Obama Failure Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do remember what happened when any would even talk quietly about questioning any of it, right?
    Called traitors and worse and shouted down. It was brutal. Conveniently ignored now and it's all their fault somehow in your rewritten history.

And they did start to end the wars. funny thing about wars, they're much easier to get into than to get out of, at least responsibly.

HerthaBerwyn and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is true, having a backbone is not something Democrats are know for, I sometimes forget that, my apologies.

(well 126 Dems did vote aginst it, and 21 Dem Senators) (1 Rep Senator and 6 Rep House members)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution

4 sure,

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Fixed. Although your original post was accurate, the Iraq debacle was as much a sign that we no longer have a "4th estate" in this country. If its not in a press release or its not a mind-numbingly stupid story of no substance, they don't care. I've told this story before, but what the hell. I remember watching Bush's State of the Union in February before the Iraq War 2 started. He was summarizing intelligence on WMD when he started talking about aluminum tubes . . . used to make nuclear weapons! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I couldn't believe it because not two weeks earlier, I had read a story about how those tubes were absolutely NOT suitable for the creation of nuclear weapons, and could only be used to make conventional weapons. I'm thinking, "Bush just blatantly lied in the SOTU speech! He's politically dead on this now! Nothing. Silence. No one in the media (in any meaningful way because I don't recall a single story) challenged him on this blatant lie. The media was more than complicit in the build up for war. They were cheerleaders. The democrats should have absolutely done more to stop the train. No doubt. In fact, how nice would it have been to tack on an amendment to the authorization that all Americans would be assessed a "war tax" if it didn't pay for itself as promised.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    “It’s like somebody goes to a restaurant, orders a big steak dinner, a martini and all that stuff, then just as you’re sitting down they leave and accuse you of running up the tab.”

White House Forgets to Pay Lunch Tab

What an apt metaphor for this Presidency.

5. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  7. Quayle

Quayle Member

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Beerking repped this.
  8. Quayle

Quayle Member

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    It's funny how when someone questions his motives on a particular topic, he responds like this...

"The fact of the matter is there are laws on the books that I have to enforce. And I think there’s been a great disservice done to the cause of getting the Dream Act passed and getting comprehensive immigration passed by perpetrating the notion that somehow, by myself, I can go and do these things. It’s just not true,” Mr. Obama said last year.

And before you know it, he contradicts himself. It's like he has no idea that Algore invented the internet and his words can be researched.
    Let's call this what it is- Catch, Release, and Vote!
    I'm guessing this will backfire, as does everything else he throws at us.

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. It's too bad you didn't keep those words in mind.

And let's call this what it is: Parroting Rush.

Q*bert Jones III and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Smells of fear and desperation, like just about out of the Obama camp these days.

As Quayle already noted, it wasn't long ago that Obama was saying our system of checks and balances prevented him from bypassing the Congress.

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Quayle just got internet pantsed.

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who slam "amnesty" as a concept should be treated as pariahs.

"Amnesty" is only bad if it is given to people who don't deserve it, i.e. people who have hurt others without justifiable reason.

People who cross an imaginary line drawn by people long dead, and in this case generally not of their own free will, have hurt no one. It is criminal that prior to today, these people were deported.

This is a good thing.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  15. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Sometimes good politics is good policy." Who cares if it's a pander? It's the right thing to do.

---someone on Bill Maher said the quoted part above.

16. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the reason for the timing, is because congress would have done something about it last year. the repugs cant do anything about it now or risk being cast as anti-latino.

last year all they had to do is add an amendment to any vital bill like the debt ceiling bill or the tax cut for the middle class early this year that would have overturned yesterday's miracle gift to latinos.

the timing is fantastic. cuz now the repugs cant overturn it.

the only vital bill in the horizon is the transportation bill

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    There is no bill to overturn. In fact, Marco Rubio was trying to actually craft a bipartisan Dream Act, but Obama's political stunt throws a wrench into the works. So not only is Obama derlict in his Constitutional duties, he has poisoned the well in the hopes he'll garner a few votes.

Sad fact is we need a serious dicussion on immigration reform but we'll never get it with an administration so desperatate they are willing to do anything to get reelected.

18. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    u misunderstood. the repugs could have made an amendment to any vital bill to overturn obama's actions yesterday.

but now with no significant bill in the works, he doesnt have to worry about that

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Rubio is actually trying to craft legislation to do what you want, here are his comments on yesterday's annoucement:

There is broad support for the idea that we should figure out a way to help kids who are undocumented through no fault of their own, but there is also broad consensus that it should be done in a way that does not encourage illegal immigration in the future. This is a difficult balance to strike, one that this new policy, imposed by executive order, will make harder to achieve in the long run.

Today’s announcement will be welcome news for many of these kids desperate for an answer, but it is a short term answer to a long term problem. And by once again ignoring the Constitution and going around Congress, this short term policy will make it harder to find a balanced and responsible long term one.

20. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nope, the real dream act passed by congress in 2010 is a more balanced and humanitarian approach. the repug version is an absolute insult to immigrants across the US. its like dangling a carrot tied to a stick, and just pull it just out of reach, but lower it just enough to trick latinos into thinking the carrot is within reach.

rubio can shove that bill up his arse

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is true, and I give Rubio lots of credit, and I hope he continues with his effort instead of getting caught up in the political aspect of it, but too many in the Republican Party are opposing this. It's like when Bush tried to do the right thing and reform immigration, and he was opposed mainly by his own party.

It's really sad when I see young people who grew up here and for all practical purposes are American and who are trying to study and get productive jobs and find ways to get ahead and contribute to the society where they grew up, and their own government is trying to deport them to some place they don't even know. Politically motivated or not, what Obama is doing right now is the right thing, and long overdue.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yep.

Same is true for those on legal student visas getting degrees we desperately need, we encourage them to stay once they've graduated rather than send them home.

23. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I remember a few years ago La Migra was denying visas to Chinese PHD physics candidates because they may try to stay after they graduate. Really.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two points.

1. Vfish actually is on to, well, half a point. This is NOT the right way to do things in a democracy. You know what else is not the right way to do things in a democracy? Use a filibuster to kill every ********ing thing under the sun. Regardless of whether you're left, right, or an independent centrist, in the long run, this is what our democracy is going to look like if the Senate doesn't kill the filibuster. The minority party will filibuster everything to death, and the President will do more and more things by executive order. We'll have a sort of elected dictator. Meanwhile, nobody in Congress will be responsible for anything. :poop:

2. Basically, Obama is calling the Rubio Republicans' bluff. They can either back this, or reveal themselves to be total hypocrites just using Rubio's plan as a way to assuage Latino concerns this fall.

25. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC