule
    Vs Colombia, October 11, Tampa, FL
    Vs Peru, October 16, Hartford, CT

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My roster as of Sept 12, 2018 for those games...

GK: Steffen, Horvath, Bono

RB: Yedlin, Arriola

CB: Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Brooks, Parker, Palmer-Brown, Long

LB: Robinson, Lima/K.Acosta/D.Acosta/Garza/Villafana/someone who can play LB

MF: McKennie, Adams, Trapp, Roldan

AT: Amon, Pulisic, Lletget, Picault, Gooch

FW: Sabbi, Novakovich, Weah, Green, Sargent, Gall

Line-ups

Vs Colombia
    GK: Steffen
    RWB: Yedlin
    RCB: Miazga
    CB: Brooks (Cpt)
    LCB: Carter-Vickers
    LWB: Robinson
    CM: McKennie
    CM: Adams
    AM: Pulisic
    FW: Weah
    FW: Novakovich

Bench: Bono, Parker, Arriola, Roldan, Amon, Green, Gall

Vs Peru
    GK Steffen
    RWB Arriola
    RCB Miazga (Cpt)
    CB Palmer-Brown
    LCB Parker
    LWB Robinson
    CM Roldan
    CM Adams
    AM Green
    FW Weah
    FW Sargent

Bench: Bono, Long, Whoever that LB is, Trapp, Amon, Sargent, Sabbi
    *sent back to clubs: Brooks, McKennie, Yedlin, Pulisic

rlrcpa, wixson7, juveeer and 4 others repped this.
  3. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have zero faith in US Soccer to have a coach in place, so I can only hope Sarachan's two blindspots...lessen somewhat. Also a foolish hope, I'm sure- but his absolute refusal to give anyone other than Trapp (or any setup without him) a look is maddening. And up top- I don't know what Novakovich has to do to prove he's definitely NOT going to score LESS than current-Bobby or Zardes but I hope he can find a way.

RalleeMonkey, CU soccer and Master O repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Peru retained their WC coach, Ricardo Gareca.

Colombia needs to hire a new coach (to replace Jose Pekerman, who resigned earlier this month).

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    MLS Schedule:

10/7: DC vs Chi
    10/8: Sea vs Hou
    10/12: LAFC vs Hou
    10/13: DC vs Dal, NE vs Orl, Min vs Col
    10/17: Orl vs Sea, DC vs Tor, Van vs SKC
    10/18: RSL vs NE

No Arriola, Durkin, Roldan, Zimmerman, Cannon, Agudelo, Bradley, Delgado, Altidore

Given Orlando and Colorado's playoff chances, league conflicts should be a concern for Dwyer and Acosta.

largegarlic repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Given Colombia tends to focus on flank-based attacks, a 3-in-the-back formation probably isn't best.

------------------Wood---Green-----
    ----Pulisic---------------------------Nagbe-----
    --------------McKennie---Adams---
    -Robinson------------------------------Yedlin-------
    ---------------Brooks-----Miazga------
    ----------------------Steffen--------------

Wood needs to show something
    McKennie needs to show something
    Green deserves his shot
    Nagbe: nobody in the pool is as good at keeping the ball while in the middle and defensive thirds.

7. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    So guys like Amon, Gall, Sabbi and even Gooch can get looks these friendlies.. I'm all for it

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    GK: Steffen, Hamid, Guzan
    DF: Yedlin, Lima, Miazga, Brooks, EPB, Besler, Robinson, Acosta
    MF: Trapp, Adams, McKennie, Acosta, Pulisic, Saief, Lletget, Gall
    FW: Novakovich, Wood, Agudelo, Altidore

Veterans integrated back into the team: Guzan, Besler and Altidore.

Guzan was not a big part of the qualifying failure. He'd help the team, even if thats as a back up keeper. I see the top 3 keepers as those three in some order, and I don't think 4th place is that close. You could argue for Moore or Cannon as the Yedlin back up here, but I'd say start with Lima, as his team will be out of playoff contention. CB is self-explanatory. Acosta should be called in as long as he gets his spot back, but that requires Petke dropping his beef with him. If not, it doesn't really matter who is the other LB. Maybe slide Besler over to LB, and call in CCV instead. Acosta vs. Roldan for midfield spot #4. I'll take Acosta, although its close. You could make an argument for Canouse, but I don't think he's yet good enough.

Saief is dependent on returning from his injury, as is Lletget. We don't have great CF options. I don't like the idea of calling reserve team players at their club teams into the NT, so bringing Altidore (who was a big part of the failure to reach the WC) might almost be necessary for results. He's needed way more than Bradley is. Sabbi is another candidate in attack. He'd probably get the next spot.

9. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I don't see the point in calling up Novakovich again tbh. Sarachan and co. have had a bunch of good looks at him recently and have decided not to play him in the last 4 friendlies. Just let him continue to develop with Sittard.

Keeper: Steffen; whoever else as the other 2.

Yedlin, Brooks, Miazga, ARob, Lichaj, Parker, CCV, Moore

Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Trapp, Amon, Green, Saief, Acosta

Sargent, Wood, Altidore, Weah

laxcoach repped this.
  10. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    What's the reasoning for calling up EPB when he hasn't featured for Breda's first team yet, but not calling up guys like Sargent and Amon?

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they are poor evaluators of talent.

They also decided to play Trapp as a lone CDM multiple times, and play CDM's as wingers multiple times.

