NYRB vs. Revs, 7/5 P/I/P

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Revs in 2010, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USOC Quarter-final preview. No Agudelo, Rowe or Watson. Diego will be back (and probably raring to go). Will we see our home form continue or will our recent head-up-our-butts play continue?

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of a 3-game homestand, although they have 16 days off between game 1 and game 2.

Last win (USOC not included) was June 3rd (a month ago). Since then, the Revs are 0-3, 1 GF, 7 GA. Delamea is the only Rev with a goal in that stretch.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Tony play tonight? Saw a tweet of him training with a mask on.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three of the home games in this stretch are winnable. In other words, the summer losing streak should end ... should.

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Do we have any idea who is missing from NY? I saw Grella is out for year, but don't know about Gold Cup stuff.

Besides the Revs poor form, all the other Eastern Conference games have been going against them too.

If they lose tonight, they will be looking at a steep hill to climb just to get into the playoffs as the 6th seed with a current 8 point gap.

Of course, I would expect them to have the ambitions to be challenging for MLS Cup and winning the Supporter's Shield and Eastern Conference titles.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...land-revolution-vs-new-york-red-bulls/preview

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs:

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Hard to sit at work, when thinking about cold beverage and awesome weather for tonight.

Of course, already cringing for the BP-Slant when I rewatch on DVR. If they lose or draw, it will be excuse central, if they win - then Heaps is a genius.

Revs in 2010 repped this.
  10. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    They should just cut Kamara. Just terrible

a517dogg repped this.
  11. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no doubt on how this would end and I agree on Kamara.....useless. Teal played his ass off but we can't score enough to overcome the defensive screw ups that lose games for us

12. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't help but think the shot of Jay Heaps on the sideline at the end of the match was a "goodbye" image. The Bob was there tonight with Jonathan, so I'm hoping they make a visit to the locker room post-game.

Agree that Kamara was just going through the motions, but Lee Nguyen joking and smiling with the Red Bulls post match (which Paul Mariner properly described as a gut punch) puts him first in line to be gone in my mind. If I were his teammate and saw that, I'd be pi$$ed.

a517dogg repped this.
  13. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must win, didn't win. Fire Heaps.

a517dogg, pwykes, RevsLiverpool and 2 others repped this.
  14. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, the anger starts with the back 6, or more precisely at Burns for not finding better.

There is no way Cropper, Farrell, Tierney, Anguoa and Caldwell should all be starting. Every team is going to have their weakest position, but this is ridiculous. Goalkeeper, the entire backline and d-mid were problems last year, and yet they can't seem to address them. So frustrating.

sean'o repped this.
  15. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine how this team would look if it had someone up top who could actually score -- a Josef Martinez or a Nikolic, say. Instead, we're blessed with Kai Kamara, who is more disappointing with every game that goes by.

Yoo-hoo, transfer window! Over here!

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP (sadly)

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Kamara in the starting XI is basically playing a man down. Femi, Agudelo, Kamara - none of the guys up top are any good. Time to fire Heaps and put in Llamosa as interim. Play Wright, give Herivaux minutes and see what we have for next year.

18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That game was as simple as the Red Bulls made halftime adjustments and Heaps didn't. Also, still want to review the video to check if Dellamea was busy getting a hot dog during that final goal.

They need someone to come in and completely remake this organization. Surprised to hear Krafts were at the game. Was there a big Patriots meeting today?

19. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were there for the fireworks.

A Casual Fan, MM66 and goussoccer repped this.
  20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Lee did all he could. He had a very good game and scored a class goal. Many killer passes. I'm sure he wanted to win but dont mind him smiling if we didnt. Not his fault

Kamara has to go. I think he's useless. Problem is, who would want him? and Im sure we're gonna eat a pile salary no matter what happens

I dont know what Teal was on but what ever is was, give some to the other guys. He was on fire last night. The problem continues to be poor decisions by some on defense. Some on the defense and some on the lack of defensive pressure by halfbacks that have to pick up people in front of the defense. Where were they? We scored 2 goals and that should have been enough to win but it isnt when we allow three.

Also, Heaps has to go

21. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) The Revs too often perform at a level that is less than the sum of their parts: They should have won last night. They should have figured out a way to win some of their road games. They should be a playoff team. They have the talent for that. This is on the coach.

