PBP: O39: D1.England - Cameroon.E3

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a bit of a leap, no? Chad disagreed with the call but I don't see victimism in play here.

Dr. Wankler, MiLLeNNiuM and JimWharton repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am expecting Cameroon to walk off the pitch at the next incident...

3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. The intentional act was cutting out the cross. That the ball ended up at the keeper was chance. The defender's poor touch could've ended up an own goal, but only a fool would have then said that the defender took a shot on goal.

But that's just my interpretation. I don't mean to trigger anyone.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  5. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cool. I will ignore the troll from now on.

6. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Could this have been a card?

kennytt and blissett repped this.
  7. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I watch the women's world cup since 2011 and there has always been poor refereeing. That's nothing new. It's not even necessarily about favoring a team over another, just successions of bad calls and lack of balance. And VAR doesn't make things any better.

That's really annoying as it totally distorts games at such a point that I often wondered if the whole thing should still be taken seriously. The German referee clearly favoured Norway on yesterday against Australia. The free kick on which England scored the first goal is something that would never be whistled in a men's game (the immediate danger would have been considered as justifying the keeper's handling). And there are so many other situations that it's been a long time I've just stopped counting.

Something should really be done to improve women's refereeing. First thing, we should let them referee in men's lower divisions so that they get more experienced. Second thing, it wouldn't shock me if men would referee some women's games as well. After all, there's no reason why referees should necessarily be of the same sex than the players.

MiLLeNNiuM, kennytt and chad repped this.
  8. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #133 Kakeru, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    This. The way those girls have been playing the card victim has been nothing short of disgraceful for the spirit of the game. If anything, I'm just surprised that the referee has not sent one of the substitutes off for dissent. There were plenty of candidates for cards and ejections in the midst of those protests.

I'll just add this old quote from Roy Keane, and that could well apply in the case in front of us: "Mentally, not strong enough. They can complain all they want but it's not going to change. They need to get over it."

blissett and KimLittle#Magic repped this.
  9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    64' 3-0 Cameroon subs in (2 of 3) #15 Ysis Sonkeng for #5 Augustine Ejangue.
    64' 3-0 England subs in (1 of 3) #9 Jodie Taylor for #18 Ellen White.

68' 3-0 Yango two-handed shoves R1 out of the way :unsure:
    1142841316025327616 is not a valid tweet id

68' 3-0 Cameroon subs in (3 of 3) #14 Ninon Abena for #22 Mchaela Abam.

kennytt and blissett repped this.
  10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England is definitely shaky at the back, but it might be just because of how this game is going. Against Argentina they had no problems.

11. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Sometimes slow motion replays can be deceiving but it looks like it should have been a card

blissett repped this.
  12. KimLittle#Magic

Arsenal
    England
    Jun 16, 2019
    It's cool. I said pass back at time but haven't seen it since, so just asking.

13. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    :devilish::devilish::devilish:
    You may not like the referee's decisions against you, but THAT is totally out of line.

blissett and KimLittle#Magic repped this.
  14. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Cameroon are owing the referee that one now. It could well have been a penalty and more salt in the wound.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Blatant penalty. The ref doesn’t want another row :ninja:

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ref makes the right call on the foot stomp on the box.

duality72 repped this.
  17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It doesn’t look like that at full speed. She was going to defend and ref got in her way. She put her arms out trying to defend

MiLLeNNiuM, jnielsen and duality72 repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In this match we have seen the good and the bad and the ugly of FIFA refereeing and VAR but mostly it has been the latter two. VAR is not just about being right but it should be about making players confident that calls are fair and evenly applied.
    First there was the obvious thrown elbow in the first few minutes that should have been a straight red but was only a yellow and really a yellow was not punishment at all for a clear attempt to injure.
    Then there was the backpass call. While I think it was correct it should have been reviewed in person by the referee to be sure the ball was hit with the foot as other backpasses, ie hitting with the shin, are OK.
    Then there was the reversal of the offside call leading to the goal. Again the ref was too lazy to go and look herself.
    Then there was the offside call on Cameroon's goal and again the ref was too lazy to look herself.
    Then we have all the excessive complaining and arguing by Cameroon and the ref allows it without even one yellow and that leads to even more complaining.

There have been numerous other places where the ref shows nothing but that she is a coward and lacks the ability to control the match,

She was excused because she talked to players and avoided giving cards BUT that simply shows that she is bad for the match and is simply doing the job for the paycheck and the camera time.

From the first this match was doomed by the poor and cowardly refereeing. The better team is winning but that is happening in spite of the ref.

MiLLeNNiuM, chad, kennytt and 1 other person repped this.
  19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    75' 3-0 Kirby taps square right at 15m right post, Yango(?) steps into her right toes, she goes down. Taylor one-touch shot at 13m 1-left, shanks it way high over 6-right foot. That's the Taylor who plays for Reign FC :inlove:

76' 3-0 VAR check for pk :eek: ... no.

78' 3-0 England subs in (2 of 3) #23 Lucy Staniforth for #8 Jill Scott.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And VAR check denies a penalty to England ....

21. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    England look pretty good attacking. Defensively they seem a bit suspect but that might be due to the circumstances of the game

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80' 3-0 Walsh plays Parris down box right to 6m, fast ground cross to 6-top 1/4 right for Taylor running down centerline, Ngo Ndom dives and catches.

82' 3-0 Taylor chases a longball to 16m mid-left, races Ngo Ndom coming out to 13m, chips waist-high right outstep over Ngo Ndom. Ball bounces slowly toward left post, Johnson chases it and clears over endline left.

84' 3-0 England subs in (3 of 3) #14 Leah Williamson for #7 Nikita Parris.

85' 3-0 Onguene chases to arc top right, square pass left to Feudjio(?). Backpass to arc top, Abena shoots right foottop to left post, Bardsley drops it but catches the bounce.

86' 3-0 Cameroon blasts a ball upfield -- off R1? Crowd goes oooh. This game :(

23. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  24. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Spot on.

Slow mo is not always illimuminating

MiLLeNNiuM and jnielsen repped this.
  25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Refs don’t check these calls. The VAR team check specifically to see it any part of the body is offside and then inform the ref of that fact.