I don't think you can use Sarachan as an authority figure on the talent of a player/

Altidore and a lot of the MLS contingent will be in the playoffs/having important games, for their clubs, so they might not be available.

Namdynamo, Borrachin and CU soccer repped this.
  12. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I'm not saying I don't see the point of calling him in because I don't rate him, I'm saying I don't see the point for them to call him in, because they clearly don't.

As in- if they weren't going to play him in any of the previous 4 friendlies over a guy like Zardes, I don't see why they'd start then, when guys like Altidore and Sargent may be called up. It's not like they need more time to evaluate him or get him more chemistry with the team in practice either, as he's been at the last 3 camps.

Therefore, don't call him in, and let him spend his time in a more valuable way with his club.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think the situations are remotely comparable. EPB’s is similar to Miazga or Carter-Vickers.

EPB has been a first team regular at his last three clubs now. With this loan situation though, it’ll take some time to break into the starting lineup. I suspect he’ll do so within the next month. Otherwise, keep him at his club.

Sargent has never played a first team game. Very different. He should be with the U-20’s. Amon isn’t a bad shout, but he probably also belongs with the U-20’s. I would likely lean though towards keeping him at his club, considering he’s struggled to get a consistent run of games due to injury.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I do wonder whether MLS clubs really in the thick of the playoff race will ask that their players not be called up. And since these are friendlies, I can see the USMNT staff being OK with that.

So mostly a roster of Euros and the non-MLS playoff teams. Which isn't too different from your roster anyway.

15. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    I think 4-2-3-1 suits the team the best imo. It would be a CRIME Amon doesn’t get called up for these friendlies as well as Sabbi and Gall.

—-————-Weah—————
    Amon———Green——Pulisic
    ——McKennie—Adams—-
    Robinson-CCV-Miazga—Yedlin
    —————Steffen—————-

Honestly this is probably our best XI right now even though Amon is uncapped NO other LW in the pool is as good as he is. Electric player.

Weah although serviceable on the wing is best at CF and with that kinda fire behind him = goals.

Green is obviously a #10 or SS for us and is good enough there until someone else takes that spot... Soñora, Gall or even Suarez (my ligaMX wildcard to be breakout player this season) maybe?

16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I was just thinking about posting something similar. I like that
    the squad is all u25 guys. I'd addthe one guy that has been ignored the Arena/Sarchan staff... Emerson Hyndman. His career has slowed due to injuries and club selection. He is back playing in Scotland and should get a look based on the talent level we have been calling. He may not reach the level that many of us had hoped for but can still play a role in our side. I think he is a better fit for this lineup and could give him a big boost to his career at a time he really needs it.

Any concerns about his physicality and defense are masked by the role he would be asked to play and players around him. He would be the perfect complement to the front three and dmids and outside backs going forward. His focus be to circulate the ball and make sure the whole attack stays involved. I'd have Amon and Pulisic alternate between staying high and wide and pinching in.... similarly any two of the dmids or OB would join the attack.

—-————-Weah—————
    Amon————————Pulisic
    —————Hyndman————
    ——McKennie—Adams——
    Robinson——————Yedlin
    ————CCV-Miazga————
    —————Steffen——————

wixson7 repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Whoops... id play Brooks over CCV... that is only one too many overage players for the Olympics... if we qualify.

rlrcpa repped this.
  18. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught the Brooks thing...haha. I don't subscribe to any other roster that doesn't have Brooks on it first. Inconsistent? Who hasn't been.

And I'm a fan of both Emo and ArJo. Both need serious looks if we get a real coach, if they're healthy.

Not sure I'd put Emo above Green in there as of today but I do think if he's healthy and in form I would also choose him.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The one change I want before those games is the one least likely to happen.

Another waste of time. They know the fan base will stay mum so far they wave the carrot of hiring some Euro manager.

Expect more rumors of Moyes or Advocaat or whoever to come in the next weeks. They're playing you, they know you're dumb.

20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nagbe is worthy of a place on the field but his strengths are not what is needed at wide mid....wide mid needs to be able to advance the ball, cross, create, threaten to score/score etc.....mere possession is not the idea there imo.

rlrcpa repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Steffen, Hamid, Melia
    DF: Yedlin, Lima, Miazga, Brooks, Opara, Besler, Robinson, FabJ
    MF: Amon, Adams, McKennie, Nguyen, Pulisic, Nagbe, Lletget, Gall
    FW: Weah, Wood, Agudelo, Altidore

alternates:
    green, picault, sabbi, ramirez, ccv, epb, morales, williams, hyndman, zardes, saief etc

22. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I'd definitely like to see Amon and Gall in the next set of friendlies. I don't want to see Lima. Every time I've watched SJ play, he's just been average to bad.

23. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going to have any veterans on the field...it should be Nagbe and not Altidore or Bradley. Nagbe is back from injury and from what I have read had a great game against Colorado. I think that he can be reintegrated into the lineup for USNT. I have never believed he was at fault on previous games...I lay that blame on Bradley and the general malaise of the camp. Hopefully, he gets another chance in some of the games leading up to the next WC.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Nagbe was part of the same ineffective midfield as Bradley.... both of them were the problem. He declined a call up right before the Hex for "who knows why". When he was made an every game starter under Arena he wasnt nearly as effective as when he was a sub. He cant be relied on to drive the game so is a role player. and dont know why we would be adding 28 yo role players to the mix at this point to take minutes away from youngsters who can grow into quality international players.

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone gets a redo to see how they look without Bradley.

jnielsen and manq360 repped this.