O'Brien update

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is this a description of a dutch circle jerk? :D

2. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Hilarious indeed. Sigged.

3. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Today's Ajax site article states that: "O'Brien has returned to the main group".

You can see him in several pics with the yellow jersey on.

Hopefully a start with Young Ajax within the next few weeks?.....

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's one sentence on John O'Brien in today's training report on Ajax.nl, but it surely is an interesting one: "On the second training pitch John O'Brien was training with Young Ajax, preparing for a test game he will play with Young Ajax on Friday."

5. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    that is great news! i dont just say that as a nat. team fan, but a job fan. i hope he gets fit again and starts playing. he has been terribly unlucky.

6. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I wear my JOB jersey whenever I get sick - I sit around the house feeling miserable, I figure JOB can sympathize.

Frankly, I think part of the reason that many soccer fans of other teams and countries don't even realize JOB is American is because he's injured so often, he really doesn't play often for the NATs.

But every time he does, I become a fan all over again. He really is so talented and steady - great combination of skill and drive.

Glassman, we miss you! We hope you continue to progress.

7. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR
    i bought a job nats jersey when they came out earlier this year. i was wearing it during the game the other night. i just realized that he has probably never even put that jersey on. sad. but, good luck, get better.

8. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure DamonEsquire didn't write this??? Sure seems like his work...

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Has he played yet? Anyone see it.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jong Ajax beat AGOVV 1-0 with Sangoy scoring.
    Vermeer, Boakye, Maduro, Vermaelen, Filipe, Muller van Moppes, Tiberkanine, Esajas, Bechan, Sangoy, Soetaers.

no mention of johnny o.

maybe it isnt that bad. in the past he would be about to play in one of these or actually play and then feel a small, nagging pain. maybe in this case he just decided to give it one more week, for precautions.
    we shall see.

11. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    JOB takes a crap and he later feels a small, nagging pain. He's hurt so much that he's not even worth thinking about anymore. Damn shame to because he's a great player when he's healthy.

12. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    its turning into freakin sasquatch or the yeddi sightings anymore with JOB. its like kaiser soze....a friend of a friend heard a story of him in a picture maybe...

13. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Brilliant.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  15. dxp969

dxp969 New Member

May 23, 2004
    Is there any chance that O'brien will make the remaining El Salvador, Panama, Jamica Qualifers?

16. Jeff Wyatt

Jeff Wyatt New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I think there's a possibility, if he's match fit this week or next, that he could be called in for Jamaica. However, if the game is meaningless, I don't see this happening.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

IMO he wont get called until he is playing semi-regular for AJAX

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    In his case, just a single 90-minute first team performance would make him a lock. Unless he doesn't want to travel.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    JOB is not healthy enough to even think about a nat callup. This may seem backwards, but he's got to focus on a good four months with ajax before considering an int game. I mean, there's healthy, and then there's fully fit. he hasn't been the second for a long time. He's gonna need at last a dozen games before he's back to full-speed status. and given his history, that might never happen.

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

although i wont be attending, id still like to contribute to the party you guys like to throw in here...

[​IMG]

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed,,,i doubt you see JOB until the next round of qualifying

22. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    IIRC JOB signed a contract at Ajax for this season where his pay is a function of how much he plays for Ajax.

At this point, he's fighting against pre-mature retirement.

I would be surprised if we see JOB for the nats at all during qualifying. Maybe during his european off-season next summer.

23. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu

I agree. Sadly, I'd be surprised if we ever see JOB play for the nats again. I really hope that I'm proven wrong, but it just seems like JOB is chronically injured. And the saddest thing is that he's such a talented and skilled player . . .