News: Obama's Treasury Pick Is a Tax Cheat...

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by IntheNet, Jan 13, 2009.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't paid 'em!!!

Treasury nominee failed to pay taxes
    Jan 13, 4:26 PM (ET)
    By BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090113/D95MGFTO1.html
    WASHINGTON (AP) - President-elect Barack Obama's choice to run the Treasury Department and lead the economic rescue effort disclosed to senators Tuesday that he failed to pay $34,000 in taxes from 2001 to 2004, a last-minute complication in an otherwise smooth path to confirmation. Timothy Geithner paid most of the past-due taxes days before Obama announced his nomination in November, an Obama transition official said. The unpaid taxes were discovered by Obama's transition team while investigating Geithner's background, the official said. The transition official requested anonymity because the source was not authorized to discuss Geithner's situation.

From the article... he paid "most of the past-due taxes"? I know for a fact that paying "most of your taxes" is not an option regular Americans have at their disposal and note that these are "past due" taxes at that! Yet another bad pick by Obama! Culture of corruption continues! Expect the Anointed One to sweep this under the rug...

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See here fellow citizens... when those nasty folks from the IRS call about your unpaid taxes just apologize and say you're just as sorry as their new boss...

Geithner Apologizes Over Taxes
    By BRIAN BLACKSTONE and MARTIN VAUGHAN
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123254915519002447.html
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Treasury Secretary nominee Timothy Geithner apologized Wednesday to members of the Senate Finance Committee for tax errors he committed earlier this decade that came to light during his nomination process.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Hey all you libs out there who frequent this board...can you IMAGINE what would happen if a Bush or Republican nominee was in this position?

Of course you can't because that would only shine the light of hypocrisy on you.

And now Geithner's blaming TurboTaX!

Naturally, Geithner will be confirmed, and with Republican votes, because, well, he may be one of the more knowledgable and competent people Obambi would nominate.

But let's get real here. First Geithner perpetrates fraud, then he tries to weasel out of his unethical and illegal bahavior by blaming turbo tax, purposefully jeopardizing the reputation and financial well-being of a perfectly fine, upstanding company.

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Of course we'd go after it, just as the Republicans are going after this. The only difference is that Geithner has a better reputation than Bush's most controversial appointees did.

This is 100% false. He was asked whether he used software and what software it was. He later said--here's a direct quote for you--this: "these mistakes were my responsibilities, not the software I used."

He explicitly denied that the mistake involved the software, exactly opposite of what you claim.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    "Mistakes"? LOL. that's a good one Bo. This cheat not only didn't pay the payroll taxes, he sought and got IMF reimbursment for the taxes he didn't pay. Biden needs to sit Giethner down and explain that paying taxes patriotic.

6. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Oh, gimme a break...the Republicans are absolutely dainty on this. Pelosi would be in a rage, saying we'd have to save the planet from the tax cheat.

Of course, your assessment is the PERFECT explantation for the way Alito was treated, or the votes on Roberts, by Dhimms. Bottom line, for the Dhimms, it has nothing to do with ability or competence, it's all about loathing anything related to Bush.

Ever hear the Kooks song, "Naive?" Take a listen. Really rocks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_HJEfdCf0"]YouTube - The Kooks - Naive (Live Abbey Road)[/ame]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_HJEfdCf0[/youtube]

7. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, a guy who claims to have been "careless" and committed "avoidable mistakes" is going to oversee the economic recovery process, uh? Interesting.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Gee, I guess if your party of choice hadn't totally ********ed up this country with its complete control of the government for six of the last eight years and then gotten their asses handed to them in the last two elections, perhaps you could have a treasury secretary you could be proud of. A shame really.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I heard Wesley Snipes has been researching this role for years!

10. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The "mistakes" line isn't the pertinent part. Karl claimed that Geithner blamed his software, when he did nothing of the sort. Sen. Grassley asked him which software he used. How else is he supposed to respond?

In all honesty, I think this is a very legitimate criticism of Geithner. Whether it's enough to disqualify him, well, I can't say. If the GOP truly believes that Obama isn't likely to pick somebody they like more than Geithner, then it's no wonder that they're not pressing him harder on the issue.

11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    First of all, it's not "my party of choice." Republicans deserve what they got.

Second, the country is not "totally" f----d up. We have issues, but I'd much rather be us than, say, Mexico, or Rwanda.

Third, as for our current set of problems, there is lots of blame that can be apportioned to a lot of folks, including, I daresay, a bunch of pretty sleazy and, in the end, not too bright Democrats -- presumably from YOUR party of choice.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    First, my apologies for the original post. It was late and I was in a snippy mood unrelated to Geithner. ;)

Second, I would agree with you to a point. We are in a very dangerous position, however, that could have long lasting effects. I don't know, maybe making us the England of the next century. Solid country that was once the world's great power. We can only keep up our military might if we are a leading economic power and I think we can all agree that we need to get our house in order. How to do that is clearly up for debate.

