News: NYRB 2010 Draft Selections

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Nella FC 85, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 - Conor Chin, University of San Francisco, F, (age) 22

2. redbullandvodka

redbullandvodka New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Jersey City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Twitter:

4. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irving Garcia:

Ives on Garcia from a couple of days ago:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=724435&sec=mls&root=mls&cc=5901

5. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 - Tony Tchani, University of Virginia, M, (age) 20
    #14 - Austin da Luz, Wake Forest University, M, (age) 22
    #18 - Tim Ream, Saint Louis University, D/M, (age) 22
    #34 - Conor Chin, University of San Francisco, F, (age) 22
    #50 - Irving Garcia, Univ. of California - Irvine, M/F, (age) 21

And that folks is our 2010 Super Draft. I know a lot of people will be disappointed about not getting Duka but I have to say I think the Red Bulls had a good draft! I give our draft a B++ and I fully expect 2-3 of these guys to be good MLS players and playing with us hopefully for a long time. And perhaps the other will be diamonds in the rough.

This was from Ives mock draft:

He really dropped down, but if the kid is as skilled as they say he is I'm happy to have other pass over him! I'll be rooting for you Garcia! :D

6. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey guys,

Congrats on picking up Tim Ream who was a quality player from day one here at SLU. You will like this kid from the start Never takes a minute off, sublime touch, great left foot on deadballs, excellent distribution from back, better speed than expected, good size, and very good defensive instincts. In addition, this is one quality individual as well. I speak from experience as he agreed to attend a winter training session for my boys club team last year and did a stand up job for us. I'm really looking forward to seeing him progress and become a top notch MLS player for some time.

7. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Kami! From what you wrote he seems like a very good soccer player and an even better person! Very happy to have all of them with us and I must say great draft by the coaching staff, Soler and Backe definitely showed us something by putting any egos away and relying on Richie and Des. Well done! :)

8. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear. I hope he can impress and make the team. God knows we need help. Is he better as a central defender or left back?

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think Tchani, Bream and da Luz will all be able to help the team. Garcia seems more likely to stick than Chin; but who knows? If I had to guess, I'd say that Red Bulls will make some additional moves, maybe pick up a veteran central defender. They let a lot of college CD's go by in the draft and picked up several mids. Even if that is just letting the talent dictate how you draft, I think this means they still need another back. I can also still see them picking up VDB. But, at this point, Dallas is going to have to fork over a mint to get that allocation slot.

10. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ream had a ridiculous number of assists for a defender (back in high school). still i hope he has the skills to deliver to jpa's head.

11. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If the new comments about ream are true, i think that the Draft was very good for us and Team Soler & co made a good work there.

Its a shame to look Duka in yellow jerseys, but hell, there are always casualities on war.

12. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C- until I'm proven wrong.

13. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would like to know why you think they didn't do a good job? We have a lot of skillful players who know how to play.

14. Carbonero

Carbonero Red Card

May 10, 2008
    how is the draft a failure ?

Da Luz Tchani Hall

Stammler

looks like a decent midfield to me ! we actually have one this year !

but seriously, Da luz played very well in the college cup moreso than Bone in my opinion. That left foot is lethal , and playing off of Tchani will be a pleasure to watch . and that garcia kid looks good too. To be honest, RB looks to be in good shape.

15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was wondering why Red Bull didnt pick Siriboe? Anyway, they had a nice draft and i hope most of these kids pan out and are in a Red Bulls shirt for a long time to come. Liked picking Garcia with the last pick!!

16. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? How about some reasons

17. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall I like what we did and would give us a B. If they had been able to find a way to get both Duka and Tchani, while swinging a deal with Dallas for DVB it could have been an A, but I have no idea what they were asking. Really like what I've heard/seen of Tchani and Da Luz looks exciting. Not sure about the Albright deal, but there was no way were going to be using all those picks. Who knows how the later round guys will pan out? Garcia seems intriguing.

18. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it not?

We pretty much had Duka and VDB handed to us on a silver platter, yet we never pulled the trigger for a trade.

