Observations at the Start of New 7v7 Format

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Mr Martin, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted some thoughts about US Soccer's new 7v7 format in the Birth Year Movement thread, but that's really a tangent there and would benefit from having its own thread.

As background, I've been coaching travel and recreational soccer since 1988 and have taken more than a half-dozen youth travel teams from U9 through U14 and a few up to U17. I've gone through the process with my three older kids and am now back with my U9 son for another cycle. I was there for the start of 8v8 SSGs in the 1990s and now for the new mandates.

What are folks' initial experiences with the new 7v7 format, the use of build-out (or play-out) lines, the banning of heading, etc? Coaches, parents, or other observers are welcome to contribute.

In the other thread I wrote:

1) I love the new playing formats. I'm coaching my son's U9 team and playing 7v7 is great. One thing I have a strong early impression about is that the original US Soccer recommendation of a 7v7 field size of 35x47 yards is horrid. Way too tight a space, way too congested, and too many throw-ins. I have to believe that was set in order to justify fitting four 7v7 fields into one 11v11 field, or basically for bureaucratic reasons. Now that there is some flexibility in size ranges, we have set up our 7v7 fields at 40x60 yards, which works really well. Enough space to allow some dribbling and escape from the "swarm," but not so much space that the team shape becomes disjointed and disconnected.

2) The play-out line seems to be working as intended so far. But I will be curious how using that line also for offside might impact what coaches teach their defenders and forwards to do, and how that might actually encourage long balls and/or discourage defenders from moving forward to attack.

3) (A week later) As a follow-up to my prior comments, in our 2nd weekend of 7v7 travel soccer under the new rules I saw:

* Referees mess up on offside at midfield rather than the new build-out/play-out line. These errors will pass soon enough I'm sure.

* Several U9 and U10 teams coached to hold 1 or 2 defenders back at the defending end's build-out line all game. Fear of the break-away?

* A couple of teams pushing a forward high to the attacking end's build-out line all game. But the long balls were not very accurate and nothing really came of this.

* One team that was coached to attack the ball aggressively from the build-out line was able to regularly swarm the defender who had received the ball and overwhelm any attempt to build out of the back. Some long goal kicks or keeper throws mixed in may reduce the impact of the surging swarm.

2. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Can't say I am a big fan of enforcing offside only behind the build our line. I played team that camped a player out in our half which forced my defenders to stay extra deep. We try to play a 2-3-1 but it was impossible to keep the defenders in realistic positions with a player lurching deep. It wouldn't have been as big of an issue if the other coach actually used the build out line instead of smashing every goal kick or overhand throwing from the goalie. It just lead to a super stretched game. If the halfway line was used, I could have pushed my defenders up as neither the other coach or the ref seemed like they knew you can't be offside on a goal kick.

The other 3 games were awesome as both teams used the build out line and tried to play proper soccer.

We did play in a preseason tournament with the small (suggested) field sizes and it was gross. Kids were all over each other.

3. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Two games into this season with the new age group and new buildout line in effect, my team has won possession aspect of both games but lost on the scoreboard. Below are my observations.

1. So far I havent run into a team that would deliberately cherrypick a fast kid behind my central back. My team's strategy is to always pressure all the way to the other half with my last player at the very middle of the field. This had been working for us last season and I feared we might have to rebase our central back to the buildout line this season. So far this hasnt been necessary. But as more teams are familiar with the rule I wouldnt be surprised at all some team employs such tactics. Basically I do not like the new offside.

2. The buildout line rule has been officiated very differently in my first two weeks. During the first game, the defense was not allowed to cross the buildout line until the offense team's first NON-GOALIE player touched the ball. It kinda made sense to me so there was never an issue from either team. Second game, the defense could immediately pressure the GOALIE once he put the ball down on the ground, before he made an attempt for a pass. My team gave up two quick goals on this, with not only my U9 boys but myself confused as well.

