NYCFC Stadium News (Or Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by sozopol, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never argue with Dark Knight!

dark knight repped this.
  2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    That's So Claudio!

Now on Disney XD.

3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

4. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a shame that baseball stadiums taking up all the real estate in nyc. Can't wait to see baseball die

napolisoccer repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there will be a big drop off in season ticket sales for 2017 based on the number of unoccupied seats this season.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be some space available in Midtown East when Trump kicks out the UN.

8. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly but I don't think it'll be huge though maybe a few thousand. I'm hoping this gives the club the extra push towards getting its own stadium as that would be a huge boost to season ticket sales as well as improving the overall health of the club.

9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dark knight repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Is it true NYCFC do not pay rent in exchange for Yankees stake in the team?

If so its not ideal but worst case scenario NYCFC can afford to stick around YS for a bit.

soccerlee14 repped this.
  12. soccerlee14

soccerlee14 Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Believe you are right so it does make sense that they can hang on until the right situation occurs and a more open Mayor comes into office. It took DC over a decade and finally 2 Mayors wanting to act on getting something done for it to get to this point and we aren't quite to the finish line yet so hang in there NYCFC. Hope they get the right location like the great location D.C. United has finally landed on!

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be waiting a while.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  14. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I don't think there is any lease as far as I know. They've always made it sound like they will stay at Yanke stadium for however long it takes to find somewhere permenenet

15. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If the Yankees would be reasonable and allow for the removal of the pitcher's mound for NYCFC games, then the pitch could be laid out in a more sensible configuration, with one corner near home plate, as is done at other baseball stadiums that have hosted soccer. This would allow for a football pitch that's wider than 70 metres, and it would also take care of the weird sightlines.

Even if the orientation of the pitch were not changed, the removal of the mound would buy quite a bit more width.

The Yankees' intransigence on this issue is unfortunate; removing and replacing the mound cannot possibly be a huge technical hurdle. But, even with that annoyance, the good aspects of being at that park (including, as mentioned, not having to pay rent) are significant.

16. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Is there something worse than Ultimate Fighting? I didn't see the Hunger Games but I suppose that will gobble up baseball's prime real estate eventually. And I'll be over on the Rollerball boards bitching about how Jonathan's washed up.

tallguy repped this.
  17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like big time pro wrestling for violent and stupid people.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine that at some point the Yankees will get tired of this whole thing and then it's a major paradigm shift for NYCFC.

19. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I don't think so. It's a good way to maximize stadium usage.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but not in a necessarily good way. They could find events for the stadium that aren't as labor-intensive and don't potentially harm the core business.

There's no real reason for the Yankees to have pretended to have any sort of affection for soccer itself. They're a baseball club. That's what they do. There's no Clive Toye on staff, no champion for the game. I'm sure they tolerate it for now when it's drawing 25k. But I do not expect their ardor would remain at a high level indefinitely.

21. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC

Finding any event for stadium that size isn't that easy. Most concerts are done in arenas or football stadiums. Baseball stadiums don't see much actions barring they are the only big stadium in the area, which Yankee Stadium ain't. MetLife Stadium will take bulk of concerts that need big capacity, and even that is not too many.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only negative is having to constantly redo the field in between games. But other than that, it's just more money in the Yankee's pockets. The big concern was whether soccer would ruin the field or not, and so far thankfully, the grass has been holding up well for both sports for the most part.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  23. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC

Concessions alone would pay for the expense and more I would think.

whill4 and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  24. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the Steinbrenner's have gone on record as saying they love soccer and I think that is a partial reason as to why the Yankees are involved as minority owners. I think they'll be patient but I also think the Yankees and the team are actively trying to get something done stadium wise just takes time.

25. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I honestly do not believe there is a current plan in place, nor do I believe we see a stadium for this team in the near future. Garber's Q&A with ESPNFC definitely made it seem like they know there is no chance at this time and that the Yankee's stadium is their only hope at playing in NYC proper.