Obama Failure Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Or he could run on "I'm the whiter candidate", if facing Cain.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But is he really?

I think that only a game of 21 could decide that.

3. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but Herb...er...Herman would get crushed. How tall is the pizza man anyways? From the debates, it looks like he's under 6-foot. Barry would take him down low and work a little Mark Aguirre on him.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He'd also Dikembe Mutambo any garbage that Cain would throw up and then wag his finger in his face going "no no" :D

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Or a round of golf.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Or a game of hockey.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In defense of Obama ... I just saw a remarkable poll output (Daily Kos). Every single poll demographic, including Democrats (!), lean toward Obama being too liberal rather than too conservative.

Wow. The President proposes austerity rather than spending, preserves tax cuts for the wealthy, lowers the estate tax, continues Guantanamo, kills Bin Laden through an illegal act, continues TSA, has an anti-illegal immigrant rule so severe that some states won't comply, etc. ... and Dems lean toward the notion that he's too liberal. (In fairness, most say that he's "just right" but those that criticize are likelier to do so because he's too liberal rather than too conservative.)

Well I guess I really should back off the guy, he doesn't always explain his case well but in a country where Maggie Thatcher would be a left-centrist (only slight exaggeration) it's a bit hard for him to do anything very progressive.

Oh, and one bright spot for the President -- even two thirds of Republicans say that the Buffett tax should be enacted. It's an outright winner for him and he should club Republican politicians mercilessly with it. Either they finally give him something in return for his concessions, or they don't and then Obama very credibly can say "Look nobody can work with these people, they are so beholden to a small minority that they will refuse to enact the will of the people."

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Forgive me, but there is no way that ad ran for a month. Two weeks max.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the funnies rack up today. The legality or illegality of an act in the international system. Hoo boy. You crack me up.:D

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What makes you say that? Are you privy to the ad's broadcast schedule?

1 person likes this.
  11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Based on the positive reaction when the ads came out and the when they first appeared on my TV screen. Are you privy to the schedule?

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No, but I'm more inclined to trust Ford's digital PR guy over you.

Also, that doesn't explain how you came to the conclusion that the ad only ran for two weeks.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    His tweets are sweet. Is it too much to ask for a more formal confirmation?
    As I said, the buzz over the ads started about 10 days ago, around the same time I saw the ad on my TV screen. I've got nothing other than that. What do you got?

1 person likes this.
  14. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Maybe, but why make such a big fuss over a lazy opinion writer who couldn't be bothered to even call Ford's PR.
    Well, that's kinda how ad campaigns are. There are some big-budget brand campaigns with lot of legs, but for a retail campaign like this, the wear-out is pretty quick and it might take a couple of weeks for buzz to build without a big PR push behind it. Plus, they still have the ad up on their YouTube channel - either Obama's henchman isn't doing a good job of henchmanning or there just aren't enough pieces to add up to a conspiracy.

15. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Also, a couple more words from Ford:
    https://www.facebook.com/ford/posts/218643818196208
    and
    https://twitter.com/#!/Ford/status/118788383429496832

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What a peculiar reaction. It's illegal to send troops into a neutral country's territory. If somebody did it to us, we'd declare war.

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say the other country cannot retaliate. What I said is that it's not illegal. There is no international law that cannot be broken. There is no arbiter in the system who looks on the US and says "That was very wrong of you, boy, very wrong" and can punish them. Case in point: did we ever get punished for mining the Nicaraguan harbors?

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK fine. I will restate. "Eff the world opinion we're better than them so we do what we want" is the righty view. "Oh we're global citizens we only do what is internationally approved, otherwise we would be bad people " is the lefty view. Obama steered very much right with Osama. That is the point.

19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it the lefty view? If the UN Security Council had approved our invasion into Iraq, did it automatically make it a good thing? Did it make it legal?

20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Bx5dOmV-8"]You guys really missed the low-hanging fruit on this one[/ame]

Words mean things. If something violates international law, it's illegal; whether or not it is politically possible to enforce judgement is another issue.

21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys do misunderstand me. I think it's a bad thing that international law is a joke. I just think that if it is a joke, our country should benefit from it.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah mostly although American lefties are still rightish in the grand scheme of things, which is why they're mostly fine with flying over Pakistan and assassinating somebody.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was fine with it. I was just responding to ABs assertions regarding legality and international law.

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't just assassinating "someone," it was a guy that even the Dolly-Freakin'-Llama was in favor of bumping off.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes well, the point being that no matter how the target was, Obama's decision to fly troops over a foreign country and kill the guy would seem to suggest that he's not "too liberal" to be President.