NZ Union (domestic league)

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by BhoysFC1995, Sep 15, 2004.

1. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    so is anyone watching the NPC on FSW? does anyone follow it?

this saturday night at midnight Otago and Waikito meet.

current standings after 5 games-
    Team Points
    Taranaki 23
    Wellington 20
    North Harbour 16
    Waikato 16
    Canterbury 14
    Bay of Plenty 14
    Otago 11
    Auckland 9
    Southland 5
    Northland 0

the domestic league is the 3rd level of pro rugby in NZ. its goes
    NPC-->Super 12(14?)-->All Blacks

there are actually 3 levels of the NPC. Super 12 players come back to play on their domestic teams too. guys in the NPC try to make a name for themselves & get the call up to a super 12, then the ultimate call-up to the ALL BLacks.

2. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    In previous years I liked watching Otago, because I was a real Tony Brown fan. He was a vicous, cocky #10 who tackled well. He looked like some white savage who came in from the jungle and landed on a rugby field. Now he is playing in Japan.

For this year, I'll follow the odd game, but without a rooting interest.

3. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Watched the Otago/Waikato match, which Waikato won. With the discussion of expansion of Super 12 and Tri-Nations, there is talk of All Blacks not playing in NPC anymore. I don't know how interested I'd be in NPC if that happened, but I can imagine that this would hurt the All Blacks.

The viewing interest in this match was ABs Anton Oliver for Otago and Byron Kelleher for Waikato. But each are in-and-out of the AB lineup, 60-80% in the national system. What happens if ABs don't play NPC? Is there more of a "lock" into the national system, financial commitments being made by August before NPC starts? So there will certain ABs "locked" into national team bench status, rather than floating back to NPC for some playing time. What about injury replacements?