2) The Revs need better parts: At the same time, the talent isn't good enough to make up for poor coaching and inconsistency. They need at least a few upgrades to their best eleven. This is on the GM.

3) The Revs need more parts: Who could have predicted that national team call-ups and injuries would have happened? God forbid you have more options on your roster so you can make up for that and not have to rely too heavily on guys who should be your C team players. This is on the owners/COO.

They could fix 1 right now and have a chance to get themselves into the playoffs. Changing 2 is a must for the long term. Changing 3 is a harder proposition because I don't think the owners are going anywhere, but a better COO could perhaps play a role in getting the owners to adjust their thinking and also be more adept at getting the organization to maximize their returns within the parameters set by the owners.

Fire Heaps, Fire Burns, and put BB on a very tight leash. Otherwise, no hope of positive change.

A Casual Fan, pwykes, CynicRev and 4 others repped this.
  22. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 teskicks, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    But BB says player acquisition is not the GM's role. That is on the coaches.

This entire organization needs to be be rebuilt from the ground up and that includes putting more resources into all levels. The academy needs it's own facility and needs to be a much broader base to the pyramid. The coaches need to coach. I have not seen much development of younger players and from what I have heard, if you are not part of the top 15 players you don't get much attention paid to you. There needs to be a FULL scouting program including full time scouts that are looking all over the world. The GM needs to take full advantage of all resources. Why is there TAM and GAM money left unused every year? Why are there empty roster spots every year? If the owner let the Patriots be run like this they would not be the champions they are.

BERich, goussoccer and a517dogg repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, even when we were playing well, stinging passes together and making good runs in the first half and going into HT with a 2-1 lead, I just knew it wasn't going to end well. As someone said earlier, Marsch made some adjustments at halftime and Heaps didn't. Heaps doesn't have the creativitty, imagination, foresight, tactical acumen or strategic thinking to stay ahead of Marcsh's moves. Like playing checkers when the other guy is playing chess.

And even the Homer Brigade agreed that the Revs got lucky that they didn't get another PK call agains them. Paul, after the game: "You have to feel gutted for Jay Heaps, he thought his team was playing so well, only to lose in the 90th minute..." NO Paul, we don't. I don't feel bad for a manager who has shown, time and time again, that he is incapable of making in-game tactical adjustments to counter what the other team is doing.

It is time for Heaps to go. It has been for a long time. I never thought I would be actively rooting for them to lose in the Open Cup, but it might be the best thing for us right now. We don't need any more threads of false hope, we need change, right now. Whey you can't win at all away from home, even to crap, bottom dwellers like Philly and mediocre teams like Seattle when you've got a 3-0 lead at 75 minutes, you damn well better win all your home games. Like this one, which was absolutely winnable.

Heaps must go!

BERich repped this.
  24. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    (Cue "Three Blind Mice"...)

This team sucks.
    This team sucks.
    What must be done?
    What must be done?
    We still must fire "The Stooges Three":
    Jay Heaps, Bilello and Mike "Burnsie".
    Let's also get rid of Kraft apathy,
    'Cause this team sucks.
    This team SUCKS!!!

a517dogg, NFLPatriot, patfan1 and 4 others repped this.
  25. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody has stated before that the Revs have less players on the roster so that they can spread the money around a little more to those on the roster. The result appears to me that the Revs are overpaying the guys they have. The concept of "value" is not being enforced as it pertains to a players salary vs. his contributions vs. his worth on the open market.

To that end, it is true across the league that no team actually gives real minutes to more than 17 players (I think that is the number, I posted it somewhere in the last year or two) so I cannot get too upset that we have open spots as it pertains to how things go on the field this year. What those spots could become in the future is a different discussion/issue for me.

How do the Revs compare to other teams when you compare players 1 - 11? If you make that comparison and the result you see is better than our position in the standings, then you look at Heaps.

How do the Revs compare to other teams when you compare players 12 - 17? I think the result of this comparison is going to reflect negatively on Burns. He settles for less given the same budget as all the other teams.

I have long thought that change will come by replacing Heaps. He writes the script for players 1-11 (14). I continue to hope that this will happen. I continue to believe that it will not happen regardless of results in the league or any tournament. He will be given credit for Revs time served and will be given the ability to complete his A license coaching class.

Suppose that Heaps is fired. Do you think he finishes the licensing class? Do you think he ever coaches at the professional level again? If you answer no to either of those questions, then ask yourself why he is coaching today.