NYRB vs. Houston Sat. 4/1 @ 8:30pm ET on MSG [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Improve the defending and get a road goal. I don't care about the score.

goindownsouth repped this.
  2. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    100%. I am tipping Gudbrandsen to find the net in this one.

3. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm having trouble drumming up much confidence for this one. Houston has won both their home games so far and looked good doing it. Meanwhile we've been well short of decent attacking ideas and I think our two clean sheets are more a reflection of our opponent than us.

Gulbrandsen did all he could to take the RSL game on his shoulders but even then, Matt Doyle pointed out after the game that he only completed 3 out of 13 passes in the attacking half. Still a lot of work to do to get him and BWP on the same page.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know all those games where we make other teams look terrible but still end up losing because they were lucky we couldn't finish?

We're on the other side of that right now.

The defense is a dumpster fire. The results are covering it up.

Goals will come eventually. Either they will figure this formation out in the attacking third or they'll go to something else. Goals will come. Too much attacking talent for it not to. However, we are going to be one of the worst defensive teams in the league if they don't make a move.

Edit: Just listened to Extratime Radio. Ben "the research" Baer just said we're second in the league right now in "big chances given up" behind...Minnesota. It's a problem.

iced1776 repped this.
  5. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think having legitimate FBs would help. Zizzo and Bilyeu do not fit the tactical needs of the 4-2-2-2. Hopefully Lawrence and Murillo (or Lade) can start papering over the lack of first-rate talent at CB.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got half of what I wanted. Defense still stinks.

7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What a great first 13 minutes. Etienne was looking lively and we got a classic Kljestan to BWP goal.

Then everything else happened. Strange game with controversial goals, but Houston had so many great chances that they really deserved 4 anyway. Its tough to even point to one or two things wrong, because the team hasn't ever looked quite right yet in 2017. They consistently look unorganized and mistake prone.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The defense.
    2. The defense.

9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah there's a clear lack of talent and continuity in the back four, but its not like the guys ahead of them are doing a lot to help defensively either. We're yet to come up against particularly strong competition so far but it seems like other teams are able to pass out of their end and dictate the game way more than we've seen over the last two years.

10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I miss Dax. There, I said it.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think the only bright spot so far this season has been the play of Felipe Davis and Adams. Possession numbers are still very high and teams are NOT running straight down the center of our defense.

We're conceding butt loads of good chances because the defensive line is making horrendous errors again and again. We aren't scoring goals because our finishing has been terrible.