O'Brien update

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Jist is that he remains out of the running for a spot for this week's CL game--Maxwell and van Damme are doubts at left back.

3. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Today's article still has him training among the injured players, and not with the regulars.

http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=32296

I suppose when he's ready, he'll probably play a game or two with Young Ajax before playing with the A1 selection (and hopefully earning his starting role back)....

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I have my fingers crossed for John. I believe that having him healthy for 2006 will be an absolute must.

5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't count on it.

6. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Another article today shows a picture of John, and says the following:

John O'Brien fully participated with the entire training session, and appeared to do so without any problems.

http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=32431

Maybe he's closer than we think....

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I did the Amsterdam ArenA tour today and found out that he's getting fit before getting a run out. They want to make sure he's healthy before he gets hurt again.

He's pretty popular with a lot of the fans, but they still don't know if they can count on him over a full season.

Sachin

8. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I recall a recent article where JOB basically implied he was overworked when he came back last winter. I remember him playing two or three games a week over the final three months of the season (Eredivisie, Dutch Cup, and Champions League). Hopefully his achilles problems are behind him and he can get some limited minutes before the winter break.

9. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Sachin- any updated timetable on when he's fit enough to start playing with the reserves?

10. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Sadly, this statement is probably all too accurate.

O'Brien is one of my favorite USA players, but the guy seems to be badly snakebitten.

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Dammit. He finally is getting healthy from his achillies problem and now he gets bitten by a snake? What are the chances. ;)

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, here is hoping he does a Berhalter.Do any of you remember that the first half of his career he was ALWAYS hurt? He broke his foot over and over.Then poof, the last 4 years he has played every match. O'Brien is a big tatent, he just needes to stay healthy!

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he should play in Ireland

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    There wasn't any timetable when I took the tour.

BTW, the ArenA is a pretty nice stadium. The tour guide nearly wet himself when I told him about the largest college football stadiums seating 100K+.

Sachin

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

my dutch is crap, but i think it says he's going to the match tonight

17. im_spartacus

im_spartacus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Santa Clara, CA
    Here's a rough translation. The quote deals with the Netherlands Euro 2004 game against Denmark.

Maarten Stekelenburg, Julien Escudé en John O'Brien hadden wel gedacht dat Nederland zaterdag in actie zou komen. Het drietal had echter ingeschat dat de Italianen de tegenstander zouden zijn.

Maarten Stekelenburg, Julien Escudé and John O'Brien were right in thinking the Netherlands would be in action this Saturday. However, they thought the opponent would be Italy.

18. im_spartacus

im_spartacus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Santa Clara, CA
    There's an additional quote at the end of the article I forgot. The article compares the predictions of several Ajax players concerning who would qualify for the quaterfinals. In essence, some Ajax players expected the Dutch to win their group and the Czech Republic to play Sweden.

Vier Ajacieden (O'Brien, Stekelenburg, Sikora en Anstasiou) voorspelden een confrontatie tussen de twee Tsjechische Ajacieden en Ibrahimovic.

For Ajax players (O'Brien, Stekelenburg, Sikora en Anstasiou) foresaw a game between the two Czech Ajax players (Zdenek Grygera, Tomás Galásek) and Ibrahimovic.

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Oh well. It would be nice if the Ajax website would mention something about his recovery progress every now and then.

20. im_spartacus

im_spartacus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Santa Clara, CA

21. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET

22. im_spartacus

im_spartacus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Santa Clara, CA
    Five days..how can you stand it....

23. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  24. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Believe it says John didn't train on Tuesday.

25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    *&^%$#!@#$%^&*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!