Third, the Democrats are not my party of choice. I voted for my republican representative and state representative and I may very well vote republican in the next gubernatorial election. Let's see who is on the ballot. I cast my first national vote for Reagan in 1984. I haven't voted republican in 20 years, on a national level, however, because of the hard line social conservatives. That doesn't mean that I always vote democratic either. I voted Perot in 2002. I honestly don't even remember who I voted for in 1996. Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004.

I also agree that there is blame to go around but I'm not sure why you reserve terms like "sleazy" and "not to bright" for democrats. Given the level of control republicans have had in congress and the the administration for the last eight years, I would say they were better positioned to affect policy over the past 28 years.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  14. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    And that ain't all...
    And to think, some were worried about Bush's national guard record. Let the true CULTURE OF CORRUPTION begin.

How long has Obamy been in office?

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Two years? No it only seems that way. Sigh, only two weeks. ;)

16. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Another quits because of tax fraud. I think it's clear now that libs what to raise taxes but they don't care too much about paying them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28994296/

His withdrawal came just a few hours after another Obama nominee, Nancy Killefer, said she was withdrawing her nomination. Both had controversies with taxes and cited distractions over that as reasons for withdrawing.

I also like the way they consider tax fraud a "distraction". Chicago politics is alive and well in the White House. Hope and Change.

17. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    :confused:

If Chicago politics were alive and well in the White House, then Daschle wouldn't have dropped out.

If I'm not mistaken, all of these tax frauds/mistakes/whatevers were detected by Obama's vetting team. Not by FOX News, not by Congress, not by zealous bloggers, but by Team Obama.

I honestly don't get it. Do you guys actually, sincerely believe that Daschle et al. withdrew on their own? Even the National friggin' Review says that Obama is throwing these people under the bus (i.e., that the decision was his, not theirs).

You're criticizing the Obama administration for people who aren't even in the Obama administration (save for Geithner)! Do you also criticize New York Red Bulls for "signing" George Weah?

18. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    We sure do take pot shots at the Red Bulls from time to time.

Bo, Bo, Bo, Bo, Bo, Bo...

...It's not the fact that a President has had trouble with appointees...

...It's the fact that it's THIS president, the Grand Poobah of post-partisan, trans-racial, no-lobbyists-in-my-administration President is experiencing this...it's the arrogance and sanctimonious triumphalism of his supporters, worshippers, and leeches, who simply can't see this guy for what, ultimately, he really is, which is in the end a pretty much dyed in the wool politician with a fairly skewed moral compass

...it's the "grand sweeping gestures" and then the mucky, dirty, slimy, messy realities...

THAT'S the problem. Tom Daschle, Tim Geithner, "we'll consider it a success if we close Gitmo by the end of our first term," a "kindler, gentler rendition," the "apologia" on al Arabiya TV...these are all just symptoms of the basically hollow and empty character that is at the heart of this administration...

19. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, Barry is either...

-Naive in thinking that the rest of his party is as pure as his followers think he is, thus we're seeing more and more potential cabinet members having these "ethical dilemmas", or

-He's a dick for wagging his finger at our side of the aisle in regards to corruption.

Personally I think the former. During the beginning of the reign of Billary, the media were supportive of Bubba, but they weren't fawning over him the way they do BHO (that would be the entertainment industry). I'd say the MSM knew the Clintons bastards, but at least they were their bastards.

However, the media really is doing their best to carry Obama's message because they do believe he is the Chosen One, and there might be some truth to that in that at least he's a good enough person for them. Of course, that means he's going to chewed up and spit out by the job, his own party, and especially those out in the world that wish to do us harm, but at least he promised change...

20. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Of course you're gonna stand by your savior, however, Mr. Hope and Change stood by his pick even after the discovery.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/President44/story?id=6786608&page=1 (notice this is not Fox News)

The White House today called Daschle's failure to pay more than $100,000 in back taxes a "serious mistake," but the president still "absolutely" supports his nomination to be secretary of Health and Human Services.

And I understand the "errors", as Daschle puts it. Sometimes you just put the decimal in the wrong place. Happens all the time.

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I do not understand: If Daschle and Killefer have withdrawn and Obambi admits he made “a mistake” in appointing tax cheats, why the exception for Geithner since his tax violations were the most egregious? This will be a sword over the Treasury and justification from the White House will not surface; Geithner must also resign...

22. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano