NYCFC Stadium News (Or Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by sozopol, Aug 20, 2014.

1. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HudsonRiverBlues is an amateur site. A supporter on the NYCFC forum was in that same meeting and basically said much of that timeline was not really what he said.

2. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The (NYCFC) President...didn’t rule out a stadium deal getting done before the end of this year.

In a related story, I have not ruled out getting Scarlett Johansson in my bed before the end of this year. Stay tuned.

onefineesq and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's saying if you help me back in the office might consider the NYCFC stadium in Willetspoint.
    "Melinda Katz, who is running for re-election as Queens borough president, told the Queens Chronicle that supports building a soccer stadium over an ice hockey arena in Willets Point in the near future."

5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  7. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a hell of a lot easier. LIRR has a Belmont stop. That connects Jamaica and Penn station so that's rail access for Manhattan and queens. Plus you get to take over the entire LI youth soccer market.

8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But not as easy to get to as Harrison.

Cavan9 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long Island is not the 5 boroughs the last time I looked in a map .Through the yrs LI proved despite so many youth clubs is not a good market for pro soccer .
    The initial promise was to build the soccer stadium within the 5 boroughs but now its a rush to build the damn thing anywhere ..

10. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    While it's true that Long Island is not the Five Boroughs, this location is literally right on the border between New York City and Long Island. Belmont Park sits about 150 feet from the City line. So, if ever there could be a special case, this is it. Even the New York City Fair was held in Belmont Park.

That said, this still is not a good location for a stadium for NYCFC. The LIRR's Belmont Park station serves only two trains a day in each direction, and then only during racing season. Unless the LIRR turned this into a full-time station, this location would be accessible only by driving, which is not a good look for an NYCFC team which has built its identity on serving the people of New York City by being easily reachable by subway.

Perhaps Yankee Stadium will have to be this club's home indefinitely.

Onionrings and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  11. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. She promised she would never cheat on me.

12. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else find it interesting the team was totally quiet about stadium news until the Connecticut snafu? Seems to me that ever since there's been a whole lot of news leaking out. Just in the last several days we've heard about:

1. The bid being made on the Elmont property.

2. Interest in the old Elmhurst Dairy site.

3. This article in the NY Times https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/...ection/sectioncollection/soccer&action=click& that mentions a site we never heard of before (Harlem River Yards) and that the GAL Elevator site may be back in play.

4. I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but during last night's match vs Montreal they were actually discussing stadium sites for a few minutes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall them ever talking about a SSS for NYCFC in almost 3 full years of broadcasting matches. And Joe Tolleson was even giving a nudge-nudge-wink-wink when talking about GAL.

Food for thought, I guess.

13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am concerned that this may simply be them dangling carrots, but I am optimistic that progress is being made. After the CT problem, Patricoff held meeting with season ticket holders, and it sounds like they were pretty open to comments. One thing that people constantly told him is that they want to hear more about what's going on with the stadium, so I believe it is the result of those meetings, not just the CT snafu itself, that is driving this increased information.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  14. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Cosmos first made their Belmont proposal (four years ago?), it was calculated that in their plan, about one-eighth of the field would be inside New York City. The city line would run roughly from a corner flag at one end of the field to a point about halfway between the corner and the goal at the other end. Don't know if the positioning of the field is exactly the same in the NYCFC proposal or not.

But, as Ferdinand says, this is a poor location. The minimal amount of Long Island Railroad service doesn't come close to making up for the fact that the nearest subway station is miles away.

Ferdinand Cesarano repped this.
  15. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #341 whill4, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Hell has officially frozen over.

They should try to work out a deal to play there when Yankee Stadium isn't available. Much better than Connecticut.

17. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t mind the Citified we went there see Greece vs Ecuador it was’t bad except the concession stands where a handful were open
    I would go and have a good excuse to try shake shack for the first time

18. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Mets fan, so I'm extremely biased, but I slightly prefer it to Yankee Stadium.

Fiosfan repped this.
  19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So as I posted elsewhere, take this with a huge grain of salt, but I heard a rumor that if Newton's Creek could get cleaned up, this could happen:

Attached Files:

whill4 and Fiosfan repped this.
  20. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    It makes sense. There's land available there. While it's not on top of a subway line. There are 2 that go by area and the main east river Manhattan crossover lines about 10 blocks north. There's major gentrification going on along East river at Hunters point going north thru the con-ed facility. Rail terminal is almost right there.

21. mitch9881

mitch9881 Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would build a stadium suspended OVER a creek???

22. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  23. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #348 whill4, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Ha, I saw others talking about this but didn't know you were the origin.

No idea how feasible it is to build a stadium over water so ships can still freely travel underneath. But it would easily be one the most interesting stadiums in North America if they pulled that off.

923019274146467840 is not a valid tweet id

dark knight repped this.
  24. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I don't think it's feasible. It would probably be cheaper just to bite the bullet and overpay for prime real estate somewhere else.

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States