Obama Failure Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how could anybody be anti-pre-sex-pro-choice?

2. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    i guess death panels do exist

(Reuters) - American militants like Anwar al-Awlaki are placed on a kill or capture list by a secretive panel of senior government officials, which then informs the president of its decisions, according to officials.

There is no public record of the operations or decisions of the panel, which is a subset of the White House's National Security Council, several current and former officials said. Neither is there any law establishing its existence or setting out the rules by which it is supposed to operate.

The panel was behind the decision to add Awlaki, a U.S.-born militant preacher with alleged al Qaeda connections, to the target list. He was killed by a CIA drone strike in Yemen late last month.

The role of the president in ordering or ratifying a decision to target a citizen is fuzzy. White House spokesman Tommy Vietor declined to discuss anything about the process.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/05/us-cia-killlist-idUSTRE79475C20111005

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Let this be a warning to grandma.

4. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    More Jobs lost under Obama ...

ba-dum-bump

5. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Obama is toast.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Jobs will not come back, that's for sure. That's a huge Obama fail.

7. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Saul Alinsky now? His acolyte is failing. All we need now is a new Mcarthy to deal with these communist inspired traitors.

Oh
    My
    God
    Wtf

Is this taboo? Oh I'm so sorry.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Who's going to beat him?

9. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think Steamy missed the joke there.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    How 'bout in the last 3?

Funemployment
    Notion of fairness
    Man-caused disaster
    Kinetic military action
    Balanced approach

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Funny how Steamy always misses the joke, but the joke never seems to miss him. Hell, the joke is on Steamer all the time.

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what do we think, guys? Better than Steamer? Worse? About the same/sock?

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was thinking more like Guardian 2.0.

Which means "About the same/sock."

14. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just don't make 'em like they used to...

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, it's worth asking, were you in favor of Bush admin policies with regard to the war on terror, e.g., wiretapping of questionable legality, rendition, Gitmo, denying habeas corpus until forced to do so ??

I'm asking because I'm genuinely interested in whether you were against those policies or whether you're just a hypocritical partisan hack. And yes, I suspect the latter, so prove me wrong.

Here, I'll answer the reverse question before it's even posed. I was against the Bush admin's roll back of civil liberties mentioned above, and it's the source of my biggest disappointment with the Obama admin (as I've posted in numerous threads on the topics) that many of the policies have continued either unabated or only mildly changed.

Now as for the assassination of al Awlaki, I'm not comfortable with it based on what we currently know, and I definitely agree with those who are arguing that, at the very least, the OLC legal justifications for this should be released for public review. However, at the same time, I don't agree with Glenn Greenwald and others who are arguing that nothing short of prospective Article III judicial review could render this assassination legal.

Since no one's bothered to do so yet, here's some legal analysis of the issue from Jack Goldsmith and others who are well versed in this area of law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/01/opinion/a-just-act-of-war.html?_r=4&ref=opinion

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2011/10/on-due-process-and-targeting-citizens/

Again, I don't have enough info now (and may never) to say that I agree with Goldsmith and Wittes's analysis, but they nevertheless provide a good starting point for addressing this issuse.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OH MY GOD! As I soon as I get to the bottom of the Clinton-murder-of-Vince-Foster, I'm TOTALLY going to research this further.

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no Obama not failing thread, so I shall post this in here since it's not really about Immigration, per se ;) And besides, at least one of the many folks on here who hate everything he does will find it a fail anyway.

I believe Obama is trying to lock up the "breathing heterosexual male" demographic with his latest appointment:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011...ial-community-and-americas-economic-competiti

1 person likes this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I don't have the "technical skills" to know quite how to express this in a legal framework, but it strikes me that there's a possible standard along the lines of "if we might hit him when we're shooting at somebody else anyway."

Suppose for example Yamamoto's pilot had been a renegade US citizen? Would "due process" have been required before we shot the plane down?

Actually here's a concrete case-- war of 1812. The "United States" fought a single ship action against the "Macedonian." Among the crew of the "Macedonian" was a US citizen, one of those whose impressment was the root of the conflict. He requested that he be allowed to sit out the conflict rather than fight against his country, the British captain indicated he would fight or be shot on the spot, and in fact he was killed fighting in the action.

Was he denied due process? Should Decatur have avoided the action in case such a thing might happen?

Or to take the issue away from declared wars-- US revenue personnel engaged in actions against pirates in the Carribbean and the Gulf during the era of the Articles of confederation and right on into the 1830's maybe 40's.
    I can't cite an individual, but its silly to pretend that none of the pirates were U S Citizens. I'm fairly sure no one felt any need to worry about their rights over and above those of non-citizen pirates in such a context...

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    US economy adds 103,000 jobs in September, and the July/August numbers were revised up (shockingly, as getting revised down is the usual procedure). :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/07/us-usa-economy-idUSTRE78C33C20111007

Almost 1.1 million jobs added for the year. That's not enough, but I would see this as the absolute minimum that President Obama needs out of the economy next year to have a semi-realistic shot at re-election.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Fuel prices going down should help things a bit.

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Shakira kid looks promising, I wonder if she'll do well.

22. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    I believe 45,000 of those jobs were counting the return of striking Verizon workers.

http://www.citytowninfo.com/career-...-shows-more-job-growth-than-expected-11100701

23. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Yes, I must have missed a clever joke hidden inside this line.:confused:

24. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    The Republican nominee. Do you really need to ask?

25. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They told me if I voted for McCain things like this would happen. I wish I had listened to them.

And in a very bizzare postscript to all of this US State Department contacted the family of one of Awlaki's henchmen who was killed in the drone strike to give condolences (or so the family says, who knows what really was said).