3. I like the proposal from this board that any defense players not behind the buildout line should not be allowed to touch the ball otherwise it is IFK, but the ref should otherwise let the game flow.

4. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My boy team played U8 last year and U9 this year. Basically the size of the goal has increased from 6x12 to 7x18 but the recommended size of the field has NOT been increased at all. Besides we are now playing with one more player in a 7v7 format, than 6v6 last year. All these add to the necessity of somehow getting the goalie involved in the play. But, I never explained backpass to my boys (yes my bad, but practice time is precious!) so we gave up a goal on a backpass last week too.

So all these are good lessons. That is, one day we will need to take this lesson one way or another. The new rule basically brought these lessons forward. Except for the new offside. I hate it with a passion. It is not real soccer if teams try to play to the best outcome (in terms of win/loss) that the rule allows.

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our games have also seen the early officiating vary on this issue. One ref required an offensive team's field player to touch the ball after the goal kick was taken before the defending team could cross the build-out line. Other refs allowed the defending players to cross as soon as the attacking team struck the ball on the goal kick. As I interpret our league's discussion of the rule, once the goal kick is struck (or once the keeper releases the ball from his hands on keeper possession), the defending players may cross the build-out line. I could see pluses and minuses to either interpretation, but consistency at some point would be nice.

6. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    One thing I am not entirely sure and would like to hear all of you help me understand: on goal kicks, is the kicker (goalie or any other player) allowed to kick hard? Or he has to shown an intention of passing? I think this can be subjective to interpret.

7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is my understanding that the keeper, or the goal kick taker, may strike the ball as hard as he wants to. He is allowed to kick the ball past the build-out line if he is able. The keeper may also throw the ball past the build-out line (but obviously not punt the ball at all).

The intent of the build-out line is to encourage and hopefully allow playing the ball with better control from the back, but does not require that.

I think a couple of longer goal kicks and longer keeper throws mixed in will lessen the swarm of defending players surging toward a defending player receiving either a goal kick or a rolled ball from the keeper. If the opposing team has been taught to swarm aggressively from the build-out line toward your team's ball handler receiving the ball inside the build-out line, try a couple of longer balls to loosen up the swarm. At least that is what we will try the next time we face an aggressive, swarming opponent in this situation.

8. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Very helpful. Thanks!

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    This caught my eye...

Just a thought....you shouldn't be teaching backpassing. You should be teaching your kids to play the way they face. And the correct body position to be in when they receive the ball so they are in position to see the largest portion of the field when they get a pass.

It's never to early to start. It should be repeated early and often....and if you don't have time in our practice to focus on this....drop something else.

10. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Backpass was not an issue to us until this season we play smaller field but bigger goal. I was trying to explain where my frustration with the new rule came from.
    And you have a good point. Receiving the ball properly is indeed what we should focus on. But usually we emphasized to receive the ball with the leg behind when it is not under pressure. With the smaller field, there is a lot of pressure on my backs constantly.

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Wow today we played 9v9 on a very small field out in Evanston, IL. It did not suit our style at all but we pushed through. Would have been great to have the flexibility to play 7v7 in these cases. Of course the field being the correct size would have done the job as well :)

12. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is how you can make a small field play like a big field.

I have been arguing with other coaches for over 20 yrs, that no field is small if you know how to play on it.

Keep the ball moving from one side to the other and while your doing it always look for the throu pass then no field is too small.

Holding the ball in one place for too long makes the field small. Going in a forward direction for too long makes the field small except if you have a break away.

Another point if you have the ball on the flank do you need a team mate on the other flank? He is out of the play on the other flank as long as the ball is on the opposite flank. If you position like this that man is out of the play, and your really playing a man short during that time and space.

You don't want to be on the flank too long after the first touch because their is a shift by the opponents players to ball side. That shift is killing the dribblers space to play. As the players are shifting over the ball has to be played away from that pressure to where those overshifted players came from.

Wait to long you can be double teamed the touch line keeps the dribbler from moving away from the pressure.

So for example your a great 1 v 1 player OK beat that first defender on the flank then get out of the flank instead of taking on the second defender. Why? Because if that second defender is positioned right he is in your face as you pass the second defender. Beat the first defender the second defender has to move to the flank. If you attack inside after you got inside that first defender and that second defender. You cleared some of the middle space attack in the middle. The goal is in the middle of the field.

Many other ways to make the narrow field big. Far side player moves inside. The defense moves in side. That leaves space on the far side flank that a back can use if he needs it.

Why can't you reverse the filed against Chicago. The far side players don't defend so inside that you can reverse the field against them without being challenged. What do you do about it. Far side player trys to beat the defender inside the field when the ball is on the other flank. You get inside him you can see the ball with no one else in the way. See the ball you can score and that player is near the goal not far from the goal.

When you do that you have now also opened up the far side flank so you can switch the ball let's say to a back unchallenged.

Nothing to it with some practice

13. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yes I completely agree. And we started out rough - not knowing. But this is a very good team, they adjusted and came out with a 4-0 win.

Some really beautiful players - my daughter may have lost out on u11 but she's learning so much from playing a wonderful, open and controlled style of play!

14. Quayle

Quayle Member

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    I coach a girls u10 team and we've played two league games and a practice game under these new rules. Every game has been different and all three opposing coaches seemed just as confused. I was under the impression that we would play with offside, but it hasn't been called once. The build out line, while nice in theory, has failed to bring about any building out. It's replaced one form of chaos with another. I have 3 defenders who are capable of building play out from the back, but all three teams have swarmed them in a way in which they're forced to boot the ball out. So, instead of a punt from the goalie, we are seeing big kicks from defenders from just a bit off to the left or right of the goalie. Maybe it would work better if only 3 are allowed on that line. Most of the time, it's 5.

15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I will tell you what is wrong with this. Every coach in club ball has an obligation to his club to make himself an expert on any new rules when he coaches a team.

Same is true with the officials.

16. nysoccerdad

nysoccerdad Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Very similar situation here with my boy U9 teams. We have played three games so far this season and below are how each game is officiated:
    First game: defense team could not pressure buildout until the first non-goalie offense player touched the ball
    Second game: defense team could pressure right away immediately after the goalie put the ball to the ground
    Third game: offside was called at the middle line instead of buildout line.
    For those of you that do not need to deal with this, good for you! And yes of course it is my fault not knowing exactly how each ref is going to officiate the game. Yes the above happened even after I spoke to all these refs before the game confirming they were "aware of the buildout line".

17. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We are not having that issue at u11 or u12 because we spent the last 2 seasons getting our asses kicked whil trying to play from the back. We literally lost many games in doing so but now all that haas paid off.

So I can see the pain up front.

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This past weekend my U9 boys played another game on a postage stamp size field, less than 50 yards long and no more than 35 yards wide. The play was awful. So congested and too much panicked kicking. The ball was constantly out of play, so the game had no flow. I can only imagine that U10 boys on this size would be even worse soccer.

Half way through our initial 7v7 season, my number one recommendation is to set up 7v7 field closer to 60x40 yards or even a bit bigger.

The build-out lines are working OK. Many teams have a few boys with strong legs who will play the ball past the build-out line regardless, but in general it is allowing some composure on goal kicks. Keeper throws are also fine, and disallowing punting makes sense on theses small fields. My concern that teams would send long balls to forwards hugging the opposing build-out line has not been a frequent issue so far.

Anyone have experience with U9 girls playing under the new 7v7 rules?

19. mkg3

mkg3 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    That's exactly the point. Small tight spaces requires faster thinking and more precision in technique. Making the field bigger takes away the tightness and give players more time.