Our draft became a failure when Duka was picked by Columbus.

19. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has VDB gone somewhere else? No, he's still available if we want him and if you believe Ives Dallas aren't even asking for very much.

I love how people who had never even heard of Dilly Duka a year ago have all of a sudden decided he's the one and only savior of our club.

20. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we had a good draft. From these 4 commentators, Ream looks like the most questionable pick and Tchani looks like a slam dunk. Tchani is like the one player even more than Philly's pick who people are unanimous on. Garcia looks like he might be a steal as Chin.

I have not watched almost all of these players, but from some of commentators like Ives, Buzz Carrick from 3rd degree, Drew Epperly and Joe Mauceri from Pro Player Pipeline, there is a real mixed reaction on Da Luz with some loving his playmaking and attacking others not so. I saw clips from Da Luz who looks like exactly what we need who along with Tchani will help feed Angel and hopefully Henri.

There is also some mixed responses on Tim Ream, but fairly universal good responses on Connor Chin who might have been a steal and Irving Garcia. See the following links where I saw this info:

We all know Ives-
    Ives also had Garcia in mid 2nd. Ives was not that hot on Ream and had him going in the late 3rd. I hope the person who commented is right on Ream as each of these 4 commentators had Ream lower.

Here under the column MLS 2010 Superdraft you can see the live blogs of both Buzz Carrick and Drew Epperly. I liked just hearing the commentary on the players.

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/

Joe Mauceri from Pro Player Pipeline gave his rankings with letter grades
    http://proplayerpipeline.wordpress.com/

21. kami

kami Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Saint Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ream had to play central this year because one of our senior starters was injured. He also played there a few times last year when our All American Calum Angus was hurt. Can he play there? Yes. Was he a natural? Not sure on that one. To me, Ream was a a leader due to effort and grit, not vocally, and taking that into account and with my bias toward vocal center backs, I believe he may not fit naturally as a center back. Can he grow into it? Absolutely and he does have plenty of experience playing the middle of the field as he played central mid in high school and again had a lot of time there in his final two years at SLU. But I think he is better on the wing and is deceptively good at getting forward on the attack. SLU used him constantly out of the back to get up the wing and get a good service in or simply take it in for a shot. Ream has two very good moves he uses relentlessly and he even talked about these in the winter session he ran for my boys. His most skillful one is a basically a Cruyff-like pull back after a dead run forward. I mean the kid grabs that ball so softly behind his back foot you wonder if he was running that hard or not. Second, he does a great job of deceiving people with a hip shuffle where he shows out but drags the ball back inside and explodes forward.

What else? Can't tell you how many times I said, "Wow" from a pin point, 25 yard laser point pass he made to someone across the field or the touch he showed in bringing down a ball with his left foot.

I don't want to hype him too much as I know the MLS is full of great players and its faster than college ball, but Ream took to college ball like it was a normal day at the beach, so I'm guessing his learning curve will be rather steep in the MLS. Again, don't question his character, work ethic, or desire. He's in it at all times.

22. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks kami. Good stuff.

23. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/ream_tim00.html
    sure that's high school but it's still impressive for a defender. maybe he swung it in for the left corners for his team.

24. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine Chinn sticking. The guy is big but he really has to work on his mobility. he's 180.
    Then again Kenny Cooper is a beast too and really had to work at it.
    http://redbullsreader.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/new-york-red-bulls-mls-draft-recap/

Garcia looks better in games where he actually had to play for his team rather than himself. The combine forces kids to play more selfishly. Garcia looked like he was trying to pull out all the tricks in the bag from the combine clips. Not saying he isn't talented but I think that's what happens when you force kids who are all looking after their own stock to play together as a team.

25. Nella FC 85

Nella FC 85 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Bayamon PR/NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some stories about Tchani!

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/cavalier_insider/ci_soccer/article/tchani_makes_his_way_to_acc_fame/45504/

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/rbny_tony_tchani_the_next_shalrie_iuvtP8jEzEKMZmLusbKuLK