My kids routinely practice on smaller fields, like mentioned above and smaller, at 7v7 to 11v11 to increase game speed and precision for touches, passes and strike in a defender flooded box.

20. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I coach U9 girls. Our club stayed with school year for making teams so we play in a U10 league. Same exact experience. All the games on 60x40 fields have been good then our last game was on 47x30. It was way too small. I am fine with tight spaces for I g girls to play quicker but this was too extreme. The girls were all on top of each other and the ball was out of bounds most of the game. All the parents agreed it was one of the ugliest games they have ever seen. My girls played 5v5 last year so our shape is not great but even if they had been hugging the sidelines it still would have been tight.

21. mkg3

mkg3 New Member

Aug 23, 2016
    The main reason the ball goes out of bounds is because the pass gets blocked or is not trapped/one-touched properly. The player needs to make a different choice or become more accurate in tight spaces.

Yes I understand that these are U9 kids. How are they going to get better, if they don't learn to work though these situations? By putting them on the bigger fields, it takes away the need to be more accurate, and make better decisions under pressure. These young kids have tremendous ability to learn and work through athletic challenges than most adults give them credit for. Let them surprise you.

The games will be ugly for a while, as parents have noted but so what. Its sort of like watching sausage being made, as the cliche goes.

As players get better, they will be less panicked and the game will slow down for them, mentally, so that they can make better decisions too.

This has nothing to do with playing out of the back. These are fundamental technical skills. The fact that US soccer wants to play out of the back and more of possession style of soccer is simply an implementation and tactics. It does require, however, more technical players with better decision making.

22. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Mr Martin, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

I understand the benefits of training in tight spaces. I use that in practices all the time. But the original 7v7 field size recommendation by US Youth Soccer was far too extreme. I think it was in part a "political" decision to justify fitting four 7v7 fields inside one full 11v11 space, to reduce the complaints about lack of fields for the smaller format.

A 47x35 yard field = 1,645 square yards. For 7v7 soccer that is 117.5 square yards per player.

A typical older youth 11v11 field is about 110x70 yards = 7,700 square yards. That is 350 square yards per player.

7v7 is a drop of 36% the number of players on the field from 11v11. But under the origial recommendation those 7v7 players faced a 79% loss of field space compared to 11v11. Or another way of looking at this is that the U9's have lost 66% of the square yards per player. It was overkill,

Lastly, if the logic of tight space play is so beneficial, why not have 11v11 soccer play on 90x55 size fields? That would force those players to also improve their skills, right? That would still be about twice the per-player square yardage (225) that U9 players face on a 47x35 yard field (117.5). But nobody plays 11v11 soccer in such a congested space, and for good reason.

A 60x40 yard 7v7 field is still much more dense than for 11v11 soccer. 2,400 square yards = 171 square yards per player. It still puts plenty of pressure on players to control the ball. But it isn't nearly as extreme as the original 47x35 size, and thankfully that extreme has been relaxed. From my initial observations mid-way through this first season of 7v7, the 60x40 fields are far superior to the 47x35 fields, allowing for better, more skillful and more thoughtful soccer to be played.

illinisoccer repped this.
  23. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

For reference, here are Barcelona's U12s playing 7v7 in a tournament in Miami this past December.

24. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    We have adopted the birth year age groups, but we have not yet adopted the field size and player number formats in my area. I'm not at all surprised to hear that 47x30 yard fields are entirely too small for 7v7 and have led to disastrous games. I predicted that immediately after that field size was published. When did they back away from that as a requirement and what did they replace the field size requirements with? Are the field sizes now just suggestions or do they have some kind of mandatory size range. Sorry for my ignorance but I deferred following this issue when my league deferred adopting it!

25. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/assets/1/15/Small Sided Games Rules.pdf

See pages 32 and 33 for the revised size ranges for 7v7. This document is dated August 2016. 35-45 yards wide by 55-65 yards long.

Our club chose the midpoint of the width and length ranges.